Electric Bow Mount Questions..

Jaso

So i've got myself a little boat again (4.2m tiller steer tinny) and thinking about putting a bow mount electric on it.

Questions I have:

- The boat is a deep v hull. What length of shaft would i need, and how powerful does it need to be for that boat?

- The boat doesnt have a casting deck, but it has a flat floor in it. How long does the foot control cable reach? Im thinking that it would need to run over the top of the front bench seat and sit just behind it on the floor.. would that reach?

- Is it possible to keep the battery down the back of the boat?

Cheers.

So i've got myself a little boat again (4.2m tiller steer tinny) and thinking about putting a bow mount electric on it.

Questions I have:

- The boat is a deep v hull. What length of shaft would i need, and how powerful does it need to be for that boat?

- The boat doesnt have a casting deck, but it has a flat floor in it. How long does the foot control cable reach? Im thinking that it would need to run over the top of the front bench seat and sit just behind it on the floor.. would that reach?

- Is it possible to keep the battery down the back of the boat?

Cheers.

20142[/snapback]

Hi Jaso

The smallest saltwater bow-mount Minn Kota make is the Riptide RT55, the shaft length for that model is 54 inches. Longer shaft models are available in the bigger MK's, I'm not sure whether they're available in the RT55 model as well.

The cable leading to the foot control on the 55AP (auto-pilot) model is very long, you shouldn't have any worries there.

You can have the battery anywhere you like, but whether or not that's the best place to balance the boat is something you'll have to experiment with yourself while on water.

Pukka

Just be careful if you buy a RT55 because they come in a 48in shaft as well.

I had a deep V tinny (Quintrex Dart) and I had a Motorguide bow mount electric on it and had the battery down the back behind the thwart and I ran conduit up the middle under the floor.

I also put in a front casting deck, rear deck and a livewell in the rear thwart.

let me know if you want any more pics or details.

post-166-1100845709_thumb.jpg

post-166-1100845803_thumb.jpg

Also - wondering if anyone has bought a minn kota freshwater model with foot control, and how things have gone with corrosion?

Ken kindly emailed me pics of the anode you can put on the shaft, but Im wondering how well sealed the foot controller and electronics are for use in saltwater on the minn kotas (non riptide)?

Im looking at getting a riptide 55 in the US shortly (as I am travelling there), but Im finding they are harder to source than the freshwater models - so looking at alternatives. Also cost is a factor, and if I can get a better deal with on a freshwater model Im prepared to get one if it can be maintained.

Cheers all. :1prop:

Edited by Jaso

I have heard that a few people use the FW model in salt. I dont think the foot control will be a problem. Its either water proof or its not! Apparently a good rinse and an application of Inox or similar is all that is needed.