23 Flattie Salute

Good work again, mate - sounds like you're a fan of GULP! Watching a flattie come from nowhere and inhaling your lure is awesome fun :yahoo: - I've had it happen in 0.5m deep water about a rodlength from my feet - now that's a surprise! :074:

Flattieman.

Good work again, mate - sounds like you're a fan of GULP! Watching a flattie come from nowhere and inhaling your lure is awesome fun :yahoo: - I've had it happen in 0.5m deep water about a rodlength from my feet - now that's a surprise! :074:

Flattieman.

Thanks Flattieman,

Was it a big lizard that hit your lure?

Im a big fan of the GULP! as they're biodegradable, it makes it easier to see them get eaten if they're not poisonous!! (And they work!!!!)

Another pic, just for kicks...

post-4050-1179744391_thumb.jpg

Was it a big lizard that hit your lure?

A decent size - around 50cm. I have had a visual strike from a "real" biggun (70cm++) about three metres away from me in verrrrry skinny water - smashed the lure and proceeded to strip line before spitting the lure. It was my fault, though - I backed off my drag too much after another biggun bit throught the 4lb trace at my feet. I did land one 65cm fish that day on 4lb trace... 1/3... hmm... not my best day :mad3: .

Flattieman.

• 2 weeks later...

After getting so many mid range flatties on sp's I decided to get the big lures out for a rip or two in search of some larger varieties.

I had hit after hit on 100mm squidgie fish and 100mm shads, with only a 46cm (guess) hookup. Then i became snagged really badly, so i pulled the line..... pulling..... shit.... its moving.

The stradic starts ticking over...tic....tic..tic... then zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Finally! A fish to test my G Loomis on!

I lost more line in the first 5 minutes than i gained, but after what seemed like an hour reclaiming the 4 pound fireline crystal, my 4lb leader breached the surface. Then a massive splash from the fishes tail, i couldn't believe the size of it.

PB Flattie... 81cm

post-4050-1180525501_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Having been trapped indoors for the past fortnight, i was itching to go out for hard body flick this arvo. Recently ive been practicing my bream luring tecniques using info shared by fellow fishraiders and friends, but ive had limited success, having only caught a couple of tiddler snapper :074:

Anyhow i went out to 40 baskets to try my luck and after a number of casts with an sx40, i nabbed my first legal bream, it came in at 34cm and put up a great fight on my 4lb braid.

Thanks to all the raiders who helped me to get this far, its a blast!

post-4050-1182341884_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hey Raiders, Its been pretty quiet on the home front recently with too much work and too little play :thumbdown:

Ive been chasing Ep's at the moment and have caught 7 all up, mostly from manly lagoon but also from narrabeen lake. My biggest came in around 35cm and tell you what these suckers pull! After seeing reports of these natives i just had to get one. I will remember my camera next time :chair:

Anyhow, after buying some new lures i went on an "action testing" session, concentrating on casting accuracy and different surface tequniques. Im a nerd i know.

I fished the Narrabeen flats for an hour and got these two on a Smiths Towadie surface plug, it was definatly a first to get both a flattie and a whiting on a surface lure. Much fun indeed :thumbup:

post-4050-1186916584_thumb.jpg

I like the look of that towadie Bob. :biggrin2:

32cm is a good size mate. Well done on your PB :yahoo:

Edited by rzep

Well done bobfish! :thumbup: Is that the Linesystem or TD-sensor you're using mind if I ask? Looks *bling* *bling* eh :biggrin2: Ah, u've changed the towadi trebles as well ;)

Cheers

Ronald

Hey Ronald, Im running the 4lb TD-sensor and yeah the trebles are slightly bigger than standard....well spotted.

Ive also decided to keep my G loomis for snag casting, due to its grunt down low. For the flats i bought this Okuma Celilo which is a 1-3kg 6'6'' rod......super whippy and and can sling an unweighted softie a mile.

Bling Bling indeed. :thumbup: How do you like the Stradic??? I cant fault them at all.

Cheers mate, Bobfish

PS. I measured the Td-sensor with digital verniers and it came to 0.08mm thats eight hundredths of a mil :1yikes:

Hey Ronald, Im running the 4lb TD-sensor and yeah the trebles are slightly bigger than standard....well spotted.

Ive also decided to keep my G loomis for snag casting, due to its grunt down low. For the flats i bought this Okuma Celilo which is a 1-3kg 6'6'' rod......super whippy and and can sling an unweighted softie a mile.

Bling Bling indeed. :thumbup: How do you like the Stradic??? I cant fault them at all.

Cheers mate, Bobfish

PS. I measured the Td-sensor with digital verniers and it came to 0.08mm thats eight hundredths of a mil :1yikes:

With the Stradic, I was kinda worried at first when I loaded 3lb crystal fireline on it. It began giving heaps of wind knots and the line laying was out of place even when I under-fill the spool. :ranting2: I was practically struggling most times especially when using lightly weighted placcies. So thought might as well give PE a go and see if it was the reel problem. It's all good now. :thumbup: A little lightweight but still does its job.

Ronald

With the Stradic, I was kinda worried at first when I loaded 3lb crystal fireline on it. It began giving heaps of wind knots and the line laying was out of place even when I under-fill the spool. :ranting2: I was practically struggling most times especially when using lightly weighted placcies. So thought might as well give PE a go and see if it was the reel problem. It's all good now. :thumbup: A little lightweight but still does its job.

Ronald

Yeah, i encountered this problem whilst running crystal but with a slight change in technique and the new braid- problem solved.

I lapped the drag washers too, this has improved the drag out of sight, its smoothas now there's no stop start anymore :thumbup:

Bobfish

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Raiders,

Now that the flatties are starting to wake up again I ventured out today to have a flick. I was out for an hour before and after high tide. The weather was perfect! I flicked at the usual drop-offs but found the fish in shallow fast running water, hence the heavy jig-heads.

Im hoping to break the 90cm mark this season, so i'll mainly be spinning with softies 100mm and greater....the only problem with this is that everything under 90cm is by-catch!!!!!!

A couple of pics of the by-catch from this arvo.... great fun though!

post-4050-1187956511_thumb.jpg

Edited by bobfish