Please Help With These 2 Types Of Wrasse (Crimson Banded, Blue Throat)

mrelxr6

Question

hi guys.

i was out fishing the 7 mile beach on the perfect south coast today and we cought a few leather jackets and a couple of snapper.

we also fished in close to a rock platform.and we where catching these 2 types of fish 1 after another it was a joke.can you eat them?and if so are they any good?

http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/fishfact...h/olineolat.htm

http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/fishfacts/fish/ngymnog.htm

the second fish listed there was so similar but the ones we where catching had a yellow tail but same colours..

please help

12 answers to this question

Nathen, you most certainly can eat them but finding them big enough to make them worthwhile is the hard part. Crimson Banded Wrasse, Blue Throat, Purple you will commonly see in live fish tanks in Chinese Restraunts

Yep there good tucker.

B.F.

QLD maori wrasse, hump headed, was 70 cm + ( believe it or not) ??? top eating, but we could not touch

these ones, (marine zone) they "" would cut your hands off!

..cheers!..stevo!..

post-2889-1181135978_thumb.jpg

post-2889-1181136027_thumb.jpg

Edited by fishguts

Like i said...in my opinion. I rate bream and snapper on par with each other.. A couple of days ago i cooked a Crimson-banded Wrasse, Sargeant Baker and a bream... To my suprise, the baker was the nicest, followed by the wrasse and a distant 3rd was the bream. I'm no taste expert though.

next time i go down i will keep the buggers and try them

i tried a male crimson and thought it was average....

maori wrass are excellent.....

they are regular guests at me and my mates rock brekky sessions.... fillet... 6-7 minutes in a smoker.... toast and scrambled eggs... yummo...beats gettin brekky fom the shops... you get funny looks from ppl when you are cooking up a storm on the rocks at 7.30am

i tried a male crimson and thought it was average....

maori wrass are excellent.....

they are regular guests at me and my mates rock brekky sessions.... fillet... 6-7 minutes in a smoker.... toast and scrambled eggs... yummo...beats gettin brekky fom the shops... you get funny looks from ppl when you are cooking up a storm on the rocks at 7.30am

I agree southern Maori wrasse are one of my favourites....my girl love crimson banded wrasse. I just caught four big males for her at sunset down of ben buckler...