Getting To Forster When Towing Boat

arpie

Hi guys

When coming up to Forster (for those that may not have travelled this way before!) there are 2 turn offs from Highway 1 you can take.

THe first one is "The Lakes Way" and it is just past Bulladelah. It is the scenic route & goes past the Seal Rocks & Smith Lakes roads on the way to Forster. It is also a very steep, winding & narrow road & currently has road works going on about half way thru.

IF TOWING A BOAT I WOULD NOT USE THIS ONE!!

The better road to take is the turn off just past Nabiac (Failford Rd). It is well signposted & you have a nice 110kph freeway leading to it, virtually from Bulladelah. Much better road to take for first timers or boat towers!

Just make sure you follow HIGHWAY 1 the whole way. It is easy to miss a couple of the turns - especially when you have to turn left on the highway at Hexham to cross the Hunter River bridge & continue towards Forster/Pt Stephens. If you are in the right hand lane there (overtaking or what have you) you will miss the turn & end up in Newcastle!

Make sure your navigator (or your humble selves) keep an eye out for those 'odd' turns. Same thing when you are returning to Sydney on Sunday - it is very easy to miss the 'Sydney/freeway' turnoff, where the road splits & you may end up heading to Maitland if you are in the middle or r/h lane! In both cases the 'odd turn offs' are in 80 or 90kph zones, so to be safe, just stick in the left lanes till till you hit the 100kph zones & you'll be sweet!!

Cheerio & safe journey

Roberta

THe first one is "The Lakes Way" and it is just past Bulladelah. It is the scenic route & goes past the Seal Rocks & Smith Lakes roads on the way to Forster. It is also a very steep, winding & narrow road & currently has road works going on about half way thru.

Sound advice, Roberta!! We took this road last month on a trip up North; deliberately though, as I wanted to check out the camping area at Neranie on the top end of the Myall Lakes. Scenic yes, but it certainly wasn't overly pleasant in a diesel Rodeo loaded with camping gear and nearly 6m of Quintrex cuddy-cab on behind !!

Anyway, we ended up camping at Mungo Brush on the way back home so in hindsight could have avoided it.

Cheers!

Holmesie :-)

Edited by Holmesie

very good advise Roberta... i travel to Smiths lake alot and The Lakes Way is very windey and narrow in spots and could be a problem with newbies towing or even experianced guys if you get traffic or are not careful..one of the last bends before the 100km straight bit is very decieving and has even nearly caught me out the first time or two..... the Failford Rd exit is the one to use guys... its also quicker as no windey bits to deal with.....

the lakes up there are HUGE scenic & beautiful but beware lots of shallows and things to be careful of but highly recommended.... get a proper map and with common sense all will be good...... steve....

first pic shows orange route from Buladelah to Nabiac

post-792-1180592285_thumb.jpg

second and third from nabiac to failford rd turnoff and turn right at lakes way

post-792-1180592799_thumb.jpg

post-792-1180592890_thumb.jpg

4th pic shows rd thru tuncurry to forster

post-792-1180593106_thumb.jpg

finally look at the shallow sandy areas so take care photos taken long time ago so they have changed

post-792-1180593305_thumb.jpg

good luck all

Edited by rzep

Thanks for that, Bear - top shot of the sandy shallows! Must have been low tide when they took the pic! Can't be overstated! Very dangerous at speed!!!

Cheers

Roberta

• 4 weeks later...