Electric Boat Winch

heckendorfmortgage

Just my opinion but I hate the things. A mate of mine has one on his Steber and its a nightmare.

First off its on a wire cable which I hate, then you've got to run the cord to the car battery and hook it up.Then when you hook it up you have to fart arse around with the winch lock to get it to go. You then hit the button and it then takes for ever to wind up - really slow, not to mention noisy, every one stops and stares at the noise. Then you've got to pack it all up. Takes two or three times longer than a hand winch. It would'nt go one day either so we had to use it manually. The manual handle was only 5 inches long and kept slipping off- shitfight. :ranting2:

Like I say its just my experience with this one winch maybe it was just a dud, but its put me off them altogether. Maybe other types are better and easier to use, I sure hope so ! :1prop:

The old 'armstrong' brand winch on my trailer has seen better days, so I've been toying with the idea of buying an electric winch on. My boat is a 490SLC Haines Hunter and while its not too difficult to wind on at the end of the day but I like the idea of something easier.

Any good/bad reports either way????

Thanks

Michael

20760[/snapback]

I have Electric winch, brand is Powerwinch. I wouldn't go back to a manual winch.

Pulls the 20ft Cruise Craft no problem. No mucking around connecting up to battery atc, if you do it right. I have the plug in the rear of the car. Just open the door, pull it out & plug it in the winch. Takes no longer than having to get the winch handle out.

Not all that noisey, I don't reckon.

To let the boat go, simply back the clutch off & unhook.

Even has synthetic rope on it, so no more mucking around with cable.

Takes about 30 sec longer than a manual winch I reckon.

No more huffing & puffing :1clap::1clap::1clap:

Guest Big-Banana

Ive heard that if you double the rope over it winches a lot quicker. Iam sick of using a manual winch so might have to go research an electric winch. After having an electric anchor winch Iam hooked on that type of stuff.

Ive heard that if you double the rope over it winches a lot quicker. Iam sick of using a manual winch so might have to go research an electric winch. After having an electric anchor winch Iam hooked on that type of stuff.

21271[/snapback]

Are you talking about double line pulley??

It takes twice as long. Thats how I have mine setup. But it halves the workload on the winch. Takes about 3 mins to get the boat onto the trailer :thumbup: