ophet

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

445F Great effort,report and good king,

What brand,size and colour jig did you catch that fish on? Can you remember what the depth was where you caught it? Where abouts did you catch it? and what was it like to eat, any good?

THe way you are scoring kings at the moment, I think you can open up a charter business!! Cheers Kelvin

Ha ha, people like you would put me out of business Kelvin !!!!

Great hood there 445F

A really good milestone for you I am sure

Hope the relos appreciate yoour catch

cheers

inhlanzi

Thanks Inhlanzi. The siblings can't get enough of fresh Kingfish, they especially love having Sushimi!!!

445F Great effort,report and good king,

What brand,size and colour jig did you catch that fish on? Can you remember what the depth was where you caught it? Where abouts did you catch it? and what was it like to eat, any good?

Easy tiger, so many questions.....

Fish was caught on Pink 230gram River2Sea KNIFE jig. The fish was fine to eat, it did not taste any different to any other King, although cooking style needs to be modified cause the fillets are so thick.

I have been sworn to secrecy by Pageboy not to divulge his location, sorry....

Top fish & GREAT story!

Love kings that size, they make great Pearl Perch bait :1naughty:

G'day Heath, you would be used to seeing Kings of this size up your way !? This may even be considered a rat up there !!!

I have often wondered what I could catch if I used King fillets, it seems like such a waste though... But I guess I would swap a few King fillets for Pearl Pearch.

I was up your way in Easter, and went out on a charter. Jigged up a wahoo, but lost it at the boat, very disappointing. The boat did well though, heaps of trag jew, Kingfish, mackerel and pig fish.

445F,

Just wondering How long did it take you to land the fish? i know you said you can not say the name of the spot but can you tell me was it caught somewhere off Sydney or somewhere at Jervis Bay and can you tell me what depth was it caught in? comparing the fight of that fish as oppose to another king of that size but being caught in Summer, Which would you say was or would be the stronger fish and alot more of a fighter, the summer one?

445F,

Just wondering How long did it take you to land the fish? i know you said you can not say the name of the spot but can you tell me was it caught somewhere off Sydney or somewhere at Jervis Bay and can you tell me what depth was it caught in? comparing the fight of that fish as oppose to another king of that size but being caught in Summer, Which would you say was or would be the stronger fish and alot more of a fighter, the summer one?

More questions !!! Man, you are an inquisitive bugger.

When the adrenaline is pumping, 5 seconds may seem like 5 minutes, so I would be guessing here, but I guess the fight to take about 5 minutes.

I caught the fish off Sydney, and on Paqeboy's boat, not a charter. I can't recall the depth, but it was DEEP.

People say that fish in cold water don't fight as well, cause they are shut down, but this baby had plenty of fight in him and had a number of long hard bursts. He certainly was not lethargic and fought all the way to the top.

I would say though, that if I had caught a fish of this size inside the harbour, I would have had no chance. Firstly cause I would not have been using the heavy gear and rod, and also cause he would have bricked me on a reef or obstacle in seconds.

They don't have to run too far in shallower water, to find the reefs or snags. If you read some reports from Raiders during summer, a lot of guys got done by some big boys, in shallower water it is hard to stop them. Ask Kelvin about some of the bruisers that gave him a run, and lasted only a few seconds.

I was lucky to land my one, cause I reckon I stopped him just before he reached the reef. More luck then good fishing.

Thankyou for sharing your experience. Your report has motivated me to get up right now off this computer grab my rod and go for it.

Cheers to you :beersmile:

You just have to get out there and give it a go reddragon. That is how you gain your experience and give yourself a shot at catching the fish of a life time.

Hmmmmmmmmmm, I'm not too sure about that picture?

Is that bits of newspaper on the fish that Nick the Fishmonger wraps fish up with ????? :074:

Bloody nice fish mate, I dare say, well worth the years wait :thumbup::thumbup:

Can't wait to get mine...........(I've been waiting for 10 years so I'm sure its going to be heaps bigger!)

Cheers

Stumpy

Edited by stumpy

Welcome to the 10KG Kingy club!

Cheers mate, those fish you caught at Jervis Bay were thumpers, and to get four of them in one trip must have been a buzz. Have you caught many like those in Jervis Bay before?

I saw the episode on TVS last Thursday, where the guy was downrigging frigates off Jervis Bay, and was continually getting busted by massive hoods. The ones he did manage to bring up were beefy indeed !!

Hmmmmmmmmmm, I'm not too sure about that picture?

Is that bits of newspaper on the fish that Nick the Fishmonger wraps fish up with ????? :074:

Bloody nice fish mate, I dare say, well worth the years wait :thumbup::thumbup:

Can't wait to get mine...........(I've been waiting for 10 years so I'm sure its going to be heaps bigger!)

Cheers

Stumpy

You've found me out Stumpy !!! I managed to revive him from the mongers, so that the fish's fins were all standing up and on full display, pretty convincing hey !!!

Ha ha, on a serious note, that photo was taken just after the capture and the fish had not been dispatched yet. It was still kicking and I had to hang on tight so that I did not lose it overboard !!!

I am hoping this is not my Everest, and that there are bigger ones for me !!! But it is good to get the runs on the board.

I have attached another photo of the fish. I am also going to post the fish in the Fish Of The Month section, luckily Ceph's rod/reel catch is not on there anymore, it would have been reely (pun intended) hard to beat.

post-2496-1181340655_thumb.jpg

Edited by 445F

awesome show isnt it

that one kingy he brought up on the last day was massive

CFD

Last week was the first episode that I saw, but it was really good. I hope it is a weekly show, but not sure.. Perhaps you can shed some light CFD.

I think the guy should have powered up and used a stronger rod, he would have found out the size of those thumpers that reefed him.... He was pretty nonchalant about catching the big kings, so I am guessing he is used to catching big Kings on a regular basis.

Cheers.

as for the show being weekly, it sure is!!!

every thursday night @ 8:00pm and if you miss an episode for some reason they repeat it on sunday @ 11:30am (if you arent fishing)

CFD

Thanks for the info, Chris. I always watched it on Fridays and got a bit spun-out when it switched to Thursday nights! Managed to catch a few of the latest shows, though :biggrin2: .

Flattieman.

445F,

sorry Can you tell me What are some Jap jigging website address's? thanks

Mate, I have really only properly looked up one site, try this one Japanese Jigging Site

yes its always stressing watching such big fish make a mockery of your gear. would have liked to have seen the 80lb come out.

as for the show being weekly, it sure is!!!

every thursday night @ 8:00pm and if you miss an episode for some reason they repeat it on sunday @ 11:30am (if you arent fishing)

CFD

Thanks CFD, I will be watching that show on a weekly basis now !!!

Edited by 445F

I have attached another photo of the fish. I am also going to post the fish in the Fish Of The Month section, luckily Ceph's rod/reel catch is not on there anymore, it would have been reely (pun intended) hard to beat.

:Funny-Post:

Ahhh.. I had to remove the Catch of the Month entry. It was only up there as a bit of fun anyway.. The moderators told me that any COTM entry must have fins and an anus..

445F, I will be voting for you mate.. that is a cracker. Imagine trying to pull a fish like that out of Middle Harbour !!! Wouldn't have a chance with all those moorings, snags and rods and reels down there..

Cheers

Ceph. :thumbup:

awesome show isnt it

that one kingy he brought up on the last day was massive

CFD

CFD, what is this show you talk of? I thought I knew of all the fishing shows on Fox...

Cheers

Ceph

Edited by Ceph

Ceph...its not on FOX its on TVS...a free to air station...its a community type station thats on the same band as SBS....just search for it on your TV search function and you will find it

Edited by netic

Ceph...its not on FOX its on TVS...a free to air station...its a community type station thats on the same band as SBS....just search for it on your TV search function and you will find it

Thanks mate.. Thursdays at 8.00pm eh?

:Funny-Post:

Ahhh.. I had to remove the Catch of the Month entry. It was only up there as a bit of fun anyway.. The moderators told me that any COTM entry must have fins and an anus..

445F, I will be voting for you mate.. that is a cracker. Imagine trying to pull a fish like that out of Middle Harbour !!! Wouldn't have a chance with all those moorings, snags and rods and reels down there..

Cheers

Ceph. :thumbup:

CFD, what is this show you talk of? I thought I knew of all the fishing shows on Fox...

Cheers

Ceph

You are right Ceph, you would have to be very lucky or very skilled to land a fish like that in Middle Harbour or even in Sydney Harbour. By the time you see your rod bend, have time to react and take the rod out of the holder, he has probably snagged you. The advantages of jigging is that you are holding the rod and can react straight away, and if you hook the fish high enough off the reef, you have a chance.

To catch a fish like that off Sydney, in a mate's boat is special for me, and I think I will be doing well to better this one !!

The show is on at 8pm, Thursdays on TVS. Last week's episode was good, so hoping the rest of them are the same.