Live Bait Tank Alternatives

Jaso

Whats the alternatives to a live bait tank that is not:

- polyfilla bucket

- jocools wooden box (although it is a cool alternative) :D

- expensive 'proper' live bait tank from bias boating.

I guess it needs to be small enough to fit in the space behind the rear bench of a tinny, and the plastic to be tough (more like otto bins style plastic) rather than brittle stuff..

Ideas?

Cheers all.

Hi Jaso,

I have one of the plastic tubs with a snap on lid from bunnings (get them anywhere really) with a a smaller water proof tupperwear style container super-glued to the top. In that I have a battery powered aerator with a hose that goes into the top of the tank down to an air stone that sits on the bottom. I have a sinker on the tube to keep in down.

I just keep a spare set of batteries with me and change a small bucket full of water every so often (though that's probably not necessary).

This used to sit behind the back thwart of my tinnie on the other side to my petrol tank and worked well for me.

Cheers

David.

Hi Narra,

Yep - I suspect that's the one. Mine is blue and takes 2 D size batteries.

I'm actually "between boats" right now :thumbdown: and have it sitting in the shed somewhere. If I can remember I'll drag it out tonight and take a picci or two and post for ya tomorrow in this thread.

Cheers

David.

ps. Loved your article on Narra Lakes. It's inspired me to finally get off my butt and get to some of those "lakes" and "goons" up there on the northern beaches and chuck some plastic from the banks. Anyway, that's for another day.

There is another alternative Jaso. Everyone knows about the old Nally fish boxes that used to get around. Well they still make em. The only problem is that they have a very limited capacity and the bigger sizes arent made anymore. Well even though they arent made anymore...there still is a way to get them! :1clap:

I used to live at Belmore which is controlled by the Canterbury council. In the early days of recyling they distributed BIG Nally boxes for disposal of bottles/paper etc. These were the same length and width of the standard Nally, so you can get the lids for them, but they were a few inches higher giving them an over all capacity of 80 litres or so!

I dont think they still use them, but I could be wrong. I know I have one at my dads place, and I found another at Surry Hills of all places, emblozzened with the Canterbury logo. :1clap:

There are other councils that use some bright blue Nally's but they arent as big as the Canterbury ones!

If you do find one, all you have to do is plug up the 4 holes on the bottom with a 3/4 inch nut and bolt with some silicon on it...and Bob's your uncle! :icon_peace:

No worries Jaso,

Narra, Here's a couple of pics of the bait bucket I used.

post-237-1101419986_thumb.jpg

Aerator:

post-237-1101420003_thumb.jpg

It was a great little set up down the back of my boat to keep a few yakka's or poddies in.

Next time however, I'd go for something a little larger (to hold more fish) and not clear to keep the sun off. This was OK for what I wanted though and I just used to chuck a damp towel over the top in summer.

Cheers

David.

Ken...Just remember when drilling the hole that the tubs are VERY brittle plastic and crack real easy. As I found out when drilling my first tank! :hitsfan: Maybe if you put a bit of masking tape on the area you want to drill, and when you drill through try not to have too much pressure from your hand pushing the drill down as it may slam into the tub.

Good luck. :icon_peace:

There are some great ideas here, especially for tank options. If you are fitting a pump does it need to be a permanent fixture to the boat. Or can it be easily removed as well?

If so what is the most practical way of doing this?

Cheers,

Aqua. :beersmile:

Edited by Aquaholic

Hi Aqua,

I think if you were going to add pumps seperate from your tank you might as well just add a proper plumbed live well and be done with it. Looks much better, works much better :thumbup:

Hooky from this site has put one in recently and was quite happy with it from memory.

Cheers,

David.