My First Boat

Robbo 81

hey guys,

me and my old man bought a nautiglass 14.5 runabout for $900 at callala beach over a year ago now and are in the process of setting it up (long story as to why its taking so long). motor was a chrystler 85 so now that thats gone and been replaced with a 90something 60hp mariner. we had to do a bit of cutting and welding to the trailer as the rust took its toll. new gaurds, wheels, hubs, rod holders, seats, carpet, tanks, screen, uhf, and steering. can't wait to get it out on the water and leave a report for the first time as my land based reports were more of a comedy experience than a night out fishing.

I've been going out with Miller a few times now and caught my first kingy :thumbup: so its really given me a good kick in the butt to get it going (so has Miller. quite alot actually).

I'll keep you all posted on the progress.

post-2241-1183032016_thumb.jpg

post-2241-1183032079_thumb.jpg

Edited by robo

• 2 weeks later...

I started with all the carpet last week and man!!!!!!!! what a nightmare!

under the screen was killing me as all the fumes from the glue just stayed in there. I had a big headache that night. Rod holders are in but not bolted down yet, same with the pedastool. little confused on weather to use self tappers or nuts and bolts.

post-2241-1183032378_thumb.jpg

post-2241-1183032358_thumb.jpg

post-2241-1183032702_thumb.jpg

this is the tipper part on the trailer we had to replace

post-2241-1183032958_thumb.jpg

like my wheels :1prop:

post-2241-1183033048_thumb.jpg

great pickup for 900 even if it needed some work. for older model hulls they ride very well in the water you will love it

cant wait to see some reports.

Edited by Kingies till i die

well more work on my boat over the weekend and got in big shit off the :wife: for spending more time on my boat than with her. :05:

I put some sexy alloy strips along the edges of the carpet near the storage area and in the back where the tank

sits to make it look all pretty and stuff.

Nearly all my rod holders are bolted into place.

pedestals are bolted into place same with my seats.

not too long now :1prop:

just a shame that its winter :05:

it looks good mate ive just been through the heartache of rebuilding an old fibreglass boat, but only mine wasnt by choice i found out i bought a $hit boat after all was said and done :ranting2: and had no choice but too fix it probably spent 3x the amount as you have and the motor and overall result isnt as good as yours either, youve done well ;)

Great work mate!!! you must be really proud of your acheivements. From one boat builder to another well done, I can fully understand the hick ups you can have and sometimes a beer is all that is needed!

All the best and may she serve you well.

Mark

COUGARCRAFT

Thanx guys, :thumbup:

I'm turning the old seat frame into a bench seat at the moment and all seems well. the box is made from fibreglass so i was thinking of turning it into an eski aswell. I got the foam for the top, my mum sewed the vinyl up for me last night. The box is all carpeted, and I have one of those wilson 4 rod holder thingies that I'm going to bolt to the

back of it. once on, I'm thinking of making a back rest that can be held into place with the rod holders and removed if needed. I should have the bench finished by sunday so I'll get some pics up of it then.

Thankyou for all the support guy's, it is all greatly appreciated.

cheers

Edited by robo

Robo,looks like you have put hours of labour into the boat and i can say it looks like it is all paying off.I look forward to seeing more pics especially when it is in the water.Just remeber as this is your first boat don't go rushing into anything too over the top and when possible take someone with boating knowledge to show you the ropes.Keep up the good work and the misses will undrstand when it is finished and she gets some peace and quiet when you are gone all weekend every weekend.see ya

well more work on my boat over the weekend and got in big shit off the :wife: for spending more time on my boat than with her. :05:

Well done on all the good work, i know how much time it takes as i have been doing up a Bertram 25 for the past 2 years and the :wife: has not been happy with all the time i have been spending on it but if you keep going she will eventually get used to it, mine has and i am not up to the the carpet yet :074:

I just spent 4 days on it last week and it makes it all worth while and the :wife: agrees

Looking good Robo

all the hard work does pay off when you get it out there

and enjoy your hard work.

Nailit - doing up a Bertram 25 is a pretty big job

Edited by johnno

Righto! more progress

I installed all the required things to put my UHF in.

post-2241-1184487342_thumb.jpg

post-2241-1184487518_thumb.jpg

Now I am running power from the battery to the front of the boat with the help of a bus bar. this way I don't need to run 50 wires from the front to the battery, just 2. Like my isolator.

post-2241-1184488035_thumb.jpg

post-2241-1184488233_thumb.jpg

post-2241-1184488437_thumb.jpg

my next bit to do is get rid of this shitty looking dash and put something there to make it look a bit better. maybe some alloy or something.

post-2241-1184488645_thumb.jpg

Edited by robo

becarful using shinny alloy or checker plate o the dash. you could paint it .

As this is where you will be once driving and don,t want sun glare hitting you in the face whilst under way.

ha ha PIMP MY BOAT :1prop:

thats exactly what i was thinking. was going to use a flat peace of 3mm alloy with the swirl pattern on it, but as johnno said, I'm a bit worried about the glare. was thinking of painting it but I am a painter, and I know that it would get scratched and I'd be painting it again and again. The old man was thinking of using that funny looking grit style alloy sheet stuff from bunnings but personally I think it looks shit. Was going to glass it again but then I got to paint it and then same prob as above.

Love the bench seat box. where can i get one??

Boat is looking great. If it is the flat section on the face of the dash you want to clean up you could use a thin piece of polypropelene but you'll hav e to be carefull as many guages and stuff will only go through a certian thickness.

Just start using it and see how you go and if it the boat for you. then you can decid to di the whole "pimp my boat" over the top deal.

Lamanex now make some great brushed aluminium style colours that don't glare and are just able to be stuck on and are only a few mill thick. Check out your local kitchen shop

Pelican

Edited by pelican

as pelican said

you could use acrylic sheet /perspex it comes in white(opaque) and black reds etc

also as pelican said laminex have laminates which have a great range

but the metal finish is still glary as they use thin metal to coat the laminate.

Most of these laminates come in approx 0.8mm -1.2mm thick.

my quinnie has a carbon fibre looking 3 mm perspex on my dash

maybe even carbon fibre lookalike.

ah, good thinking guys.

hmmm, carbon fibre hey :1prop:

I don't really want to pimp it out, just want it to look good and only do it once.

I was lucky with the bench seat as all the hard work was done for me. the box came with the boat. I just modified it to how I wanted it.