Rock Cale

Reeso

Question

Anyone know if rock cale are any good for a feed? I was asked the other day if I could find out for one of my mates .They are plentiful in the sea around sydney, very abundant, but hes never seen or heard of anyone ever taking them nor has he ever taken one himself because he thinks that their probably not very good eating, could even be poisonous for all I know? so whats the verdict, anyone ever eaten rock cale out of curiosity? Theyd have to be better than frozen fish fingers right?

for those who dont know these are those brown/black mottled fish that just sit on the weedbed in along rocky shorelines, some grow guite big too! I knew them as kelp fish before I was corrected, and have also heard them called rock cod, but they look nothing like a cod.

Edited by swordfisherman

9 answers to this question

what are you talking about reeso?

i've done some diving and anywhere around sydney there are heaps of these ugly looking things that swim like a sorta demented croc. is that what you're talking bout?

oh and if we do have the same fish in mind, then i dont know if you can catch the buggers cos i've never caught em, only seen em diving.

just got a pic from google images

is this it?

'aplodactylus lophodon'?

post-4398-1182325329_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nathan L

Ahahahaha

Thats the one Nathan, Ive only seen them snorkelling myself,

demented crock is pretty right, theyve got that slow, a beer short of a six pack sort of swagger ahaha

they sit on the weed bed and think if they stay real still you cant see them, you could just about catch them with your bare hands

Apparently their different from a kelp fish? the Australian Museum Fish ID page shows that kelpfish are similar but quite a distinct species, theyve got a different "face", If you know what I mean, a pointier snout and the eyes are more on the sides of the head.

Edited by Reeso

what are you talking about reeso?

i've done some diving and anywhere around sydney there are heaps of these ugly looking things that swim like a sorta demented croc. is that what you're talking bout?

oh and if we do have the same fish in mind, then i dont know if you can catch the buggers cos i've never caught em, only seen em diving.

just got a pic from google images

is this it?

'aplodactylus lophodon'?

post-4398-1182325329_thumb.jpg

regular by catch for me chasin drummer on the reef.....my mate tried one and said it was chit

The above post calling them sh*t fish is about right. I have NEVER eaten one, i know of about 3 people who have attempted it and from what they said, it had about the smell of old cat food and the taste of old cat sh*t. They are known as cockys by most spearos. btw Wirrah cod are the fish known as old boots, cause the skin is as tough as the leather of an old boot. I tried to fillet one once. Wasnt gonna happen!