Martime Officer - Fishing License Check

Couldn’t find fishing license when the maritime officer asked for it. Later found it in the car (not in wallet)… was actually fishing with a license.

Officer collected personal details and requested a fax copy of the license within 14 days.

Also an undersized tarwhine was found in possession, and asked to be released. (the girls would just like to keep it a little longer since that’s their first time saw a fish got caught – was about to release it anyway, but…shouldn’t have kept it in the first place) the fish was released straight away. copy of booklet was handed over by officer for education purpose...never kept undersized fish before, this is the first time...

What to expect after copy of license is faxed?

I reckon the most you will get and hope for is a letter of warning , stating you must always carry your fishing licence with you while fishing. He has given you a warning and educational booklet regarding fish in possesion, otherwise he would have still fined you from details you supplied (from Drivers licence i would assume). Lesson learnt , and because of your good attitude towards him i believe he would be feeling same way. Lesson Learnt. Cheers Dave

They just want to see that you do actually have a fishing license, so you will fax it and that will pretty much be the end of it.

If the receipt date is after the date he inspected you though I would imagine a fine would be issued. :biggrin2:

Dan

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh guys and girls

You have to carry your license on your person AT ALL TIMES! No exceptions, and no substitutes! When approached by Fisheries Officers, a photocopy, pic, serial number, or license number is Not enough!!!! Be warned as I have experienced it 1st hand as I point out in the thread I put up on this post earlier today.

All the best

DAN

D&G

Couldn’t find fishing license when the maritime officer asked for it. Later found it in the car (not in wallet)… was actually fishing with a license.

Officer collected personal details and requested a fax copy of the license within 14 days.

Also an undersized tarwhine was found in possession, and asked to be released. (the girls would just like to keep it a little longer since that’s their first time saw a fish got caught – was about to release it anyway, but…shouldn’t have kept it in the first place) the fish was released straight away. copy of booklet was handed over by officer for education purpose...never kept undersized fish before, this is the first time...

What to expect after copy of license is faxed?

like any normal person of authority its all up to them they may choose to just give you a warning

as you do have a license and you had children with you i dont see any drama occuring from this matter,

i once went fishing with a friend who kept some undersized fish and he was fined on 3 accounts

$580 = No license

$580 = For supplying a false name

$580 undersized fish, lets just say it was a expensive fishing LESSON

$1740 fine

but i dont see you getting any fine at all

good advice!

will it be treated valid license by using the mobile phone?

officers are very reasonable, and just trying to educate new anglers.

the female officer was really kind and pretty as well :tease:

Hey Fishingfan

Carry your license mate at all times will save the grief! Next time you might get a $110 on the spot fine..... like I might get one day,,,, After my first warning for not carrying it.

I know its all too easy to forget it. But if you want to contact them (FISHERIES),,, they will clear this issue up.

In the meantime I will try and post my cautionary notice which I recieved for not carrying a license!!! Still have it !!

DAN

D&G

thanks for sharing the story,mate.

guess providing false name could be the trigger of the rest accounts, as long as it's not his intension to break the rules plus first time, it should still be ok...

Hey Fishingfan

Carry your license mate at all times will save the grief! Next time you might get a $110 on the spot fine..... like I might get one day,,,, After my first warning for not carrying it.

I know its all too easy to forget it. But if you want to contact them (FISHERIES),,, they will clear this issue up.

In the meantime I will try and post my cautionary notice which I recieved for not carrying a license!!! Still have it !!

DAN

D&G

thanks a lot D&G!

hope there is no subsequent fines/penalties, will fax the license tomorrow.

should have kept it in the wallet in stead of car, all because of fearing that the license might get wet if slipping into the water ...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh guys and girls

You have to carry your license on your person AT ALL TIMES! No exceptions, and no substitutes! When approached by Fisheries Officers, a photocopy, pic, serial number, or license number is Not enough!!!! Be warned as I have experienced it 1st hand as I point out in the thread I put up on this post earlier today.

All the best

DAN

D&G

I've shown the photo of my fishing lic on my phone to a fisheries inspector when asked,

and it was the one and only time I forgot it, believe it or not, :( ,they jotted down my fishing lic no,

then i showed my drivers lic to show that my name was the same on both, they said they would check

it out back at their office as they had my lic no now. I didnt have to fax them a copy as they had already seen it on my phone,then they let us continue fishing.They were very polite as was I, therefore no

dramas. It was a case of better to show them something,rather than just have to tell em a story and hope they believe me.

penguin

Glad they were reasonable and fair.

I fish land based and on boats and only ever have a photocopy ( store it on the boat and in the tackle bag) on me and on the same page a photocopy of my drivers Lic. If they don't accept that if they ever approach me I'll fight it in court to show how silly they are being. Fair is fair and there is no way I am taking my wallet out with me as I have dropped one and never again with so many cards and crap to replace. As for faxing it I say if thay can't accept a fascimile on the day then they can't accept one the day after at the office so set a time and date and I'll meet him in the office or on the water. They have to be consistant. I lost my original 2 years ago and only had a photocopy and after reading the greif some had gone through for not supplying the original I tried to get a replacement. Not only couldn't they make it simple they couldn't find the original paperwork. Since then I have carried the photocopy. Hmmmm hope their paperwork has got a little better.

Why can't we just buy a license that cover say 4 people on a boat so we can have guests and don't have to go through this crap of being inspected- they can check our rego number via binoculars and not stuff us around with 20 dumb questions every time they come alongside.

PS next one that charges up at 20 knots won't get the welcome smile- geeze a little boatcraft and courtesy when kids are on board would be nice and some decent fenders as well guys.

Speaking from experience, similar thing happened to me where i couldnt produce the lic until i got home, you'll be fine as long as your not a repeat offender.

I purchased my license online after seing it on a thread here.....

All o got was a License number and i saved it in my phone, I got asked for it about 3 months ago and gave him the number and showed him my drivers license to confirm i was Me...he said no worries and off he went...

Most fisheries officers are pretty good blokes and ladies......they are reasonable people who will not fine you just to be bastards.....if you have a license they are happy

I was fishing CG in October last year. I usually buy my licenses in December when we head up to Port Mac. for Chrissie holidays. We saw the fisheries boat come in and I was talking with my mate about how good it is to see them here, as you often see ethnic groups keeping undersized fish and, being a chatty friendly type, I have asked several of these family groups how much their licenses cost? Blanks stares.

Anyway I was extremely embarressed to find out when presenting my license it had expired 2 weeks previously. The femial officer was friendly and curtius and asked me to state my case, which she wrote down and promised a written response.

I received a warning and studiously check the dates now.

I think most of them are looking for the right attitudes and behaviours, not screwing people and revenue raising like City Rangers.

One thing I talked about with the officer was the size and bag limits on some species tradtionally considered bait fish by Australians. Now that there are many cultural groups extracting bucket loads of yellowtail and the like from our waters to eat, perhaps this needs to be addressed, as they are not breaking the laws but if increasing numbers of new Australians now eat these 'bait fish', we may end up denuding easily accessible fishing spots of marine life.

I was fishing CG in October last year. I usually buy my licenses in December when we head up to Port Mac. for Chrissie holidays. We saw the fisheries boat come in and I was talking with my mate about how good it is to see them here, as you often see ethnic groups keeping undersized fish and, being a chatty friendly type, I have asked several of these family groups how much their licenses cost? Blanks stares.

Anyway I was extremely embarressed to find out when presenting my license it had expired 2 weeks previously. The femial officer was friendly and curtius and asked me to state my case, which she wrote down and promised a written response.

I received a warning and studiously check the dates now.

I think most of them are looking for the right attitudes and behaviours, not screwing people and revenue raising like City Rangers.

One thing I talked about with the officer was the size and bag limits on some species tradtionally considered bait fish by Australians. Now that there are many cultural groups extracting bucket loads of yellowtail and the like from our waters to eat, perhaps this needs to be addressed, as they are not breaking the laws but if increasing numbers of new Australians now eat these 'bait fish', we may end up denuding easily accessible fishing spots of marine life.

From what i know when they place bag and size limits on a species they take into account many factors but the main issue is how many of them there are and breeding patterns...

Yakkas or Yellowtail are in absolutely abundant numbers and thats why there isnt a size limit t these fish and they breed like crazy, doesnt matter if people take 20 or 30 home it will not effect the species, The same rule applies to species like Dolphin Fish who breed and grow at rapid rates....

The only time I had the pleasure of talking to a fisheries officer was down at Lakes Entrance in Victoria. There I was with my brother-in-law and his 2 sons feeling proud as punch with a good catch of whiting which I was keen to show off, only to discover that we had wrongly identified the species of whiting in from the fishing guide and it was all undersized!

Red faces all round, but only a $100 fine so I reckon they went easy on us.

Odd thing was, I had just purchased my licence no less than 2 hours earlier, and they didn't even ask to see it!

Still, I keep my licence with me at all times on the water - I'm not risking my luck twice.

cheers

Mysterythecat

The only time I had the pleasure of talking to a fisheries officer was down at Lakes Entrance in Victoria. There I was with my brother-in-law and his 2 sons feeling proud as punch with a good catch of whiting which I was keen to show off, only to discover that we had wrongly identified the species of whiting in from the fishing guide and it was all undersized!

Red faces all round, but only a $100 fine so I reckon they went easy on us.

Odd thing was, I had just purchased my licence no less than 2 hours earlier, and they didn't even ask to see it!

Still, I keep my licence with me at all times on the water - I'm not risking my luck twice.

cheers

Mysterythecat

DITTO!

Once bitten twice shy!!!!!!!! To everyone on the issue I contacted fisheries today and this is the EXACT legislation concerning the issue of a fishing license!!

Section 34J(2) Anglers must have an official reciept in their possession at all times whilst fishing, and this receipt must be showed when requested by the approiate authorities!

Now you all know the rules,,,, dont believe me ring up and quote this law (Section 34J, paragraph 2, and ask them, FIsheries to read it to you). I too believed like alot of others here that you didnt need to carry it,,,, that was until last March

D&G

PS Im trying to get a copy of this leglisation from Fisheries, so you can all see it in Black and white for yourselfs! Wouldnt want anyone to be fined!

Edited by Dan and Greg

DITTO!

Once bitten twice shy!!!!!!!! To everyone on the issue I contacted fisheries today and this is the EXACT legislation concerning the issue of a fishing license!!

Section 34J(2) Anglers must have an official reciept in their possession at all times whilst fishing, and this receipt must be showed when requested by the approiate authorities!

Now you all know the rules,,,, dont believe me ring up and quote this law (Section 34J, paragraph 2, and ask them, FIsheries to read it to you). I too believed like alot of others here that you didnt need to carry it,,,, that was until last March

D&G

PS Im trying to get a copy of this leglisation from Fisheries, so you can all see it in Black and white for yourselfs! Wouldnt want anyone to be fined!

If they enforce the rules in that manner they will only put a lot of people off side and as far as I am concerned it then becomes a case of revenue raising. I would be happy if they never had to issue a fine as it means everyone is being reasonable.

I'm not sure of the circumstances but in regard to not identifying the correct species of whiting but I would be pissed off. I'm no expert and I don't know how obvious different breeds but by the number of posts on here asking for fish ID for odd coloured or shaped fish it isn't always obvious. The fact the license holder was aware of size limits and had bought a lic etc shows the good faith and honest mistake on his behalf and I feel there should be some good faith and discretion from the authorities in these situation. Interesting of how they identified you without checking your lic. Obviously thought you were honest enough to give correct name and address but not honest enough to have made a honest mistake on type of whiting if you even knew there were 2 types. God knows we don't want wholesale quotas like we seem to have on road and parking offences where it is all revenue based not common sense.

Yes I think it is good to see them out there but I would like them to do more footwork in obvious land based spots as well as boats seem a easy target.

Hmmmm