Posting Pictures

Ken A

Here is a "How To" on posting pictures

Before starting off please note : The pictures should be less than 650 by 650 pixels in size & try to keep the file size under 60KB ! Larger pictures will load but it slows down the page loading & as well each member has only 1megabyte allowed for pictures & large files will soon use that up.

Step 1 . After typing in whatever text you wish to have in your post look in the "File Attachments" area & click the browse button shown in the picture below

post-1-1101676918_thumb.jpg

Step 2 . Select the picture you want to post from the pop up window

post-1-1101677068_thumb.jpg

Step 3 . Click the open button on the pop up window

post-1-1101677138_thumb.jpg

Step 4 . To upload the picture click "add this attachment"

post-1-1101677220_thumb.jpg

Step 5 . After the picture has uploaded click "add into post"

post-1-1101677433_thumb.jpg

Step 6 . Click on the "post new topic" button & your done.

The pictures should be less than 650 by 650 pixels in size & try to keep the file size under 60KB.

Thanks Ken,

I've tried several times to post a photo but I always get a message back saying the photo is too large. Can you recommend a programme that can reduce piccie sizes? (I have tried to upload from 'My Photo's' in Windows XP, and, as you can guess I am computer illiterate!)

Cheers,

Thanks Guys. It wasn't as easy as I thought, must have part of the XP programme missing as I didn't get a pop up screen with a resize option.

I e-mailed a copy of the picture to myself where I was able to make it smaller and then managed to save it as a seperate picture. It's on the general pictures forum if you would like to have a look at it.

Cheers,

• 4 months later...

The space limit affects all users. I'm in the process of allocating a bit more but if you delete some old pics that will get you some more space to use in the meantime.

• 1 month later...

All members now have 1000kb for pictures.

Please read the following post about on managing photos. Managing Photos

Removing old pictures is easy & saves using up your allocated space too quickly.

Also there have been a lot of pictures posted that are of a large file size. Some of them are around the 300kb mark. Doesn't take long to use 1000kb with images that size. :1prop:

Try keeping images below 50kb & image size below 600 x 600 pixels.

Here is some free software so that is easy to use & can resize images & reduce file size also.

Picasa 2

Hi All, I was just reading through this thread and I came across the question "How do I resize my photos". It doesn't really seem that it has been addressed, but i thought with new people always joinging it wouldn't hurt to go over it again.

Windows XP (or Microsoft Office to be more accurate) has a program called Microsoft Photo Editor. It has a resize function (Image -> resize). When I take a photo with my camera the photo is about 1Mbyte and would be about 2300x1700 pixels (20x15cm's roughly).

If you can change the size by pixels, you can get it down to 800x600 its automatically scale the picture down. Its size in cm will be about 6.7x5cms. When you resave the picture rename it do you dont copy over your original.

Your new picture will be about 100k, ten timnes smaller that the original and still very viewable on thhe internet.

I've added the picture to illustrate the poiint.

Hope this helps.

Joe

post-761-1117767725_thumb.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I have not covered resizing photos here as there are about 3000 different software packages around that will do it & about the same number of ways to use it :biggrin2:

Anything larger than 600 x 600 is automatically reduced to a thumbnail image by the forum software so theres no point having photos physically larger than that.

Keep file size as small as possible. Here are 3 examples of the same image at different file sizes. The physical size is 600 x 450 pixels for all. As you can see I had to go all the way down to 11kb before image quality suffered & even the 11kb image while being grainy etc is still acceptable enough for net viewing.

If anyone has problems resizing images I'm happy to help out just send me a PM :biggrin2:

Picture 1 - 33kb

post-1-1118604795_thumb.jpg

Picture 2 -21kb

post-1-1118604843_thumb.jpg

Picture 3 - 11kb

post-1-1118604883_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

:1welcomeani: to Fr :biggrin2:

To set up an album in the gallery click the "My Controls" link on the top right of the page then look on the left side of the page that opens for the Ivision Gallery section & click "Your Albums" then click "create album".

Once you have made an album you can select an operation from the drop down menu on the right - " edit , delete, view,upload" & carry on from there. Any problems just ask :biggrin2:

• 4 months later...

Ken, why don't you make it so you can remote link photos from actual photo-hosting sites that are free, have no space limits, and have simple resize options where you just choose a percentage that you would like to deminish the .jpg file by??? I dont think ive ever seen a forum that you can't remote link flciks from other websites on...

photobucket.com and flikr.com are both great. very easy to use after a short while. And it would mean that Fishraider's bandwidth is not wasted.

Ken, why don't you make it so you can remote link photos from actual photo-hosting sites that are free, have no space limits, and have simple resize options where you just choose a percentage that you would like to deminish the .jpg file by??? I dont think ive ever seen a forum that you can't remote link flciks from other websites on...

There has always been an image link option available on the forums. Maybe you didn't look hard enough. :1prop:

You can remote link here by clicking the post-1-1150746446_thumb.gif button. Remote links also cause the forum view to distort & make it hard to use as people link to images that are of a large size ie 1200 x 800 pixels. They also link to pictures with a large file size which slows things down for the 60% of members still on dial up.

There are plenty of free image resizing tools around & there is information here on how to use them. Remote linking can & does cause problems with people linking to images on other fishing sites & adding to their bandwidth useage then ends up with me getting complaints from their owners & having to edit the links out & resize the image & repost it myself.

Resizing is simple to do & then there are no problems.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Before starting off please note : The pictures should be less than 650 by 650 pixels in size & try to keep the file size under 60KB ! Larger pictures will load but it slows down the page loading & as well each member has only 1megabyte allowed for pictures & large files will soon use that up.

Step 1 . After typing in whatever text you wish to have in your post look in the "File Attachments" area & click the browse button shown in the picture below

The pictures should be less than 650 by 650 pixels in size & try to keep the file size under 60KB.

Hi all! Thanks for the great "how To upload pics" finally got it right!! Newby Possum!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

isnt working 4 me

isnt working 4 me

The easiest program to use is Microsoft Picture Manager ,one click and its done.

Open all your pictures with this program and when you edit the picture ,choose compress for documents and hey presto it is ready to upload to the site.

Cheers Admin.