Pride Starfire Gt

Guest Jocool

A mate of mine got given a Pride Starfire GT for nicks. he just had to tow it away! And I got sucked into doing it! :1prop:

Got to the guys place to find the trailer with no jockey wheel buried a good 3 inches into the ground and the hull full of water. After a lot of huffing and puffing and some ingenuitive thinking , we managed to get the rig hitched behind the trusty Rodeo.

Started towing it home on 2 flat tyres! :thumbdown: Stopped at a servo and only one tryre took air, the other stayed flat. Let me tell you, a flat tyre makes a mess of gaurds! :biggrin2: After a long 45 minute drive we managed to get it the 3 km's to my mates place where he was set upon by his dad for brigging CRAP home. it only took a matter of hours for his dad to come around and see the potential! :thumbup:

Today the guy spent his time removing the offending rims and began clearing out the boat to check the soundness of the hull. One thin that has really surprised me is the condition of the motor.

The motor is an ANCIENT Evinrude Meteor II V4. I dont think anyone on here will remember them! I dont! Never seen one in my life. :1tongue: But geez didnt it look good under the cowl! In its earlier days this motor was really cared for.

If the hull checks out OK, he will be breathing some new life into the old girl. He wants to freshen it up for cruising...I'm trying to convince him to let me have my way with it! Cut away the front deck of the runabout, and it should make a pretty sweet little river fishing platform! :thumbup::thumbup:

I hope to get some piccies of the motor...just to show you guys how old this thing is! :risata:

CHECK THE STRINGERS CAREFULLY

If its been sitting with water in it then their is every chance they have rotted out

and unless you want to end up like those nut cases off avoca on the weekend and have your boat split in half under you they will need some very serious work.

Edited by allen glover

better still replace the stringers anyway. :thumbup: Its an easy job, just a bit time consuming. that way it gives you a chance to whack on a new floor too and toy with underfloor fuel and kill tanks, and add your own underfloor storage. :1clap:

Guest bluecod

Joecool,

Bit of research indicates that it is likely the motor is 1965 vintage

See this link to a discussion of age of a Johnson Meteor II V4

http://www.outboardrepairs.com/topics/006193.html

QUOTE [sixgun2 "its a 90hrs mod#v4ml-11g

seriel.# j2522070 any help would be great

thanks again"

Trent "Sixgun its a 1965 model engine".] QUOTE

Pics would be interesting when you get some - I used to have an old Pride Starfire - great boat for getting water onboard over the windscreen :1tongue:

Thanks for that Bluey! I have tried on a few occassions to open that site you linked, but it keeps timing out. Does anyone else have probs opening the outboard repair site? :hitsfan: