Big Yellowfin Off Sydney

Reel Addiction

We hit the water at lunch time yesterday on 'Reel Addiction' after a last minute decision to head out.

We headed out wide and trolled lures for a couple of hours for nothing so we decided to hunt around for a nice patch to begin cubing. We found a area that had a couple of birds flying around and nice water colour so we decided this was the spot.

Got the trail in and began to strip 2 lines the tiagra 30W gets hit after minutes and we are on and its stripping line fast.

After a massive 3 hour fight and many nervous moments we had our fish doing massive circles under the boat. It had 2 gaffs put in it and over the side she came.

Here is a pic of Filipe, who did a great job on the rod with his fish. And brad came up with a superb gaff shot to secure the fish. Good work team!!

80kg (weighed) Yellowfin Tuna

Cheers

Iain

post-954-1183543234_thumb.jpg

Edited by Reel Addiction

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's one massive YFT Iain. Must have been some fight.

These monsters are a sight to behold at 80kg.

Well done and I presume you will enter it into the COTM...gonna be hard to beat.

Cheers,

Pete.

Edited by MallacootaPete

Congrats on that!!! A very, very nice fish!! :1yikes::thumbup:

Good to see they are out there, I can't wait to get a break in the weather (hopefully a weekend) and hit all my South Coast haunts.

Any others or just a loner??? or you obviously spent most of the time fighting??

80 on 15 is a fish of a lifetime..... Awesome!!

XG.

Wow, that is a nice fish !!!

I hope you have got a lot of friends as there would have to be 60kg of fresh fillets in that one!!!

How many YFT recipes do you have?

Tuna for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Cheers

Greg

Guest Reely

Iain this past year for you has been simply amazing for you! The fish you have caught is nothing short of special. And to get this after telling me last week you will get one is truly astounding! Well done to you, a "Reel" achievement. Well done buddy. :thumbup:

K.

Thanks for all the replys fella, certainly was the fish of a life time and man do they make a mess of the boat at that size, when it hit the deck and was kicking around the whole boat was shacking.

We had a few casulties though. We lost the outrigger base over the side early, then when we brought the fish over the side it bent (1) of the gaffs then when i was trying to give it the golden touch the baseball bat snapped in half so i grabbed the berley muncher and used it and it bent, also the clip on the black magic harness broke. So it was a test of the tackle. The tiagra 30W and the Diawa 15kg STP handled it superbly.

Cheers

Iain

I will put up some more photos in the next 30-40 mins

Edited by Reel Addiction

Thanks for all the replys fella, certainly was the fish of a life time and man do they make a mess of the boat at that size, when it hit the deck and was kicking around the whole boat was shacking.

We had a few casulties though. We lost the outrigger base over the side early, then when we brought the fish over the side it bent (1) of the gaffs then when i was trying to give it the golden touch the baseball bat snapped in half so i grabbed the berley muncher and used it and it bent, also the clip on the black magic harness broke. So it was a test of the tackle. The tiagra 30W and the Diawa 15kg STP handled it superbly.

Cheers

Iain

I will put up some more photos in the next 30-40 mins

Mate that truly is an awesome fish...80kg is not something you hear about everyday.....And the fact that the conditions have not been perfect and most trailer boats wouldnt even consider going out there makes it all the more of an acheivement....

Well done on braving those conditions...i heard that someone got an 80kg didnt realise it was a trailer boat.... :thumbup::thumbup:

Guest Reely

Truly awesome and funny in a way of what happened to all your stuff, still im so jealous!!!! at least im honest!

Another boat got a 63kg on the troll yesterday too. And many boats got fish 25kg-30kg but nothing like yours Iain!!!!!