Stop Press - Raiders Catch Hairtail

mrsswordfisherman

Hi There,

Just got home from the mother ship and yeah theres been some good hairtail caught. Last standing was 1975 and bream hunter who baged out in short time with the best going 120cm. Still not over though and there may be some quiet achievers out there. Oh and the only worthy fish from the mother boat so far was my 68cm flathead, (sorry guys but thats why they call em braging rights). I truly hope one of the jolly crew top that. Gunna look forward to reading this thread there will be some great storys from a great weekend.

Lata Raida.

Waynie

Edited by kiwi waynie

G'day Raiders

Managed to get out last night for a a few hours.

Went out with GofishPete. Thanks for the outing Pete.

Decided to give Cottage Point a good go with pillies.

Sadly the hairies didn't come across out baits.

Headed back to the ramp at about midnight.

Met up with another Raider there who said that one of the boats had caught about 20 fish...!!!

So I'll be waiting to see who, what, when and where.

cheers

inhlanzi

hi all went out with 1975 yeaterday arvo met up with other raiders about 1ish headed out and done a bit of flicking with s/p for 2 undersized bream 1 flattie and a tailor about 4 pm we headed into jer bay stopped and said hi to some other raiders for a bit and kept going right down into the end of the bay and picked a nice spot in abot 11m of water anchored up got out the block of pillys ans send a cpl of unweighted baits out wasnt long and bang im on got it to the boat grabbed the trace and pop its gone :ranting2: (thinking this is not going to be our night)how wrong was i they were on the bite hard :yahoo: biggest prob being setting the hook with the gangs so decided to change to a single hook and cube the pillys worked a treat the next hour and a half was frantic with every bait getting hit quite a few were lost but we had about 10 in the boat by then and it went a bit quiet thinking its a good night we kicked back for a bit for a feed and then tap tap tap zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz on again their back another two hours of solid fishing and bagging out by the end of it we were releasing them.all my fish were caught on my bream stick with 4 pound braid but i did have 20pound leader with wire trace.biggest fish going about 122cm i think, called it quits about 10:30 back to the mother ship to show off say thanx and bye and were off back to atb ramp well so we thought took the wrong turn ended up going straight for the heads not funny at all turn around and try again eventually got to the bloody ramp 1am work the figures out left jer bay about 11pm back at the ramp 1am how lost were we but all in all a top night thanks to everyone who helped set up the social and its a shame we couldnt make it to the weigh in today but had other things on great to meet who we met and hope you all got into them

cheers mick

(1975 also bagged out but ill let him tell you about that)

post-3591-1183854819_thumb.jpg

post-3591-1183854835_thumb.jpg

Edited by breamhntr

Guest MRS WATTO

It was a great nite. Very cold though, I wish I had a heater. Rzep caught a hairtail, boy was he excited.

(Well done Paul). OFFTAP thank you for picking us up at the boat ramp and taking us to the house boat.

FINALLY I CAN SAY, I HAVE BEEN ON OFFTAP'S BOAT. It was so cool, I wanted him to go real fast, but he wouldnt. I can leave you alone now and wont bug you anymore to go on your boat.

Early nite for the girls, we went to bed around 11.00pm and the boys stayed up fishing to 5.30am.

Finally congratulations to all the guys who caught hairtail, WELL DONE

Hi guys

Well done on the reports coming in so far!! How do you cook them??

We used to live at Mona Vale & my Dad always wanted to catch a hairtail (back in the 60's) but after many efforts, I don't think he managed any! I'll have to get my brother Sails down there to do it for him.

Looking forward to hearing the rest of the reports!

Cheerio

Roberta

I think a top night was had by all, i think almost every boat managed at least 1 hairtail. We had one hairtail at 110cm broght aboard by Kingies Till I Die on our houseboat.

Drinking and eating junk food seemed to be the common theme :biggrin2: i think i must have eaten about 15 snags and a kilo of bacon. lol.

The only thing i can't figure out is that i could hear a womans voice shouting something that sounded like "Hey, Dave" about every 10 minutes for the whole night. Oh well one of the mysteries of the Hawkesbury. :074::1prop: LOL!!

Edited by mrs rzep

Guest MRS WATTO

I think a top night was had by all, i think almost every boat managed at least 1 hairtail. We had one hairtail at 110cm broght aboard by Kingies Till I Die on our houseboat.

Drinking and eating junk food seemed to be the common theme :biggrin2: i think i must have eaten about 15 snags and a kilo of bacon. lol.

The only thing i can't figure out is that i could hear a womans voice shouting something that sounded like "Hey, Dave" about every 10 minutes for the whole night. Oh well one of the mysteries of the Hawkesbury. :074::1prop: LOL!!

Anthony

It was a top night, funny that, I heard the same voice all nite??????????????????

WHO IS DAVE!!!!!!! HEY DAVE HEY DAVE

Edited by mrs rzep

Guest mrs rzep

:Funny-Post:

Funny that, my ears are still ringing which makes me think that I must have been closer to the voice than anyone else! :mad3:

Can't wait for the official report to be posted. Once that is done - I have a few photo's of RZEP'S hairtail that he caught last night which I will add. I am sure there will be heaps of photo's, story's and reports.

It was a great night although I am still swaying and I am extremly tired. I just wish little_rzep would go to sleep right now so I can as well. :wacko:

Edited by mrs rzep

was definately a great night, even if it wasnt as peaceful as we originally thought it would be(princess claudia with her tiara). plenty of fish caught and was good to meet some of our fellow raiders.

Edited by Kingies till i die

Decided to attend the social as ive heard alot about these creatures but never caught/seen one. After a decent hookup i lost my first, about 5 mins later Quinfish lost 1 at the boat.

Got my first 1 just before dark on one of wattos rigs(minus the red glostick as someone forgot to give them to me. Thanks quinfish for yours). Not sure what time i got my smaller one but i know it was FrFrFrFreeeeezing. A short while later did the rounds of the houseboats to warm up a little before venturing back out. Only got a couple of more bites before nothing for the rest of the day. All in all a great night out, i caught a new fish for me and next year ill be back (in a houseboat this time).

if anyone has pics of me in my postie wet weather gear with my 2 hairtail, could i trouble you to email them to me at

Dangles1979@hotmail.com

thanx Daniel

Guest mrs rzep

Decided to attend the social as ive heard alot about these creatures but never caught/seen one. After a decent hookup i lost my first, about 5 mins later Quinfish lost 1 at the boat.

Got my first 1 just before dark on one of wattos rigs(minus the red glostick as someone forgot to give them to me. Thanks quinfish for yours). Not sure what time i got my smaller one but i know it was FrFrFrFreeeeezing. A short while later did the rounds of the houseboats to warm up a little before venturing back out. Only got a couple of more bites before nothing for the rest of the day. All in all a great night out, i caught a new fish for me and next year ill be back (in a houseboat this time).

if anyone has pics of me in my postie wet weather gear with my 2 hairtail, could i trouble you to email them to me at

Dangles1979@hotmail.com

thanx Daniel

Sure Daniel - I have some. I will email them to you now! :1prop:

got a question 4 anyone who has delt with these chrome toothy fish befor. during the cleaning of my catch i stabbed myself eithe on a tooth or gill os something, with in 45 minutes i was sick as a dog it really knocked me about do they have and poisons like the flatty?just really weird as i was fine befor and was only crook for about 4 hours.

cheers mick

got a question 4 anyone who has delt with these chrome toothy fish befor. during the cleaning of my catch i stabbed myself eithe on a tooth or gill os something, with in 45 minutes i was sick as a dog it really knocked me about do they have and poisons like the flatty?just really weird as i was fine befor and was only crook for about 4 hours.

cheers mick

Geez Mick...That's bad news.

I don't know if they have the flattie type of painful poison or not, but wouldn''t be surprised.

Hope you are feeling better now.

Anyone else know?

Cheers,

Pete.

Guest mrs rzep

Geez Mick...That's bad news.

I don't know if they have the flattie type of painful poison or not, but wouldn''t be surprised.

Hope you are feeling better now.

Anyone else know?

Cheers,

Pete.

Paul told me today that they have a poisonious streak - He is snoozing now seeing as though he was awake all night fishing and drinking with WATTO. I will be sure to ask him tomorrow when he wakes though :tease:

Edited by mrs rzep

Guest MRS WATTO

cheers mick

Apparently I have heard, if they bite you, you can bleed to death, as your blood wont clot etc. You need to get a bandage around the wound and rush to hospital. You can feel pretty ill also. Please note this is what I was told. Not sure if its correct information

Edited by MRS WATTO

hi all went out with 1975 yeaterday arvo met up with other raiders about 1ish headed out and done a bit of flicking with s/p for 2 undersized bream 1 flattie and a tailor about 4 pm we headed into jer bay stopped and said hi to some other raiders for a bit and kept going right down into the end of the bay and picked a nice spot in abot 11m of water anchored up got out the block of pillys ans send a cpl of unweighted baits out wasnt long and bang im on got it to the boat grabbed the trace and pop its gone :ranting2: (thinking this is not going to be our night)how wrong was i they were on the bite hard :yahoo: biggest prob being setting the hook with the gangs so decided to change to a single hook and cube the pillys worked a treat the next hour and a half was frantic with every bait getting hit quite a few were lost but we had about 10 in the boat by then and it went a bit quiet thinking its a good night we kicked back for a bit for a feed and then tap tap tap zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz on again their back another two hours of solid fishing and bagging out by the end of it we were releasing them.all my fish were caught on my bream stick with 4 pound braid but i did have 20pound leader with wire trace.biggest fish going about 122cm i think, called it quits about 10:30 back to the mother ship to show off say thanx and bye and were off back to atb ramp well so we thought took the wrong turn ended up going straight for the heads not funny at all turn around and try again eventually got to the bloody ramp 1am work the figures out left jer bay about 11pm back at the ramp 1am how lost were we but all in all a top night thanks to everyone who helped set up the social and its a shame we couldnt make it to the weigh in today but had other things on great to meet who we met and hope you all got into them

cheers mick

(1975 also bagged out but ill let him tell you about that)

A great couple hours of fishing :thumbup: Thanks to all the organisers for putting it together!

Everyones been saying how illusive the hairtail can be so you can imagine how i felt when Mick hooked up to our first hairtail and after a tough struggle on light gear he got it to the boat, i had the net ready but had no idea how to net the thing so opted to grab the wire leader but as i lifted it, the fish came off.......silence........I almost died...didn't know what to say...."all good mate, no worries" say Mick but i knew that could have been our one and only chance of getting one.

Thankfully it was not our last fish. Got lucky with the spot and they pretty much did not stop, we were still catching them as we packed to head home so told all we met where they where, so hope a couple more got taken.

Billy

PS thanks Mick for the ride in your boat and sorry for almost directing us to New Zealand.

Edited by Flightmanager

Went out with GofishPete...... Headed back to the ramp at about midnight....

Met up with another Raider there who said that ......

inhlanzi

Hey Inhlanzi

That was me .... sorry i didnt introduce myself ... i was too busy talking to Pete .... and i think too eager to get into the car and off home to the warmth !

cheers

Rod

Edited by fishingrod

yeah all good now thanx pete but it koncked me for 6 i know that be interesting to see if anyone else knows if they do or not

hey billy all good man would of been great the little tinnie in the middle of the ocean next time we'll have to take the marlin gear lol thanx for the company it was a great night

mick

Edited by breamhntr