Official Hairtail Report

mrsswordfisherman

Sorry to have kept you all waiting , my afternoon nap lasted for 10 hours !! :074:

What a terrific weekends fishing! Our target fish , the Hairtail was caught by many members , and Im sure that everyone had a good time ,even though it was a little :frozen: .

Mrs Flightmanager , #1Son and myself started on Saturday morning , arrived at ATB , and put the boat in and headed off to Cottage Point to try for some livies for later in the evening. No livies , but Brettt caught a nice squid on a Berkely Squid SP!! Into the livie tank with him , and we tried a few drifts towards Akuna Bay for no result.

Back to ATB and set up our registration desk , Mrsflightmanager taking care of the registration process as members came down to start their weekends fishing. I remained in the boat , and managed to catch a few yakkas , which joined the squid in the livey tank!!

We spoke to several people at the ramp who werre curious as to what we were doing , and pointed them in the direction of the FR website , hopefully some new members will be joining us soon. :thumbup:

At 3PM , we headed off to find our floating accomodation for the weekend , a short trip to Jerusalem bay to find Kingies till I die and crew already moored with their houseboat . We managed to grab the last vacant mooring for the mothership , and shortly thereafter , she arrived . A quick? :074: transfer of all our gear and we were ready to party!! Next to arrive was Watto and Co. , on the last of the FR Houseboat fleet.

The spot we had selected was a nice quiet (until the arrival of Team Watto :074: ) inlet , which we figured would be well sheltered from the winds that had been predicted . What a great site , 3 houseboats , and several members boats all within a 100 metre radius!

We didnt have to wait long for radio reports of Hairtail being caught , our Hairtail Social was off to a flying start!!

Mrsflightmanager had prepared a wonderful spread of consumables for our crew , and we attacked them with gusto as we started to get our gear ready , bait prepared and lines finally in the water !

Our Skipper and Host , Fishy-Fingers , was busy in the galley preparing our evening meal , and the wine and beer began to flow freely , Mrsfishyfingers and Mrsflightmanager making sure we always had refreshments to keep us hydrated as we fished and chatted into the evening.

After we had enjoyed the fruits of Martins labours ( absolutely delicious Braised Lamb Shanks ) , the first of our members started to arrive to have their catches measured. Reports were still coming in from time to time by radio , the Hairies had arrived , and were in our section of the river !! :yahoo::yahoo: This continued most of the evening , and the mothership crew were only too happy to measure the fish , and pass on locations where the fish had been caught.

Breamhntr and 1975 arrived around 11PM or so , I asked how they had fared , and Billy informed me that they had " Bagged Out" ! Now , knowing how fishermen are sometimes inclined to exaggerate a little on their catches , I replied " Oh yes , right " , but upon looking into the floor of Micks boat , found it to be covered in fine examples of freshly caught Hairtail !! Thats right , 20 fish in the space of about 3 hours !! Well done boys!! A quick measuring session later , and Billy had the largest fish caught so far , a 1.21M model which one him the prize for largest fish!

Around midnight , everyone settled in for the night , and there were no more reports until Sunday morning. Kiwi Wanie and myself remained on duty until 0430 , trying without success for a Hairy , but having a few quiet drinks and much talk about fishing , kids and life in general. Thanks for the company mate , I had a great time fishing with you !

I was awoken about 7AM , to cries of " Waynes On , hes got a hairtail!!". I somehow made it to the back of the mothership , just as he pulled in a beautiful 68CM flathead! What a great start to the day!!

After a few cups of coffee , we decided to move the mothership into the bay proper , and try to catch some hairtail before the cutoff time of 11AM. Sadly , no fish , so we packed up and headed back to ATB .

I would like to thank Mrsflightmanager , for all of her help in getting us all registered,catches recorded and paperwork all in order. I couldnt have done it without you !!

Also , many thanks to Fishyfingers and his lovely wife , Nin , our hosts for the evening on the FR Mothership. The whole crew were very well looked after , and we all had a great time!!

Lastly , thanks to all of the members who joined us for this event , well done to those who caught Hairtail , we will do it all again next year , for sure !!

As soon as I get the pics from this weekend , I will post them up, if you have any pics that you took , post them up in this thread !!

Ross

Guest mrs rzep

It was a great trip!

Everyone had so much fun even though it was absolutly freezing. :frozen:

Paul and I managed to get a houseboat with the Watto's - What a great time we had.

Alot of drinking :beersmile: and no sleeping :05: happened on our boat. Thanks to Mrs Watto for my headache! You sure know how to keep someone awake :1fish:

Midnight arrived and I was calling out for :15: - She was still full of energy!!!

Paul and I met up with a few new raiders on the night - It was good to put a face to a name!

Unfortunalty we were not as lucky as some of the other raiders as we only pulled in one hairtail (better than none) I had not seen one before so I am glad that Paul got one.

Here is a photo of Paul (rzep) with his catch of the night.

post-2549-1183927116_thumb.jpg post-2549-1183927137_thumb.jpg

Sean caught this shark - Mitchell (little_rzep) was very excited to see a shark on board!

post-2549-1183927192_thumb.jpg post-2549-1183927200_thumb.jpg

Sean had only had his line in the water for less than 2 minutes and he was on!! :tease:

For the amount of hairtail caught over the weekend that is an awesome effort!

GO YOU FISHRAIDERS!!!!!

:1fishing1:

During the night we got a visit from Robbie (Quinfish) and Daniel (Dangles) - They wanted to show off their catches and I was able to get a photo of Daniel.

post-2549-1183927552_thumb.jpg

We will brave the cold again next year and attend as it was alot of fun. It's good that everyone can come along and have a great time. Fishraider has brought us so many friends which I think is great!!!! :1prop:

Can't wait to read all of the reports..

Sounds like one and all had a great time :thumbup:

I can't believe the huge level of sucess at catching these slippery little suckers

Obviously sounds like another typical Fishraider Social Weekend.Absolutely unreal :biggrin2::yahoo:

Can't wait for the pics,

Cheers,

Stumpy

Guest MRS WATTO

It was a great nite and I really had fun. Thanks Rzep, Mrs Rzep and Little Rzep for the company.

I do apoligise if I was having fun and if I was loud :biggrin2: But that is me :biggrin2::biggrin2:

Edited by MRS WATTO

HI Raiders,

Well what can i say other than i had a great time.

Great to meet a lot of the people i have read reports from over the last year or so.

I would like to thank FISHRAIDER for having such a good site. The best without a doubt.

Great bunch of people and i would like to say thanks to Mr & Mrs Fishy fingers for being good fun and great company. Martin you cook a great feed and Nina you pour a bloke a perfect bourbon. Keep in contact guys.

Same goes to Flightmanager and family for being welcoming and again great company. You guys all did a great job and i will certainly look forward to participating in gigs in the future. All the best and thanks again.

Well i didnt catch anything other than yakkas that no predators wanted to eat - mate it didnt matter. I was stoked to actually see a hairtail and happy for everyone that bagged one. Its pretty good to wake up in the morning to Wayne saying "I'm On". Nice flattie mate and it made a great CLUNK sound when it hit the deck.

Also good to meet Wayne and Searabbit. Boys bring that downrigger into Middle Harbour next season and i would be more than happy to show you all of my favourite spots.

Here is a couple of random shots of some of the boys who landed fish.

Cheers Zenman

post-2060-1183947849_thumb.jpg

post-2060-1183947931_thumb.jpg

Edited by mrs rzep

Guest MRS WATTO

RZEP

post-2011-1183948196_thumb.jpg

post-2011-1183949083_thumb.jpg

PEITA

post-2011-1183948581_thumb.jpg

DANGLES

post-2011-1183948925_thumb.jpg

CAIGE

post-2011-1183949397_thumb.jpg

LITTLE RZEP (MITCHELL)

post-2011-1183949492_thumb.jpg

Edited by mrs rzep

Guest rzep

Rzep you looked stoked mate congrats on the hairy :) it was a fun time had by all id like to hear from the other lb'ers who participated i already have my post up and it would be interesting to see how the others went :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Brad

Thanks Brad,

I really didn't expect to catch anything so I was over the moon. I was hoping that Peita would catch one also but unfortunately I was the only one on our boat to land one.

It was a top night and I am still recovering. :wacko:

Watto and I nodded off at about 5:00am yeserday morning and woke up around 5:30am wet from all of the dew. :074::074:

I hooked onto a nice sized flatty at around 7:00am but unfortunately it spat the hooks at the edge of the boat. :1badmood:

It was good to meet everyone who dropped by to say G'day and it was great to see so many Hairtail getting caught.

The only complaint that I have about the weekend is:

HOW SLOW ARE THOSE HOUSE BOATS!!

:074:

Well done to Ross and Cath for all their work to make the night a succes. :yahoo:

Hi all , great day, night and next morning spent on water, great to catch up once again, anchored in Pinta bay with other Raiders after dropping Crab pots at Little jerusalem bay. Got double hook up me and Caige (outdodad) for two hairtail going 109 and 112cm with Caige getting biggest as usual, half hour later and Caige is on again with a 116.5cm specimen, while Buddy Joe had missed hits. Picked up a good feed of crabs also to top it off. Mad feed tonite. Hairtail and ginger, garlic crab. Catch u soon Cheers Dave.

post-1870-1183970511_thumb.jpg

post-1870-1183970533_thumb.jpg

Got double hook up me and Caige (outdodad) for two hairtail going 109 and 112cm with Caige getting biggest as usual, half hour later and Caige is on again with a 116.5cm specimen

Hey Offtap!

I'd be seriously thinking of using your son as bait......... it may be the only way to outfish him

Cheers Big Fella,

Stumpy

Edited by stumpy

Guest MRS WATTO

Hi all , great day, night and next morning spent on water, great to catch up once again, anchored in Pinta bay with other Raiders after dropping Crab pots at Little jerusalem bay. Got double hook up me and Caige (outdodad) for two hairtail going 109 and 112cm with Caige getting biggest as usual, half hour later and Caige is on again with a 116.5cm specimen, while Buddy Joe had missed hits. Picked up a good feed of crabs also to top it off. Mad feed tonite. Hairtail and ginger, garlic crab. Catch u soon Cheers Dave.

HEY DAVE

HOW COME CAIGE CATCHES MORE FISH THAN YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Claudia

I think it's cause Dave is relegated to being Skipper and Deckie :1prop:

just a typical dad thing

Outstanding social guys and what great result in the number of fish

landed this year :thumbup:

Fishraider sure rocked the Hawkesbury :yahoo:

I expect ALL the recipes to be posted for making everyone drool

at the talk of fresh Hairtail (curried or otherwise) and Crab

Chris

Guest MRS WATTO

Hey, we had a top night at the Hairtail social over the weekend - thanks to the organisers. Arrived at Apple Tree Bay where we met Mr & Mrs Flightmanager and a few other raiders. We then headed to collect a few livies, managed four taylors. We ended up at Jerusalem Bay and ankered up for the rest of the night just inside the mouth of the bay. We were quite a distance from the Mothership and the rest of the boats, still we could always hear the noise from Watto's houseboat :thumbup: I fished with new member Davehey (brother in law). We didn't get any hairtails but David managed to catch a couple of Pike Eels, a few more taylors and was over the moon with catching his first Jew fish - 50cm.

Claus

Great report Santa

Well done David, great catch, glad you both had a great time. Wattos houseboat was very quiet

good work on the social to all that attended seems as thou there were PLENTY of toothy critters to be had

some great pics, i was happy at home nice and warm hehe

you guys and gals must of FROOOOZE out there

steve

Wow! :1yikes:

What a FANTASTIC effort by all the attending Raiders! :yahoo:

Ross, as you know this was your baby. A huge :thumbup: for organising this event & it's great to see all of your & Cath's efforts turn out to be such a massive success!

Congrats to all who caught Hairtail & to all attendees for making this such a great social. :1fishing1:

Cheers,

Grant.

once again id just like to thank everyone who was involved in setting up a fantastic night :thumbup: to you all id never caught a hairy befor and some how i managed to bag it out best night iv had in a long time and to the raider i met it was tops to meet you all and hope to see you on the water soon

cheers mick