Alternative To A 12v

hatheadheaven

Fishraiders expertise needed.........

Mate bought a Navman 4100 sounder and it needs 12v to run. The boat is only a tinny (390 Dart), so for space reasons, was wondering if there are any alternatives to using the large 12v batteries? Are there battery packs available which use AA batteries that could be used as a substitute? Any help would be appreciated. :)

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

I have a tinny as well and went thru the same issue.

My sounder is run off a sealed 12v battery, which you can buy Bias, Whitworths, or most 4 wheel drive places.

They measure approx 20cm x 10cm x7cm, cost about $40 - the charger will also cost about $25.

(Tip - get yourself the battery carry bag as well, it's about $18)

The sounders don't use very much power at all, so these batteries are perfect and they'll last for days before you need to re-charge them. (I run a 12volt nav light off mine as well)

You connect the sounder directly to the battery terminals - easy as!!!

Rod

I have a sounder in my tinny which I run off one of those battery packs you see in supercheap and other places for jump starting your car. I have just wired the sounder up to a cigarette lighter plug and plug it straight into the pack. They come with there own charger cord for 240 volt, are robust and come in handy when the battery is flat on the car or a young damsil is in distress on the side of the road. I think you can pick the cheap ones up for under $50, work supplies mine so I am not real sure.

shane

I have the same one Rodf is talking about from Bias in it's own carry case, and cig lighter socket on the side. So easy to use, plug the sounder in when fishing, and the charger at home! never open the case, the charger is a Smart charger so you just plug it in and leave it!