Budget (cheap) Fishing Gear - Saratoga Rods

Holmesie

Hi guys'n'gals, having spent up reasonably big on a nice safe reliable boat, I find myself in the unfortunate position of having to buy my tackle from the cheaper/budget end of the market... While I would love to stock up on nice reliable brand name gear that will last forever, it's just not possible :wacko: (and yes I have tried selling one of the kids :1prop: )

So I'm interested in hearing from anyone in a similar position to me, and using Saratoga rods in particular - reels I understand aren't really worth scrimping on and I already have a nice Penn Seaboy and some Abu Garcia reels. But when it comes to rods are the cheaper ones a risk, particularly for outside fishing?

Any comments or experiences would be appreciated.

Cheers

Holmesie :thumbup:

Edited by Holmesie

Holmesie

I think that the best quality fishing tackle you can afford

is the way to go......As you aware there are some good

second hand gear through other fisho's offloading excess stock or

losing interest' and moving on..............

There is nothing worse than coming across the big one

the fish of a life time whilst watching your rod fitting's

self destruct and ping off back were there came from...

Have you thought of selling two of the kid's ....lol....

Cheer's Warnie

ps and you don't get the fish...................

Bought one and I managed to snap it. And this was supposed to be a good rod. Stay away from ebay too is my thought of the day.

Honestly, save a few bucks and your better off buying an $80 rod from tackle stores than a saratoga

Edited by johnno

G,day Holmesie,

I have to agree with ungry warnie.

I have three saratoga rods, two 4 to 8kg class and one 6 to 15kg class, total cost around $70. I have also had two shimano rods in the spectrum series 6 to 8 kg and a silstar crystal tip 8 to 12kg class and I have managed to break one of the shimanos at $240 and the silstar at $130. :1badmood: I am yet to break a Saratoga, and I'm not saying that I wont, and Ive landed some nice kings, the biggest 88cm and bonnies to 68cm on them since December last year and am yet to find or experience a problem, treat them for what they are and do not hold your expectations to high and maintain them well $23 a rod "IF" it was to break doesnt hurt as much in the hip pocket.

I will at some stage purchase other name brand gear, but while things are tight, SARATOGA brand will do me just fine as long as Im catching fish.

Good gear can still fail when you have the fish of a life time on! :05:

Cheers.

thanks for the replies guys - I value your comments :thumbup:

$23 a rod "IF" it was to break doesnt hurt as much in the hip pocket.

I will at some stage purchase other name brand gear, but while things are tight, SARATOGA brand will do me just fine as long as Im catching fish.

this is my line of thinking too Lewis :biggrin2:

Hi there I just a suggestion, keep an eye out when &&*&*& have their sales for fishing, as they stock Penn Power sticks, I have an Penn's ultimate 12foot rod that I take to do all types of land based fishing, and its in destructable, the only thing happend to the rod was when i cracked the top guide which needed to be replaced apart from that its been through hell and still going strong. I also own a couple of Penn Power stick and I find then to be pretty good value for money. I own a couple of 7foot spinning rod in then 6-10kg and 10-15kg ranges and they seems pretty strong and sturdy, when I got them I got them at a sale and both was under $50, they come with fuji guides aswell, but the reel seat could be better. Just some food for thought, but its just my personal opinion.

Cheers