Monday... Once In A Lifetime

barrykrocker

Okay, it's been a pretty busy couple of days since monday, so I've only just now got a chance to post a the report of a fish of a lifetime.

the condensed version:

We went to browns with Dan Trotter of xxxxxxxxxx, (eastcoastin'), my brother Danny, my dad, and debbie (who we have to thank for the photos) in search of Yellow fin. we got a sh*tload more than we hoped for.

We were at the end of a few kms of trolling, and were about to pull up to to start cubing when I heard Dan yell something with unmistakable excitement in his voice. the reel of the 24kg outfit screamed, and I nimbly got to it first, we had avoided the question of who was on first strike! As the fish ran, and continued to run, Debbie, a never angler was heard to say "hey? fishing is fun!"

In the end it did not matter because all three of us had to strap on the crappy little gimball and take hold of the rod....

Dan was the only one onboard who'd seen the take...and assured us that it was good fish. 30kgs? more?

The hookup occurred at 2.00 and maybe 45 minutes later we got the near the boat the surface, and saw that it was a MONSTER. Dan called it for a Southern Blue fin. It saw the boat and left with demoralizing ease...

when i say "left", i mean we were seriously doubting whether we were going to see it again. it evidently hadn't yet started it's fight, and it went deep.

We were ill- prepared, for a fish like this. no harness and our gaff was a far cry from what we needed – a BIG diamond. Also, in making its escape the tuna had seriously scuffed the mainline on the hull…

We took it to Sydney Game Fishing Club, which had been opened for weighing. Can't thank them enough for it. it weighed 105.5kg. also thanks to scotty for coming over and expertly butchering it

Thanks for coming out Dan, great to share the once per lifetime capture with you

Teddy

Edited by barrykrocker

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is unbelievable. 105kgs. The other day at the fishraider forum ross hunter was saying that the 80kg yellowfin caught that week was the biggest in about 6 or 7 seasons. this fish must be breaking some records.

well done to all that were involved.

JayKay

Well done, guys & girl

Awesome fish - & it was teamwork that brought it in. Fantastic photos, too - I love the slightly blurred ones, to show the real/reel action!!

I bet you'll be taking your video camera on every trip from now on ...... perhaps just leave one permanently on board with a stash of batteries!~

Fish of a Lifetime!! Brilliant!!

Cheerio

Roberta

That is unbelievable. 105kgs. The other day at the fishraider forum ross hunter was saying that the 80kg yellowfin caught that week was the biggest in about 6 or 7 seasons. this fish must be breaking some records.

well done to all that were involved.

JayKay

Conrats.! fellas That is the first Bluefin I have heard caught on rod and reel for many seasons We did catch a heap of small fish to 25kg about ten years ago. I do recall getting spooled on 37kg at the mountain about the same era We were most suspicious of a gaint bluefin . The record is 300 kg on rod and reel and believe it or not it was caught at the Peak in the early 60's..The late Jack Farrel was the gaff man I have an old archival clipping from the Telegraph I will dig it out and post for your interest.

Well done lads a champion effort . I know the pain that it requires to tame such a big fish.

Ross Hunter

Thats a awesome fish, its the fish of a lifetime for any angler and i can only imagine the feeling of seeing such a beast hit the deck.

Congrats to you and your brother and Eastcoastin for what is the best catch i have ever seen reported.

Plenty of :1gathering::1gathering: at BBQs for the next 50 years for you guys over this fish

what a wonderfull fish

TOP effort boys and you sure were rewarded with that fish of a life time

all the hard work sure did pay off

seems as thou theres some BIIIIIIIIG fish lurking around out there..

well done again :thumbup::yahoo::thumbup:

cheers steve