Help Required.

Guest Jocool

Below is a pic of the CC that is to be fitted to my boat. I need to make the cutouts to fit the gauges etc. How do you do it? With a jigsaw, or would a hole saw be better?

I was thinking of cutting out a section as shown in the second pic, and getting a nylon/plastic plate made up that would be easier to cut. Is that an option?

Makes sure you have a good quality holesaw kit too, it helps a lot.  They aren't cheap bits of gear either!!!

22314[/snapback]

Jo

I have a good quality set at work you can borrow mate :beersmile:

I haven't forgotten about the monitor either just broke this week :1badmood:

Boppa

Joe

Id use a hole saw for the gauges.

Prior to drilling your CC Id try it out on some "equal to scrap" to ensure it will cut OK through that material.

Before you drill your CC and assuming you have set everything out, stick some masking tape across the centre point of the hole you intend to drill, (stops the drill bit slipping around for the initial pilot hole before the hole saw cuts into play). This will ensure everything is symmetrical and lines up.

Once the pilot hole done set the drill on high speed and check its not also on a hammer setting for masonary.

Big cut outs Id go with the jigsaw.

Check hole sizes with instruments, eg sufficient lip to fix down as you only get one chance to get it right once you hole saw into your CC

Hey, you most probably know all of the above but thought Id mention it just in case.

Cheers Martin

Thanks for all the advice guys. I was thinki9ng of doing what you mentioned Martin, but was just checking to see if anyone knows an easier way! :1prop:

Rather than cutting individual holes for the gauges, would it worth cutting a big rectangular hole and getting some plastic made up to fit? Or is that too much mucking around?

Joe

Mounting your gauges on a seperate plate may give you an advantage when you need access for maintenance. I had to replace my fuel gauge recently and it was a real pain removing the gauge locating screws and terminals whilst laying upside down and ripping skin off the back of my hand trying to get at it.

Reckon if you leave enough slack in your cabling when installing the gauges and mount them on a plate as you mention you will be able to pull the whole lot forward and out to get access.

Only issue is to make sure you seal the plate to the console facia, so you dont get water in behind. May be a "H section" rubber seal would work if your plate (for the gauges) is about the same thickness as the material the console is made out of. Failing that, hinge across the top of your plate with a stainless piano hinge and glue a soft rubber gasket behind the plate. Pull the plate back against the console and gasket with a couple of screws in the bottom corners (bit like a hatch) or dispense with the hinge and secure the plate with screws to each corner of the plate (can look pretty good if you get hold of some nice knurled stainles nuts)

Just a couple of options to consider - Good luck

John

Joe I just got back from a week away at Nelson bay with the wife and kids if you need a a hole saw set I can lend you mine its a Starrett set and drills through Alloy fibre glass or timber It has 35mm 50mm 80mm and 100 mm sizes I always found putting masking tape on the area helped the bit from slipping or chipping the paint work as a hint :thumbup::thumbup: