Kingfish How Do You Guys Cook It ?

Thomas Mattarelli

Hey guys and girls,

the other day after work i stopped into the Sydney fish markets looking for some nice flathead fillets came across kingfish thought i would give it a go so in saying this i got the good man to fillet it and skin it for me and took it home, the whole way home im thinking they would be nice crumbed and fryed BOY! was a wrong guys wasnt impressed one littlebit it went all mashy and just didnt taste very good at all so i thought i would ask you guys what did i do wrong cause this was the first time i ever cooked it and would like to try it again hopefully in a nicer way

i might also add it was also a pretty small fish about 2kilo if that makes any difference

any feedback would be make appreiciated

Thanks

Thomas

Hi Thomas.

There are two ways I would do it. First one leave the skin on, it goes nice and crispy. Skin side down in a pan, not to hot until its crispy, then in the oven for a couple of minutes. Try and leave it medium, not nice when well done :thumbdown: The other way is sashimi. Bit of soy, lime and wasabi. Really thinly sliced its not as good as blue fin but cheaper. Also the bigger fish aren't as good as the small ones, I think anyway. Or is that just an excuse I use?????

Hope that helps

Alasdair

You don't cook it...

fresh sashimi with wasabi and soy sauce should do... hehe

or if you're not a fan of raw fish. cut it into cutlets and marinade with salt and pepper and lemon... shallow fry it and it should taste good.

Cheers

Hi Tom,

I eat it raw with soy and wasabi. Just the thought of it makes me hungry.

Too much heat will destroy it and make it go dry and tasteless so i usually just pan fry with not much heat.

Another good way is to put like one third to half a can of coconut milk into a fry pan then top up with milk and add shallots or whatever you like. A bit of chilli is a must.

Bring to a simmer then whack in your kingie fillets. Do not overdo it remember medium at most.

Serve on a bed of rice. Cant go too wrong. Once youve done this once you can perfect your own signature dish based on and around this method.

Cheers Zenman. If in doubt eat it raw. I have never been sick from this and been eating them this way on and off for years. And yes the smaller ones are the best. Legal to like 80cm or 90cm at the most.

Kingy sashimi is fantastic and it's hard to go past...

However if I'm actually going to cook kingfish I usually make a marinade of fresh baby chilli, ginger, garlic, small amount of salt and pepper, juice of one lime and coriander...

Marinade cutlets or fillets in the fridge for an hour or so then cook for 2-3 mins on each side (depending on thickness) on a very hot bbq....

As long as you don't overcook it this tastes fantastic...

I prefer kingy to be a bit raw in the middle still rather than overcooked as it tastes like crap when it dries out....

Cheers

Tony

:beersmile:

Ive had Kingy 4 ways now.

1 smoked covered in brown sugar and salt for a couple hours first.

2 like Zenman said, coconut milk, lime corriander chilli served on rice with a couple steam baby bak choy leaves

3 chuck the fillets in a roasting dish, in a bowl combine a bit of soy, spoon of sugar, processed or finely chopped ginger bit of water and a heap of thinly sliced shallots. Chuck it all together wack some tin foil over the top of roasting dish and cook on about 200 for 10 minutes or so. Peel back the foil to check how its coming along. You can do any whole small fish this way too. Just like in the chinese restaurants but doesnt cost you $40.

4 last but definitley not least was beer battered. Cut the fillets in decent cocktail sizes, make the normal beer flour salt and water batter but throw a tray of ice cubes into the batter as well to slightly chill the batter lets set for a little bit. Flour the fish and then run through the batter and half cook in clean oil. By putting the ice in the batter it makes it nice light and crunch/crispy. Cant go wrong.

cheers

Dan

i fillets the kingiy and cook it on the bbq with a marinade my mum makes for me which they used to use in south america. it has olive oil, garlic, tomato, parsley and some other stuff of which i cannot remember but will endevour to find out.

Guts and gills out asap

and put on ice preferably salt water ice to keep chilled

Off to my local butcher who cuts the fish up into steaks

Brush steaks top and bottom with olive oil

Lightly grill watch for white colour and turn grill other side

add a little salt and pepper and serve with a mild lemon garlic butter sauce and salad

yumfriggino

one of my most favourite seafood dishes

cheers

inhlanzi

firstly start with a freshly caught king!

fillet then this is how i cook my fish;

skin side down on foil squeeze fresh lemon splash of olive oil salt n pepper and a good lot of fresh chopped parsley! wrap in foil cook on medium heat in fry pan or bbq for probably 3min each side for small king! then when you unwrap the foil carefully turn fish over leaving skin stuck to foil!

or if your after something different get the @%#$^ dvd kingfish sessions and theres a cooking section in extras with 2 great chefs and i think 8 different dishes!

go manu(spelling)

Ive had Kingy 4 ways now.

1 smoked covered in brown sugar and salt for a couple hours first.

2 like Zenman said, coconut milk, lime corriander chilli served on rice with a couple steam baby bak choy leaves

3 chuck the fillets in a roasting dish, in a bowl combine a bit of soy, spoon of sugar, processed or finely chopped ginger bit of water and a heap of thinly sliced shallots. Chuck it all together wack some tin foil over the top of roasting dish and cook on about 200 for 10 minutes or so. Peel back the foil to check how its coming along. You can do any whole small fish this way too. Just like in the chinese restaurants but doesnt cost you $40.

4 last but definitley not least was beer battered. Cut the fillets in decent cocktail sizes, make the normal beer flour salt and water batter but throw a tray of ice cubes into the batter as well to slightly chill the batter lets set for a little bit. Flour the fish and then run through the batter and half cook in clean oil. By putting the ice in the batter it makes it nice light and crunch/crispy. Cant go wrong.

cheers

Dan

How did it go smoked?