What Size Reel?

Steve Mc

Hi Raiders, do you think a 4000 size threadline is big enough for jews and kings. I don't mean monster kings, just those that you would find in Botany Bay throughout the summer. If so what strength line would you recommend? I am thinking about a Shimano Symetre or Sedona. Any comments on those reels?

Cheers,

Steve

Hi Raiders, do you think a 4000 size threadline is big enough for jews and kings. I don't mean monster kings, just those that you would find in Botany Bay throughout the summer. If so what strength line would you recommend? I am thinking about a Shimano Symetre or Sedona. Any comments on those reels?

Cheers,

Steve

I use a variety of the big spinning reels and alveys for jew and kingfish but really for strength and value you cannot get much better than a 6500 Shimano for use with live baits or big dead baits.

The 6500's Shimanos have been around for near decades and the next step up are the Penn ss reels which are as good as it gets for strength, longevity and value.

Of course there are the big Pfluegers and Ticas which I also use but the 6500 Shimano baitrunner has got plenty going for it at the price, don't worry about that

If your into soft plastics I can't advise you other than to say in early days nothing short of an alvey wold be considered suittable for jewies or kingfish and you would have to spend an arm and a leg to have a 4000 series good enough to handle these jewfish and kingfish brutes.

Hope this helps.

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Mate definately get a bigger reel then a 4000.......a 4000 will be fine for smaller jews and kings but last year saw a ew larger models out of botany...1 metre + kings and if that hit then you would be in trouble....

Most jew fish under 10kg wont give you much of a fight and the 4000 would be fine...but if you get onto a bigger one you may find yourself undergunned...

A 5kg king will decimate a 4000 size reel.....The baitrunner as mentioned is a good option as it is a good all round reel...But dont forget to upgrade the drag washers

Mate definately get a bigger reel then a 4000.......a 4000 will be fine for smaller jews and kings but last year saw a ew larger models out of botany...1 metre + kings and if that hit then you would be in trouble....

Most jew fish under 10kg wont give you much of a fight and the 4000 would be fine...but if you get onto a bigger one you may find yourself undergunned...

A 5kg king will decimate a 4000 size reel.....The baitrunner as mentioned is a good option as it is a good all round reel...But dont forget to upgrade the drag washers

I would like to see a tiny 5kg King decimate my 4000 certate :biggrin2:

i have got jews up 10kg on a 4000 daiwa lugana no problems

the shimano baitrunner 6500 would be the weapon of chioce though! just incase you get a 20kg fish.

however for your average 4-6kg jew, its overkill. In fact not long ago my mate landed a 6kg jew on my boat with his big 6500 shimano baitrunner. He pulled it in, in under 1 minute. and it then went mental on the floor of the boat. took the fun out of the fight IMO the fish wasnt beeten yet

i always have 2 big bait runners with the bigger livies right under the boat, and 2 4000 reels lobbed back a bit with squid or smaller livies to aviod tangles.

but the jews always hit the ligher rods

depends how you fish for them also, i wouldnt use a 6500 reel if you are targeting either kings or jews using plastics

Thanks for the opinions.

While the 6500 baitrunner sounds like a great option from your commenst, it does stretch the budget out a fair bit.

No one has commented on lines. What would you suggest?

CaineS this might be a stupid question but why wouldn't you use the 6500 baitrunner for plastics?

Steve

Thanks for the opinions.

While the 6500 baitrunner sounds like a great option from your commenst, it does stretch the budget out a fair bit.

No one has commented on lines. What would you suggest?

CaineS this might be a stupid question but why wouldn't you use the 6500 baitrunner for plastics?

Steve

i think they are to big and not made for casting small jig heads around

line wise 30lb braid if not more on the big reels, on my 4000's i run 20lb braid on one and 20lb mono on another

Cheers,

Steve

Hi mate. I use a 4000 size Shimano with 14LB Rapala braid for luring kings and jews and find it just right for average fish that you seem to get on lure. If i was using baits i would definitly go bigger than a 4000 Shimano.

Just remember a 4000 Daiwa is a size bigger than a 4000 Shimano. I rekon a 4000 or 4500 Daiwa would be OK for baiting.

Me personally would stay away from a Symetre or Sedona in anything bigger than a 2500. In small sizes on small fish they feel alright, but you notice the play alot more in these cheaper reels in bigger sizes and they feel crap. I think from memory these two reels only have a 1 disk drag aswell which isnt that good. I generally get a better quality reel the bigger in size I go.

Edited by Roylo

I would like to see a tiny 5kg King decimate my 4000 certate :biggrin2:

Well i saw a big squid decimate big steves 2500 Certate so i can imagine 5kg could do it to a 4000, But in all honesty Stewy, Steve MC was talking about a Sedona or Symetre, Not a top end 4000 reel, a symetre or sedona would not handle a 5kg/85cm king too well..

:ranting2: i thought the certate was just all it when i got it

true story, i was actually just about to throw it over board out of frustration before oz told me to wake up to myself,

to think a BIG squid can FU++ my certate who would of thought..

this was only this year, so now im awaiting my new shimano stella 2500.. dawia gets the big :thumbdown:

with me now... each to there own i guess...

steve

:ranting2: i thought the certate was just all it when i got it

true story, i was actually just about to throw it over board out of frustration before oz told me to wake up to myself,

to think a BIG squid can FU++ my certate who would of thought..

this was only this year, so now im awaiting my new shimano stella 2500.. dawia gets the big :thumbdown:

with me now... each to there own i guess...

steve

Geez boys ,if squid are giving you a hard time :1yikes: time to use the sash cord for all your fishing :074:

Cheers Stewy

You have to at least get the bait out first to catch the kings that eat them :yahoo:

Mate, how do you upgrade the drag washers? Any advice? I've just bought a 6500 for exactly this purpose.

Cheers,

neil

Mate give Tony a call, im sure he can get the upgrade sorted for you

Geez boys ,if squid are giving you a hard time time to use the sash cord for all your fishing

Mate its not the squid, everyother reel we have use never has probably....steves certate shit itself...who knows maybe its defective.....but i told him to buy Shimano and he didnt listen....the stradic i use has seen way more action then his certate and its still going strong......

Im sure he wont have any problems with the stella 2500 he just bought

Edited by netic

Mate u could try go for a Okuma Ecplise 60 baitrunner, I own of one this and have taken plenty of fish on it, I took a 67cm kingy on 20lb tuf line on this and no problems, numerous bonitos up to 3.5kgs off the rocks. Costed me about $135 from memory, I prefer the baitrunner version over the spinning. Food for thought here, or you can go the epix 60 but I think the eclpise is a tougher reel.

Cheers

I have just been reading jewgaffers excellent words of wisdom and it has made me think about this initial reel question that I had. The consensus seems to be that i should go for a Shimano Baitrunner but is that because it is a tough reel that will handle these fish or is it also because of the baitrunner function? If so, under what circumstances would I be using the baitrunner drag?

Thanks, Steve

I have just been reading jewgaffers excellent words of wisdom and it has made me think about this initial reel question that I had. The consensus seems to be that i should go for a Shimano Baitrunner but is that because it is a tough reel that will handle these fish or is it also because of the baitrunner function? If so, under what circumstances would I be using the baitrunner drag?

Thanks, Steve

Hi Steve I can see by the way you're thinking that a brand spankking new Shimano 6500 baitrunner is the real go for you old friend.

Forget all about the bait runner part of the equation as that will only give your livie far too much freedom.

Steve we want all your livies to struggle about in full panic, not just merrliy swim off into freedom, hiding in easy cover somewhere, tangling your other lines all over the place, we want them to trigger the big jew into real fast action :thumbup:

Just treat the baitrunner feature as a real quick hook setting skull dragging jaw locker upper :074:

Go with that mate. You just can't go wrong! :thumbup::yahoo:

Cheers

With kind regards,

Hi Steve I can see by the way you're thinking that a brand spankking new Shimano 6500 baitrunner is the real go for you old friend.

Forget all about the bait runner part of the equation as that will only give your livie far too much freedom.

Steve we want all your livies to struggle about in full panic, not just merrliy swim off into freedom, hiding in easy cover somewhere, tangling your other lines all over the place, we want them to trigger the big jew into real fast action :thumbup:

Just treat the baitrunner feature as a real quick hook setting skull dragging jaw locker upper :074:

Go with that mate. You just can't go wrong! :thumbup::yahoo:

Cheers

With kind regards,

Huh? the bait runner feature doesnt let your livie free spool.

Thanks, Steve

Hey Steve I hope I haven't confused you by not giving you other excellent options available when using a baitrunner drag.

Your know I refer to boat fishing and always highlight the fact and make it loud and clear that I prefer to hamper smaller than 7 inch livies by using heavy snapper leads and tighten the drag to enforce my own views on livies struggling in panic and jew tug of war games for faster and more deadly hook ups and less involvement of other lines in a well staggered rod spread.

My bigger size bait fish are always fished with my taking advantage of baitrunner design, if I am using same at the time, and allowing the bait fish to swim freely and unhampered especially in surf, jetty and under float in rough bottom rock fishing situations.

The subsequent advantage of using a baitrunner as you know is for quick drag engagement and faster hookset.

Forgive me for taking the other excellent baitrunner options for granted and not covering them all fully in my reply as I felt it would be all self expanatory without any need for hindsight due to the very fact with a baitrunner reel the word baitrunner describes itself but then again there are always other preferred options :biggrin2:

cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1::thumbup:

Edited by jewgaffer