ARTICLE - Best Ever Tips For BLACKIE FISHING by Roberta

arpie

Hi Steve

in times of extreme need (middle of winter) I've even resorted to getting some weed (and cabbage) posted to me from Sydney when I've been unable to locate any up here!!! :1yikes: If you can't find any, give me a yell & I'll shove some in a Vac Bag & mail it to you! :biggrin2: along with a weed fly!

I'll be taking my blackie gear with me to the Entrance Social this weekend. :1prop:

Cheers

Roberta

Hi Roberta,

Thanks for the offer of sending down some weed and the fly. When I next head down to the coast, probably after Easter, I’ll see if I can locate some weed at a few spots on the way. It’s all part of the learning process. If I have no luck, I’ll take you up on your kind offer.

I went on a Victorian based forum VicSalt and asked if anyone fished for luderick down here. One bloke did and posted alot of advice on spots fairly close to Melbourne, as well as gear he uses and weed locations. Very keen.

I bought another rod at a garage sale on Saturday. It’s a home made one with an orange one piece blank. Just over 8 feet long and a very nice soft action. It was probably made as a mudeye or bream rod. I’ve already used it with a Steelite centrepin reel on a nearby lake and it handled redfin and small carp very well. I think it will make a nice estuary blackfish rod. And it set me back the princely sum of $5!

Cheers,

Steve.

Do any Blackie Fishraiders know anyone that can do repair work on a small Steelite centrepin? One of them that I have wont keep the spool on and the plate on the spool has one of the screws that is loose. Also a spring or wire is visible coming out from under the spool plate. I'd like to bring the reel back to a useable state even though I've got others I can use.

I've come across thin, stringy green algae at a few dams and slow moving drains or creeks near where I live. It's freshwater not estuary or sea but I'm wondering if it could be used for black fish, provided it stays on the hook OK.

Cheers,

Steve.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Steve

in times of extreme need (middle of winter) I've even resorted to getting some weed (and cabbage) posted to me from Sydney when I've been unable to locate any up here!!! :1yikes: If you can't find any, give me a yell & I'll shove some in a Vac Bag & mail it to you! :biggrin2: along with a weed fly!

I'll be taking my blackie gear with me to the Entrance Social this weekend. :1prop:

Cheers

Roberta

Roberta

Would you mind having a "Lady to lady" with my wife about letting me fish whenever I want? Your husband is truelly blessed!

.....Your husband is truelly blessed!... he he he On the odd occasion, I've even talked him into jumping in & swimming after an escaping float ....... even when he doesn't have his Speedos on!!!1yikes.gif I think I am the lucky one!! biggrin2.gif

Roberta

At Yamba for 2 nights (just arrived this arvo) so hope to hit the blackies tomorrow! 1prop.gif

.....Your husband is truelly blessed!... he he he On the odd occasion, I've even talked him into jumping in & swimming after an escaping float ....... even when he doesn't have his Speedos on!!!1yikes.gif I think I am the lucky one!! biggrin2.gif

Roberta

At Yamba for 2 nights (just arrived this arvo) so hope to hit the blackies tomorrow! 1prop.gif

:Funny-Post: God help those Yamba blackfish !! :biggrin2:

Cheers :thumbup:

Byron :1fishing1:

• 8 months later...

It has been some time since I posted previously and I'm only just getting my finger out trying to locate blackfish in the Tamar River, TAS.

The Brother in law and I (he's keen to learn) spent some time trying, at absolute low tide, to find some green weed growing in the Tamar. This will hopefully give us a bit of a guide for places to fish.

There seems to be no shortage of green weed about. This pier was just off the Beauty Point boat ramp:

bpweed.jpg

On the opposite shore to Beauty Point we spied a very green line of rocks and checked it out. There was a stretch of about 150m of very weedy rocks just North of the woodchip mill wharfs. The tide was really ripping through on the in run. Maybe closer to the top of the tide when the rocks are covered it'll be worth a good go.

Still, I'm trying to find some places on the Western shore for land-based blackfishing.

Also, I found a photo of my dad blackfishing on Lake Illawarra, my older brother and myself- sometime in the late 70's. He taught me and his dad taught him. Now I have a son, I want to do my bit to keep the skills going.

BFLI.jpg

Edited by korg20000bc

Nice looking weed there, too, Korg - carefully removed so you get it's full length - it should work a treat! Keep an eye on any of the smooth poles in the water - the blackies often graze on the growth on them & you can even see their teeth marks!!

I don't even know if there ARE blackies in Tassie!! I know that some Victorians reckon you can't get many once you are 100k south of the NSW border ........ so let me know how you go!!

Good luck

Roberta

I've been doing a bit of research and they are definitely netted, reported by snorklers and have been caught by baitfisher and on soft plastics.

But they seem not to be a targeted species here at all.

I'd love to get into a basically untouched fishery of blackfish.

• 3 weeks later...

....t weed or cabbage for catching blackfish what is this and were would I get it....

Mate - go back & read the information in the Tips on page 1 - also look at Korg2000BC just above your post! Weed grows in many places - especially slow flowing waterways & creeks/lakes. Cabbage grows on rocks around the mouths of estuaries & Breakwalls (only gather at low tide.)

Depending on where . you live, a Raider may well offer to take you out & show you how to catch if you put up a 'want to learn blackfishing post' somewhere!!

..But they seem not to be a targeted species here at all. I'd love to get into a basically untouched fishery of blackfish......

Lucky you!! Have you actually seen any blackies down there yet? They love hanging round places like that pole! I was in Hobart for a week (back yesterday) for a wedding! Magic place. Only saw ONE bream tho! Didn't catch any! wacko.gif

cheers

Roberta

....Does anybody know if there are any blackfish down round shoalhaven...

No reason why not! I know you can catch big ones off those flat ledges at Gerringong - you just have to be VERY careful fishing there, due to the swells. The cabbage is usually right there at your feet! Just be VERY aware of the tide! If no-one else is fishing, take a hint! Wear an inflatable life vest in case you go in!wacko.gif

Roberta

....Does anybody know if there are any blackfish down round shoalhaven...

No reason why not! I know you can catch big ones off those flat ledges at Gerringong - you just have to be VERY careful fishing there, due to the swells. The cabbage is usually right there at your feet! Just be VERY aware of the tide! If no-one else is fishing, take a hint! Wear an inflatable life vest in case you go in!wacko.gif

Roberta

Thanks Roberta ,I'll have a look around gerringong and gerroa

Shoalhaven River, Sussex Inlet, Kiama, Minnamurra River all great fisheries for the luderick, they get alot on squirtworms in your estuary waters but are still partial to the weed, up behind the showground in the Shoalhaven used to be a proven ground as is Greenwell Point otherwise off the rocks they are taken more commonly on weed and cabbage. Good luck with it

Shoalhaven River, Sussex Inlet, Kiama, Minnamurra River all great fisheries for the luderick, they get alot on squirtworms in your estuary waters but are still partial to the weed, up behind the showground in the Shoalhaven used to be a proven ground as is Greenwell Point otherwise off the rocks they are taken more commonly on weed and cabbage. Good luck with it

Thanks LA ,I've never done any sort of serious fishing other than chuck a line in with a prawn on the hook and hope something eats it and more by luck than anything else I caught 2 bream last year at winding bridge 35 and 34inches long I suppose this is what hooked me in a bit more but I haven't had any luck since.

• 1 month later...

Just joined this site yesterday and loving it. I have been chasing blackfish for around 15 years now in newcastle and have to say this is a great thread with plenty of great information. Roberta my hats off to you for your write up and also the other fisho's that have added information on float building and fishing tips. I am at the moment trying to get my beach fishing partner into chasing blackfish but i dont think he has the patience ha ha ha.

I have always been from the school of fishing the lightest tackle you can get away with, but after this i may change my main line to a heavier pound and give that a try. I always fish the rocks so most often loose 1 float a session, with the heavier main line i will avoid this.

What main line do you think is best and what brand do you like??

Great work here guys and even a long time blacky chaser has learnt some things from this thread.

Edited by anfbogan

• 5 months later...

This is such a great post! I've read with such interest that I couldn't stop myself from giving em a go. They are a really beautiful looking fish. But I have a couple of questions particularly for those who fish Nelson Bay breakwall.

Now I don't have all the blackie gear but I just wanted to see if; A) I could catch any with what I already own and B) see if I would enjoy this style of fishing.

So today I had my first go at Blackfishing this afternoon but no luck. As mentioned I was fishing Nelson Bay breakwall and on the marina side. I fished both sides of low tide. How deep should I set my bait? I think I had my float well-weighted so that part I am happy with. The rig used was very similar to Roberta's attachment in this post (rig with 2 hooks).

I sourced my weed from Stockton as attached? Would you expect that I would get bites on this type of weed?

I know this type of fishing is seen a bit of a black art (ha ha), but I was disappointed not to get a single down.

What was promising though was the guy walking past with a half dozen in the bucket. I tried to start up a chat but the guy might have been keen to home and eat em as opposed to chatting to a stranger! Dont blame him really...

post-23818-081210100 1345377209_thumb.jpg

... I tried to start up a chat but the guy might have been keen to home and eat em as opposed to chatting to a stranger! Dont blame him really.......

074.gif074.gif Sorry Fisherman666 ....... that is largely why I put the post up in the beginning - I virtually had to teach myself up here, as the 'old fellas' were very tight lipped with tips ..... until after you proved that you could catch them!! wacko.gif THen you couldn't shut them up!!!

That weed looks GORGEOUS!!! It'd catch anything!!

Re fishing depth - if you walk along the wall & spot someone pulling in fish ...... when they pull their rig out to re-bait, try & spot where their 'stopper' knot is? It could be a bit of wool tied onto the main line, or one of those little rubber stoppers ......... failing all else, just ask them & they may tell you the truth!! THe 'length' is taken from the 'stopper knot' to the 'float'. So if they say 10ft, you know there should be 10ft/3.3m between your stopper knot & the bulb of your float.

Going from Craig's post ........ start off with about 3.5m from the stopper to your float (virtually the length of a good blackie rod.) If you don't get bites when others next to are ....... you also could just try different depths until you get a bite - that is what I usually do when sussing out a new spot. On really high tides (like right now) the fish can come in really close, & there may only be less than 1m between your stopper knot & the float. You need to keep adjusting it as the tide changes.

Also, really make sure that the float is well weighted so that only 2 - 4cm of the stem is showing - that way, the slightest bite will make the float 'dip' & you know that you are in the right area & at the right depth.

Any rod/reel (technically) will suit, tho longer ones are better and safer than shorter ones & the more 'bendy' they are, the better too, as they act as a shock absorber, especially when actually putting the fish into the net. They are very acrobatic fish & you never count them as 'yours' until they are cooked & on your plate! They even jump out of the net, so be careful - get or make yourself a long handled net! They make a heap of difference between landing a fish or losing it.

I look forward to reading of your first successful outing!!

cheers

Roberta

Gday Burnsy and Roberta, thanks for your reply. I have a feeling that joining this site was a wise move towards making me a better fisho so cheers.

I have realised what I did wrong. I was fishing too shallow with a plastic stopper that hits on the top runner, therefore my stopper-bottom hook distance was about a rod length (6'6" for me). Next time I will use a stopper knot and find bottom, then come up from there. My other rod is a 12 ft surf rod but its too heavy and stiff for this purpose.

As for the weed I plan to tie my hooks with a uni knot and leave a short tag where I will lay the centre of a length of weed. From there I will twist or plait down to the hook.

Next time I want to place 1 split shot right below the float and one about 20-30cm from the hook.

I have a 6 ft net which is just long enough with my short rod. Just have to be careful when it comes to landing.

Thanks for the tips and the photo. You'll be the first to know when I have success.

GOod on ya, mate. Let me know if you ever head up to Forster - we could hit the wall together! USUALLY we can catch all year - I got my biggest ever (& been busted off by bigger) around Xmas!

Cheers

Roberta

....Do I use a piece of braid or mono for this? Or, is it easier to tie on a piece of wool? If so, what knot is best?...

Personally, I use a bit of wool (I have used really heavy leader material as well ..... it has to be a big enough knot to NOT go THRU the float supports.

Don't ever use a mono 'knot' on mono line - it severely weakens it (heat is generated as you move it up & down the line & abraids it, weakening it.)

I usually just put the wool tag thru the loop twice & REALLY snug it up (whilst wet is better). A single knot comes undone really quickly, after a few tosses. I also have a small bead between the float & the stopper knot, to prevent the knot from going thru the float supports. I also have a bead below the float, to protect the knot to the swivel, too.

I've upgraded my braid on both my yak & rock rod to 20lb braid (I like Powerpro) and have much more faith in it. I've been busted off too easily in the yak with big oyster lease bruisers on what was then my 6lb braid (have used 20lb on my rock rod for years now & it isn't showing any wear.)

cheers

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

• 2 months later...

Thanks LA ,I've never done any sort of serious fishing other than chuck a line in with a prawn on the hook and hope something eats it and more by luck than anything else I caught 2 bream last year at winding bridge 35 and 34inches long I suppose this is what hooked me in a bit more but I haven't had any luck since.

Hi,hi,hi, sounds I am not the only one who used to fish like that :biggrin2: !

I Think also for me it is on the time know to get serious about the "science" of fishing and actually catch something because I do it the right way and I know what I am doing!

Thanks to all who give here so great advise :thumbup: !

Cheers Klaus!