ARTICLE - Best Ever Tips For BLACKIE FISHING by Roberta

arpie

• 3 months later...

Hi TMZ did you find out where the weed lures are being sold in Sydney? I went to my local tackle shop and they didnt have it.

hey guys very very new to blackfishing, wondering where you can buy those weed lures from or weed in sydney, I know you can collect it at lowtide etc, cheers

Hi TMZ did you find out where the weed lures are being sold in Sydney? I went to my local tackle shop and they didnt have it.

+2. I've asked 3 local tackle shops and they don't sell them either!

Cheers scratchie!!!

• 2 months later...

You can buy the dubbing in 3 colours & it isn't that difficult to actually tie them yourselves!! One Pack & you can make hundreds of Weed Flies - check out Luderick-Angler's tips on tying them ... You don't really need a vice either, tho it does help.

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=60629

cheers

Roberta

• 1 month later...

No worries, Pinky - no matter how you catch your blackies - it is still a good catch! You may just get 'by catch' of other fish as well, (mullet, flatties, bream - nothing wrong with them, either) rather than targeting just the blackies.

If fishing near ocean rocks, you would have a very real chance of catching decent Drummer too! :D

Do you use the bread under a float? Some blackie fishos put bread into their burley too!

cheerio

Roberta

...your right i was catching drummer

i guess not 100% blackfish
i still think both fish's are same in my book ....

he, he, Drummer are bigger & way meaner than blackies!! :074: One of the hardest pulling fish I've ever hooked!!

Drummer are one of the best table fish out there, I reckon! Just pan fried in butter & garlic ....... YUM!!

cheerio

Roberta

• 3 months later...

Hey Roberta,

Thanks for all the great information provided on blackfishing, I am sure it is a big help for those wanting to take up the 'dark art' of blackfishing. I learnt to blackfish in the old back creek near the footbridge at South West Rocks in the late 60's [all changed now]. I was lucky to have a few older 'mentors' around to offer their expertise - it was no trouble to them. I think a lot of people who start out blackfishing expect instant results, sometimes that happens but I find a lot of people lack the patience required - keep watching the experts/practice and ask questions. Most of us old timers love to share info and help set up rigs etc for newcomers.

To satisfy my curiosity could you answer a couple of questions on your choice of gear.

1. What mainline do you use ? - I use use YGK Nitlon Top Water which I have used for the past 15 years without any trouble, no need to use vaseline/silicon etc. You just need to trim off a little line after a few heavy sessions which everyone should do. Quite a few of my fishing partners have been 'converted' to use this line - not cheap @ $25 for 100m. Run mainline at 14lb trough float with adjustable stopper, then a short length of 12lb line with a running weight, then finish with 8lb Vanish as leader. My logic is if you get snagged/hit a stingray/pelican etc the 8lb line breaks and you do not lose all your pre-weighted float rig etc.
  2. I use size 8/10 Mustad Sneck Ultrapoint hooks [green] - what's your preference ?
  3. What do you use as a stopper. I used to use fine cotton as a stopper but sometimes found if you tied it too tight and wanted to move it it would stretch the line. I have been using a range of rubber stoppers, some work better than others [some slip - you have to keep on eye on your depth particularly if you are getting plenty of action]
  4. I have two Wilson Livefibre 10'6" rods which are just brilliant. I only fish estuary locations, no rock fishing.

Looking forward to upcoming blackfishing season.

Thanks and good fishing Roberta from 'Rut'

G'Day, Rut

I was up at SWR back creek just 10 days ago, but wasn;t fishing much as my husband was doing the triathlon there. There is incredible flow at the foot bridge there - I've tried in the past to catch blackies there, with limited success ...... I'll try harder next time! ;)

Yes, it usually takes a little while to 'work it out' but if you have an experienced mentor - it will cut months off your 'learning experience'!

Yes - patience, patience & patience are the 3 main requirements needed for blackie fishing ;)

To satisfy my curiosity could you answer a couple of questions on your choice of gear.

1. What mainline do you use ? - I use use YGK Nitlon Top Water which I have used for the past 15 years without any trouble, no need to use vaseline/silicon etc. You just need to trim off a little line after a few heavy sessions which everyone should do. Quite a few of my fishing partners have been 'converted' to use this line - not cheap @ $25 for 100m. Run mainline at 14lb trough float with adjustable stopper, then a short length of 12lb line with a running weight, then finish with 8lb Vanish as leader. My logic is if you get snagged/hit a stingray/pelican etc the 8lb line breaks and you do not lose all your pre-weighted float rig etc
  2. Personally, I use 20lb Powerpro braid for the Breakwall with about 20lb+ 'sinker' line and then the leader is about 10lb ......I use much less breaking strains when fishing from the yak - but have been busted off by some whopper lease blackies ..... so will upgrade to higher gear soon, I reckon. The braid floats & makes it much easier to see & 'mend the line' and prevent big 'bellies' in the line so you are fighting the fish 'directly' once you set the hook after the float has 'dunked' - yet the leader is light enough to break if you get an 'unstoppable' rather than losing your float & have to re-rig!

I use size 8/10 Mustad Sneck Ultrapoint hooks [green] - what's your preference ?

I don't mind what hooks I use, so long as they are small enough to fit their somewhat 'small mouths' - so size 8 to 10 in general ...... I've even used Suicide hooks - they really just need to be VERY SHARP as they have tough bony mouths. So long as there is no 'kirb/bend' in the hook .... most styles are suitable (tho I wouldn't use long shank hooks.)

What do you use as a stopper. I used to use fine cotton as a stopper but sometimes found if you tied it too tight and wanted to move it it would stretch the line. I have been using a range of rubber stoppers, some work better than others [some slip - you have to keep on eye on your depth particularly if you are getting plenty of action]

1. I have used commercially prepared rubber stoppers, but I think they are less reliable now than they used to be - I now use wool, tied to the main line with a double uni knot & trimmed so it goes thru the runners nicely. It really 'grabs' well when you do the 'double knot' and snug it up with some spit! I would NEVER use thicker mono line tied onto a mono line as a stopper - as the friction will weaken the main mono line & it will surely bust under pressure. Yes, you need to keep an eye on 'where' the stopper is (relative to the runners on your rod when wound fully in) so that IF the stopper has moved you know you need to readjust the depth of the stopper before casting again.
  2. I have two Wilson Livefibre 10'6" rods which are just brilliant. I only fish estuary locations, no rock fishing.

I've never tried a Wilson Livefibre rod yet, but have no doubt I will, one day, as they are considered superlative rods! ;) I have a few blackie rods that I use off the Breakwall that were custom built for someone that I was lucky enough to come across in a local 2nd Hand shop ..... I have a Jarvis Walker Black Queen that I use in my kayak. I tend not to fish the rocks these days, too.

Looking forward to upcoming blackfishing season.

We are so lucky here in Forster - we can fish for Blackies all year round!! :D I must get back into it more often! ;)

cheers & hope you are catching heaps!

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

• 3 months later...

Hi Roberta,

Thanks for posting this great article. I thoroughly enjoyed the read.

I bought myself a 15' telescopic rod and matched it up to a small bait caster spooled with braid. Picked up a medium sized "blackfish float", split shot and a small hook which was lying around in the bottom of my fishing bag and went for a hike to South Maroubra. First cast produced my first fish :)

post-18562-0-56659900-1402004122_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Nick

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

hi fellow blackfishers I'm moving to the entrance soon can anyone tell me where I can find some blackfish weed please

The tackle shops are selling it pretty good and cheap enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Couple of tips.

To get your depth, i remember seeing in the old days, a little brass weight with an eye and a cork bottom. you put your hook (a snelled sneck only used in those days by the purists) through the eye and then the point into the soft cork bottom, this would be enough to sink your float and to see exactly the depth of water. it was then easily removed. You can easliy make one out of sinker with some line looped through it and then a half hitch on your hook.

Also folded small pieces of sheet lead was used as your line sat better and the big advantage was you can remove pieces and adjust without damaging your line unlike split shot.

If you are going to use line, thread, wool or so as a stopper knot, use a "uni knot" as it slides and sits on the line better than traditional float stopper knots

Forgot to add, if you get a ice cream container lid or other similar thin flat plastic, with scissors cut out small circle shapes and then with a needle put a hole in the middle, this goes on your line above your float (to stop your stopper knot going through the eye of your float)

Hey guys a little trick i learnt if you hold your Blackfish upside down,it will not wiggle around it stays still cause it confuses its air bladder or something like that,i always seem to get spiked thats why i do this. :secret:

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi,

I normally fish a rod length deep,if you start catching those pesky cod your too deep.

If im not getting anything I will adjust my rig up to fish less depth but I wont fish less than a meter deep.

Start deep then work your way up every say half hour.

Good luck !

Edited by DMG
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • mrsswordfisherman changed the title to ARTICLE - Best Ever Tips For Blackie Fishing by Roberta
  • 2 months later...

Hi all Blackfish fishers! been 6 months since a post here but still relevant.. I'm considering getting a blackfish rod setup, does anyone use a baitrunner style reel rather than a centre pin and do they work as well? Shimano start in 4000 size, not sure if too big or if suitable but as I could also use it for other types of fishing it's appealing.. Cheers!

• 4 months later...

I really enjoyed reading this thread a few days back and I’ve been giving it some thought and just had to post.

This form of fishing is quite often taken up as the first type of rock fishing a lot of people will do. I don’t recommend that at all

The thing with blackfishing off the rocks is that you’re there generally on a high tide, standing on a 'green ledge', staring at a float

Without situational awareness, that only comes from solid guidance and personal experience this is one of the most dangerous forms of rockfishing, so easy to get caught out by a wave because of the a amount of time spent looking at or for the float

Pussy footing for them, which has been explained in this thread, is a safer option to the float because you don’t need have your eyes fixated to the bobbing red stick but it’s obviously a tricker skill to master

Anyway, not real sure where I’m going with this apart from saying any novice should really stick to low tide until they gain at least some experience