Bow Mounted Sounder Installation?

Byron

Hi all,

For those that run bow mounted sounders, I am keen to understand how to go about installing sounders this way. My understanding was that the transducer is attached to the base of the leccy??

Any details would be greatly appreciated, as well as any tips on what problems I should be aware of and hopefully avoid.

FYI, Minn Kota 55lb Riptide on quick release bracket, and currently have a Lowrance X51, to be supplemented by a Matrix 37 as the main unit at the helm.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Byron

I have seen some brackets that are specifically made to attach to the Leccy. You can get them as an option through Minn Kotta!

i012684sq01psd.jpg

I don't think it would be a hazzard for bumping stuff as it is mounted in line with the skeg!

By the way, the pic is of the Cabelas site!

Here's how I did it mate - and I'm running almost the same setup you are except I've got a Matrix 35 not a 37

The transducer bracket from the X-51 got a little panel beating to curve it round the bottom of the Minn-Kota, I then use a big stainless hose clamp from BIAS with a strip of rubber from Clarks to attach it:

post-85-1102499707_thumb.jpg

I then cable tied the transducer cable to the curly Minn Kota control cable - plenty of cable :1Lighten:

In hindsight, I would've run the cable down through the center of the curly Minn-Kota cable........... it's amazing what you find out when you read the sounder instruction manual :1tongue:

I'll do it when I get around to it...........

post-85-1102500000_thumb.jpg

I then run the cable through a hole I cut in the live well, you can't see the hole but you can sort of follow the cable. I also had to cut the access port in you can see to get under the deck and install the Q.R. bracket for the Kota. The port also helped heaps getting the battery cable and sounder power up to the front deck.

FYI my Kota is only held on by three bolts. I couldn't get the mount angle I wanted and get all four in (not to mention reaching them), while I'm at it getting the third bolt in was a pain, my arms weren't skinny enough and I lost some bark:

post-85-1102500302_thumb.jpg

Top stuff Dave!!

This is perfect mate and I will probably give you a call to discuss further when I am set to start the installation exercise.

I should have thought to call you in the first place.

Hope all is well and see you soon mate.

Byron

MK make a bow mount with a transducer in the bottom of the leg. Not sure if they are available in Oz though.

Dave - Just out of curiosity do you have any problms with the bow mount sounder. I have got an x47 mounted on my MK and I have a few interferance problems from time to time. mmainly when steering the MK.

Any one else have any problems??

Im just in the process or mooving my transducer from the rear of the boat and mounting it on the MK.

Tonight ill be all done.

Because i have to remove my MK every time i put the boat away i needed an easy way of disconnecting the transducer cable. To solve this i ordered a transducer EXTENSION cable the shortest was 10FT, because the hummingbirds work on a quick release mount the only way to unplug the transducer means unscrewing the quick release mount etc etc

So the new extension lead is pluged into the mount and all i have on the deck is 1 cable to plug the MK transducer in. very easy really ill get some photos for you tonight when its all finished byron.

Do you want any other photos of something in the Poly Byron now that you have got me in the mood of taking happy snaps ???? :1clap:

Stevo

RE: Sounder interferance

When using a sounder powered by the leccy's deep cycle battery i get MAJOR interferance problems ... as in everytime i steer with the leccy (with speed) the sounder cuts out? Does this happen to anyone else?

I am assuming that the use of the leccy in bursts to steer requires a surge of extra battery juice thus disrupting the batteries output temporarily which causes the sounder to cut out?

The battery i run is a brand new trojan 130amp with duel terminals, the sounder works fine when on a dedicated battery ...

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

When I was in the car radio game, we used to fit a suppresor or choke to the power input of the radio. The interference was generally coming from the ignition system from the car, and a choke normally fixed most problems. Would that work on a boat????

MK make a bow mount with a transducer in the bottom of the leg. Not sure if they are available in Oz though.

Dave - Just out of curiosity do you have any problms with the bow mount sounder. I have got an x47 mounted on my MK and I have a few interferance problems from time to time. mmainly when steering the MK.

Any one else have any problems??

22831[/snapback]

Howdy Jethro (and 1337) :biggrin2:

I have no interference problems at all, but I do run the sounder from a completely seperate battery to the M.K.

I've been told more than once that connecting a sounder and electric outboard to the same battery is bad news for sounders, sometimes causing irreversible damage - I think this happened to Donfish???

My battery for the electric is stand alone and not connected to the alternator (supposedly not a 'pure' enough source of power and could cause deep cycle battery damage).

And Byron give me a yell anytime :1clap:

Cheers,

Finished the bowmount transducer install last night here are some picutres:

This is of the transducer mounted to the MK, its the original transducer, some slight mods with a file so the stainless hose clamp would get a good grip.

This is pic of the cable that is cable tied to the shaft and routed through the coil on the MK.

Last pic is of the Transducer Ext cable i installed, it just leaves this plug to disconnect when i have to take the MK off the boat at the end of the day.

Now i can see what is under the boat at my feet :biggrin2: I used to get some interference prior when the transducer was at the rear of the boat, but the transducer cables were close the MK power cables so it might of had something to do with it.

Stevo