Botany On Sunday

Aero

Rodholder and I Decided to See if the kings had ventured into the bay on sunday as well as get a feed of squid for the olds and luckily managed to do both, Unfortunatley they wernt quite in the bay just yet..

We basically spent the morning around the heads throwing large Owner Tango Dancer's around the

washes while drifting squid jigs out the back.

We found the some little kings scattered around the headlands but they'd only hit the topwater's when paused, probably the fact the water is so cold made them a little lethargic. We kept a couple each for the table, as the new size limits that would be in place less than 12 hours later would have halved the catch thanks to the increased size limit.

Even the squid were few and far between, but the ones that came to the party were worth the effort.

As the wind picked up the harder it became to fish up the front and we retreated back to the boat ramp. The bay still seems pretty lifeless, unless you count the over excited police boats zooming around for this APEC crap.

post-192-1188901868_thumb.jpg

We basically spent the morning around the heads throwing large Owner Tango Dancer's around the

washes while drifting squid jigs out the back.

We found the some little kings scattered around the headlands but they'd only hit the topwater's when paused, probably the fact the water is so cold made them a little lethargic.

Chris, how did you fish the Tango Dancers? Did you walk the dog or use them like a slider with big rips?

Also, were the conditions pretty flat? I hear they're especially deadly when it's really calm and clear.

cheers,

dave

David,

It wasnt as flat as we would have liked so the slower walk the dog style didnt seem to get much interest. Once I started ripping them and giving them a slightly longer pause they switched on. You just needed to have an agressive start to the retrieve, then slow it down a little.

Chris

David,

It wasnt as flat as we would have liked so the slower walk the dog style didnt seem to get much interest. Once I started ripping them and giving them a slightly longer pause they switched on. You just needed to have an agressive start to the retrieve, then slow it down a little.

Chris

Good info mate, just bought one of those the other day after hearing all the hype.

Great work!!!

Big Squid like that just make my mouth water.

IFS

David,

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for the info, mate. Great stuff!

cheers,

Dave

Just curious mate what size and colour pattern tangos where you using????

Id love to catch a kingie on a hardbody lure but so far everything from poppers to xraps has failed me!!!!

Edited by fishlexic

Just curious mate what size and colour pattern tangos where you using????

Id love to catch a kingie on a hardbody lure but so far everything from poppers to xraps has failed me!!!!

I try to reduce tailor and salmon bycatch by using larger lures. Tango Dancer D115's and Rapala X-walk 130's are the go normally. Colours dont seem to bother me, but green and natural colours seem to be tied on more often than not.

You basically have to fish where the fish are, sounders, bait and structure are all taken into account before i even consider tying on a surface lure. Otherwise you'll be flogging the water to death for very little result.

Chris

Edited by Aero

I try to reduce tailor and salmon bycatch by using larger lures. Tango Dancer D115's and Rapala X-walk 130's are the go normally. Colours dont seem to bother me, but green and natural colours seem to be tied on more often than not.

You basically have to fish where the fish are, sounders, bait and structure are all taken into account before i even consider tying on a surface lure. Otherwise you'll be flogging the water to death for very little result.

Chris

Cheers mate!!!!

I'm throwing those lures around on 10lb braid and 20lb leader.

Those kings arent anything special size wise, and you could knock them over with alot less that what I'm using. I'll fish lighter or heavier depending on where abouts I have to fish for them.

Chris

I'm throwing those lures around on 10lb braid and 20lb leader.

Those kings arent anything special size wise, and you could knock them over with alot less that what I'm using. I'll fish lighter or heavier depending on where abouts I have to fish for them.

Chris

What depth were you fishing in to be going that light?

Was the drag setting at 1/3 the test?

IFS

Light? I consider that pretty heavy for that class of fish.

The depth those fish were taken in was probably between 12 and 15 metres.

Drag setting varies depending on what structure I'm fishing but usually between 50-70% of the the Line class I'm using. Doesnt leave much room for error, but I seem to get more fish to the boat. That may not work for everyone.

Chris