Anyone Eat Pike?

Davemmm

For some vague reason I usually throw pike back but during a quick session this morning I had one swallow a lure that far it was unsaveable.

Question are they an edible table fish or does it go through the blender for bream berley?

Dave

For some vague reason I usually throw pike back but during a quick session this morning I had one swallow a lure that far it was unsaveable.

Question are they an edible table fish or does it go through the blender for bream berley?

Dave

Dave as to your considering or even attempting to eat pike, I agree with your views on cooking up eels when you said to Pete nothing will make eels edible when he was quoting another eel recipe that only wastes good tomato sauce.

Let me say, for pete's sake - not the same pete - nothing will make pike edible either.

Dave, if you ever get hold of a good school of pike like that, keep quite a few for your bait with the guts cut out, showing the flesh and blood and mince some up and add the guts and then only wet sand as the burley mix.

Everything would come in around your lines looking for the rest of the school of pike.

The smell of pike is as good for attracting fish as pillies are but more exotic and tasty for only fish and certain animals not found in Australia as far as i'm concerned. :074:

The strong smell of pike burley can ony bring in good fish to chase the small bream pests away, that are attracted particularly by the smell of the guts and hopefully not as much by the taste of my bait.

Cheers Dave

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

• 7 years later...

I caught one today and mistook it for whiting.

My mate said I was daft and laughed at me. It had massive teeth and almost took my best hard body lure so glad to know the throw back was not worth it after all