Is This Some Sort Of Trevally?

james7

Question

22 answers to this question

Thanks for your help davemmm, tyrone07, rocky, Luringbream and Blackfish.

I've looked at a few old Raider reports and found that you can get amberjack around Sydney.

They sure fight hard. Pound for pound I'd say they are as tough, or ever tougher than the kingies.

Cheers

I've looked at a few old Raider reports and found that you can get amberjack around Sydney.

They sure fight hard. Pound for pound I'd say they are as tough, or ever tougher than the kingies.

Cheers

I have seen Amberjack,Sampson and Almaco Jacks caught around Sydney. More of a bycatch than a targeted fish and yes the buggers certainly go.

The Sydney Harbour charter operators get a few at certain times.

Edited by Blackfish

Some interesting comments there Raiders, especially about Amberjacks being a good fight.

I was wondering if some of you more experienced fishos could tell me whether which would be the toughest fight (pound for pound) - jewie, kingy, amberjack, YFT, snapper, anything else?

I've never caught any "big fish" but reckon a good bream (pound for pound) gives great value for money.

Cheers

Peter

Some interesting comments there Raiders, especially about Amberjacks being a good fight.

I was wondering if some of you more experienced fishos could tell me whether which would be the toughest fight (pound for pound) - jewie, kingy, amberjack, YFT, snapper, anything else?

I've never caught any "big fish" but reckon a good bream (pound for pound) gives great value for money.

Cheers

Peter

Peter - I think kings are tough bastards, but the sampson that i've encountered seemed tougher. Its hard to weigh them up pound-for-pound - if you pull a good bream out of cover on light gear its just as exciting as a king from the moorings..

If the fish has a good chance to bust you off during the fight & your not sure if you will boat it or not - that is what it is all about...

post-4381-1192751267_thumb.jpg
post-4398-1192698717_thumb.jpg

Hey Nathan L, is that a stripe across his head?

The fins also look a bit different to the amberjack in the top photo.

Where abouts did you catch it?

Maybe it's a different type of amberjack?

Cheers

Peter

Hey Nathan L, is that a stripe across his head?

The fins also look a bit different to the amberjack in the top photo.

Where abouts did you catch it?

Maybe it's a different type of amberjack?

Cheers

Peter

sure is mate

we caught it at the bait grounds. just inside trial bay around the buoys.

come to think of it there's another kind of seriola called an alamco jack. they're pretty rare but its a possibility.

anyway, its definitely one of the seriola species, which one however i cant say definietly

QUOTE(Nathan L @ Oct 19 2007, 06:31 PM)

sure is mate

come to think of it there's another kind of seriola called an alamco jack. they're pretty rare but its a possibility.

I believe the Original fish in this thread is a Amalco Jack also called a HighFin Amberjack.

The other is a ......................

B.F.

Cheers

Peter

I havent caught a big Snapper so i cant comment on how hard they go But between Kings, Amberjacks, YFT,Samsoms and jews i think Samsons go the hardest.....

But there fighting abilities are different...

Kings, Samsons = Fast & Furious fight, over usually within minutes but very intense

YFT = Long Marothon, DOnt give up and make you work hard, very long runs, will test your back

Amberjack = Simalar to kings but not as hard

Jews = a couple of long runs, but then comes up easy, not a great fighter in my opinion, not compared to the ones above anyway

one small kingy is what it is,

i can not and do not see it being an amberjack, i may be wrong, but i am very positive it is what i called it for a small kingy.

there is no way and it is definately not a black trevally.