Telescopic Rod Suggestions Please!

dani!o

it seems to accommodate both of my lifelong interests, cars and fishing, i now need to make some compromises! I'm getting a MR2, which is a sports car with no back seats and the engine is behind the driver... that means the boot is tiny...

so i'm getting a telescopic!!! But, i have no knowledge of these things so i was wondering could you guys please recommend me?? budget?? under 100 for the rod please... i will use it mainly for beach (coogee, maroubra) and estuary (yarra, kurnell), and occasionally for rock (merc) fishing... so what would that be? 8kg? im not too sure, but ya please let me know what telescopics you would recommend... preferably somethign long too so i can cast to them gutters...

also for reel - another 100 bucks or so - for the same type of fishing as above, could you guys also recommend a good reel for me?

anywya thanks heaps!! im looking forward to the new rod haha

I understand your circumstances, but really teloscopic rods are not the way to go. They are really bad. I really dont think a two piece rod would be a problem in your MR2. Just sit it base down on the passenger floor and even just hang the small portion out a crack in thw window.

Hi Danilo

I always have a telescopic 10-12ft with me when travelling in our campervan - currently I have a 10ft Shimano (with a Daiwa 2500 reel spooled with 20lb tuffline & 10lb mono trace.) I wouldn't think you would want a much bigger reel. They are easy to store & will handle most fishing scenarios, except lifting a really heavy fish up the rocks! I have caught tailor from the rocks here & landed them, but not a salmon (avge size about 3kg up here!) The telescopic rods usually have a very sensitive tip & fairly strong in the butt area. Sometimes, I use a thin bit of bungy to 'shorten' the rod (tied to the reel seat & with a hook ... not a fishing hook ... on it, it goes around the first or 2nd runner & back to the reel seat) if you are fishing smaller water - it just prevents it from 'opening up' when you are fishing when you want a short rod. Then I flick squidgies/sps around for flatties.

You should rinse them off well after each trip, wipe them down & make sure they dry out - even unscrew the bottom of the handle & make sure the water drains out. Eventually the runners (or more precisely the bits attached to the rod) do tend to rust, but a quality rod should last longer than cheapies. They are really light & responsive & work as a great blackfish rod, too!

Wattos, Gofish Pete or Fishfinder Tony should be able to talk you thru the options - I previoulsy had a very nice 12ft beach rod (also with a 2500 Daiwa reel with braid) that I purchased at Coffs down near the jetty that would cast a country mile - but some lowlife stole it from my car a couple of years ago, hence my replacement Shimano. From memory, my Shimano (with reel) cost about $70 all up.

Good luck, hope you find one that suits your requirements! The car sounds fantastic, too!!

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Hi Danilo,

Silstar make a good range of budget priced telescopic rods.The beach models are in the 10' to 12' range and suitable to most medium beach fishing tasks.

IMHO not as good as a one or two piece rod -- but for occasional fishing, when transport is a problem, still a good way to go.

The 10' model I've got is graphite composite mesh with a solid glass tip. It casts lures and bait/ sinker combinations to 3 ozs very well.

There are heaps of threadline reels available in your price range. For beach fishing using mono line to 8 kg I'd go for a 6000 size. You could use a smaller reel if you decide to use braid.

If you're only going to fish occasionally, you don't need an expensive model. But if you plan to spin metal lures, look for a reel with a gear ratio of at least 6 to 1.

Basic models are offered by Okuma, Silstar, Daiwa, Shimano, Penn, Shakespeare and others. Any of these might suit. It's really a matter of which feels best. Just make sure the reel matches up to, and feels good on, the rod you choose to use.

Regards,

Bob

Edited by kenmare

this maybe useless to you but if you're ever tempted, Nitro makes 3 piece surf rods. thats about 1.2m/section. i'm sure it'll fit into the footwell. or get the targa version so you can have it sticking out

haha hey hottyscotty ya i thought about targa but i think i would get pulled over by the cops eh... and i certainly dont want to spoil my fishing with some 5-0 SS vs SW20 chase... also, i go fishing with my brother all the time so having it in the passenger seat isnt really an option because he has a couple of rods etc too... anyway thanks for that suggestion dude!!!

Hi Danilo,

Silstar make a good range of budget priced telescopic rods.The beach models are in the 10' to 12' range and suitable to most medium beach fishing tasks.

IMHO not as good as a one or two piece rod -- but for occasional fishing, when transport is a problem, still a good way to go.

The 10' model I've got is graphite composite mesh with a solid glass tip. It casts lures and bait/ sinker combinations to 3 ozs very well.

There are heaps of threadline reels available in your price range. For beach fishing using mono line to 8 kg I'd go for a 6000 size. You could use a smaller reel if you decide to use braid.

If you're only going to fish occasionally, you don't need an expensive model. But if you plan to spin metal lures, look for a reel with a gear ratio of at least 6 to 1.

Basic models are offered by Okuma, Silstar, Daiwa, Shimano, Penn, Shakespeare and others. Any of these might suit. It's really a matter of which feels best. Just make sure the reel matches up to, and feels good on, the rod you choose to use.

Regards,

Bob

hey there kenmare thanks heaps for the advice... wanted to ask though, i certainly fish more than occassionally, and if i buy a telescopic i would certainly want it to last a few centuries or so (more like a few years)... also, because i like beach fishing, perhaps 3oz is a bti too light with the sinkers that are needed to hold the bottom?? if you have any specific recommendations id like to hear them eh... with the reel i dont mind spending a bit extra because the crap ones are just ridiculous the line gets caught under the bail arm, in between the groove and the rubber washer.. its like wtf.... oh but with the reel though i probably wont be spinning metal lures... i usually jsut chuck in a sinker at the beach or a float at the rocks... anyway, please keep recommending!! thanks again!

Hi Danilo

I always have a telescopic 10-12ft with me when travelling in our campervan - currently I have a 10ft Shimano (with a Daiwa 2500 reel spooled with 20lb tuffline & 10lb mono trace.) I wouldn't think you would want a much bigger reel. They are easy to store & will handle most fishing scenarios, except lifting a really heavy fish up the rocks! I have caught tailor from the rocks here & landed them, but not a salmon (avge size about 3kg up here!) The telescopic rods usually have a very sensitive tip & fairly strong in the butt area. Sometimes, I use a thin bit of bungy to 'shorten' the rod (tied to the reel seat & with a hook ... not a fishing hook ... on it, it goes around the first or 2nd runner & back to the reel seat) if you are fishing smaller water - it just prevents it from 'opening up' when you are fishing when you want a short rod. Then I flick squidgies/sps around for flatties.

You should rinse them off well after each trip, wipe them down & make sure they dry out - even unscrew the bottom of the handle & make sure the water drains out. Eventually the runners (or more precisely the bits attached to the rod) do tend to rust, but a quality rod should last longer than cheapies. They are really light & responsive & work as a great blackfish rod, too!

Wattos, Gofish Pete or Fishfinder Tony should be able to talk you thru the options - I previoulsy had a very nice 12ft beach rod (also with a 2500 Daiwa reel with braid) that I purchased at Coffs down near the jetty that would cast a country mile - but some lowlife stole it from my car a couple of years ago, hence my replacement Shimano. From memory, my Shimano (with reel) cost about $70 all up.

Good luck, hope you find one that suits your requirements! The car sounds fantastic, too!!

Roberta

hey roberta!! great idea on shortening the rod, itll make it multipurpose eh!!

do you have the model name on your telescopic and reel?? although maybe 10 foot is a little short, i was thinking more 11 or 12.... i want to be able to cast far enough from the beach to CATCH MAHIMAHI.... haha on another note though, i was once at the merc and drifted my float out so far some guy in a boat almost ran over my float... i was thinking if that gets caught in the propeller we're all goign to have a fun day... also wanted to ask, how much should i spend if i want to rod that will be able to lift those big 2-3kg salmon off the rocks??? otherwise ill be dropping stuff all day at the rocks and i dont want that to happen!!!

thanks roberta!!

Hey dude if you can afford to buy an mr2, see if you can stretch the budget a little more and buy a dedicated multi piece travel rod, several are available from loomis shimano etc, you will get increased life from the rod and will be able to hoist fish from high spots as well. cheers troutboy :1fishing1:

Hi Danilo

I've been caught by a speed boat before today - a couple of times!! Especially likely if you are using braid, as it either floats or sits much higher in the water & will hit the motor every time!! The mono usually sinks & you have a better chance of the motor missing the submerged line! If you think of the biggest fish you have ever had on, peeling line off at a rate of knots, double it! Usually the boat spools you in a matter of seconds & hang on tight until the line breaks! Don't think it would do his engine any good, tho!

I don't think there would be many telescopic rods that would handle weights in excess of 3oz!! Talk to the experts (the guys that own the shops!) That Nitro 3 piece on sounds a better idea if you want to throw that much lead around. Trout rods have been coming in 3 pieces for years now & don't lose their 'fine touch' so would think a 3 piece beach rod could be the way to go?? Check out this thread - may help your decision :

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.ph...c=24282&hl=

If you'll be pulling big fish up the rocks, the reel is all important too!! Just make sure you describe all your planned activities to 'those in the know'! It is important that the rod & reel be properly matched & balanced. You'd need to do the drag up heaps to pull a big fish up the rocks, then let it off before casting out again. I made that mistake once, when I hooked a tuna off the rocks of Seven Mile - I'd previously pulled up a big tailor then hooked this tuna! All over in 2 seconds! Rod bent in half & TWANG - Busted off! If I'd released the drag, I could have played it for a bit - God knows there was no chance of bringing that up the rocks!

Let me know what the experts suggest??

Cheers

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Hi Danilo,

It's important you decide what you will mostly be using the outfit for: species, fishing location, angling method ... "General purpose" outfits really don't exist, except as a tackle marketing concept. Decide exactly what you need, then buy that.

I agree with Roberta that if you intend to "heft" more than three ounces, then most telescopic rods probably won't stand-up to it. That's really the domain of the one-piece beach rod, or very well built multi-piece rod. Of course, you really need to ask whether it's better to anchor the bait on the bottom in the first place. IMHO, if conditions permit, far better that the bait drift around naturally.

Fishing unweighted or lightly weighted baits is best done with a non-geared Alvey. Alvey reels are less popular now, but in the 60s and 70s, huge hauls of tailer and other species were made using Alvey reels to fish unweighted baits.

Similarly, if you intend to winch fish up cliffs, forget about threadline reels, or any geared reel for that matter. Only the larger Alvey reels are up to that job.

And IMHO overhead reels (multipliers) are much better than threadline reels for casting heavy lures and sinker/bait combinations, provided you have the necessary skill. Most people don't -- hence the popularity of the threadline reel.

The truth of the matter is that threadline reels do most jobs required, but few very well.

As you can no doubt tell, I'm not a fan of threadline reels, other than for very light lure and bait fishing. Although I have to confess to owning several, both currently and in the past. Even landed several large kingfish on a Mitchell 499 many, many years ago, before I switched to a Seascape for high speed spinning.

The last threadline I bought was an Okuma EPIX EFS 60 -- a nice well-built reel, with very fast retrieve, and good value, as it comes with a spare metal spool. Perfect for beach casting lures to 1 oz -- what I use it for -- but not really suitable for heavy beach or rock fishing tasks.

So my suggestion is to think hard about the uses to which you will put the rod and reel -- and recognize that there will always have to be trade-off and compromise. Ask yourself whether you really need to cast weights heavier than 3 ozs -- or if you might have more success and fishing pleasure by casting less weight.

You might then find that the Silstar telescopic beach rod I recommended, if matched to an Okuma EPIX EFS reel, of an appropriate size for the mono or braid line you will be using, will actually cover most of your fishing needs.

Regards,

Bob

Edited by kenmare

if you want to lift fish then run a leader and trace them...i spin with my little 7 ft dropshot 6-10 kg off breakwalls and can lift salmon of that size without a problem....anything much bigger and we grab the trace or gaff em..... dead lifting fish is a recipe for disaster ...you want to be using the wash to strand your fish on high ground....as for telescopic rods theres too much to go wrong on them the beach is a harsh environment... 2 piece is the option

buy another car maybe :1prop:

as for the okuma epix i bought the 80 model and it has been a solid little workhorse.... smooth and it pulls fair drag, i thought with a lifetime warranty whats the risk...and i've been quite happy...

hey everyone thanks heaps for the replies!!

since posting, i have thought about everyones advice, and reckon that i will use this telescopic mainly for table fish... so that ranges from the whiting, bream, flathead, with the heaviest being the tailor and salmon... i will probably do a majority of beach and wharf fishing, with the occassional rock fishing but then again if the tele cant handle rock fishing i still do have my old rod so can just use that...

also, ya i guess a 3 ounce sinker should be enough for the beach... so for the time being i will just use the tele for this kinda fishing...

went to the local tackle shop, got a bit of a look at a few things - i was recommended the daiwa carbon telescopic which stands at 2.7m or 3, i think, and its fairly stiff... im just afraid ill miss them bites if is too stiff, or that the rod will break if the top sections dont bend much.... also recommended a rovex silun reel (which is jarvis walker btw), its the medium sized one so prolly the 5000 or 6000, has 5 corrosion resistant ball bearings... anyone have any thoughts on either the rod or the reel? i cant seem to find much info on the net..

btw troutboy, mr2 sw20's are not expensive cars, im looking at one now for 8500... so ya... and its taken me 5 years to save that money from part time work while studying... so yeah... reason im spending more on the car than on fishing stuff is because fishign stuff is purely recreational... cant use it for too much else... guess you could use the long rod to reach over and tap the neighbors window and tell him to TURN THE MUSIC DOWN haha but car i use for everything, not only fishing but also shopping, picking up chics, going to see friends, picking up more chics, etc....

hmmm i really do like the daiwa carbon rod and rovex silun reel i have been recommended with, but thats 100 per peice which is a little out of the price range i can afford... but ya, anyone have any thoughts please let me know

thanks!

hey everyone thanks heaps for the replies!!

since posting, i have thought about everyones advice, and reckon that i will use this telescopic mainly for table fish... so that ranges from the whiting, bream, flathead, with the heaviest being the tailor and salmon... i will probably do a majority of beach and wharf fishing, with the occassional rock fishing but then again if the tele cant handle rock fishing i still do have my old rod so can just use that...

also, ya i guess a 3 ounce sinker should be enough for the beach... so for the time being i will just use the tele for this kinda fishing...

went to the local tackle shop, got a bit of a look at a few things - i was recommended the daiwa carbon telescopic which stands at 2.7m or 3, i think, and its fairly stiff... im just afraid ill miss them bites if is too stiff, or that the rod will break if the top sections dont bend much.... also recommended a rovex silun reel (which is jarvis walker btw), its the medium sized one so prolly the 5000 or 6000, has 5 corrosion resistant ball bearings... anyone have any thoughts on either the rod or the reel? i cant seem to find much info on the net..

btw troutboy, mr2 sw20's are not expensive cars, im looking at one now for 8500... so ya... and its taken me 5 years to save that money from part time work while studying... so yeah... reason im spending more on the car than on fishing stuff is because fishign stuff is purely recreational... cant use it for too much else... guess you could use the long rod to reach over and tap the neighbors window and tell him to TURN THE MUSIC DOWN haha but car i use for everything, not only fishing but also shopping, picking up chics, going to see friends, picking up more chics, etc....

hmmm i really do like the daiwa carbon rod and rovex silun reel i have been recommended with, but thats 100 per peice which is a little out of the price range i can afford... but ya, anyone have any thoughts please let me know

thanks!

Hi Danilo,

Glad your making some progress in your rod and reel search.

Remember, like many things in life, in fishing less can be more. Using the lightest line and least weight that conditions will allow usually results in more and better fish being caught.

Don't be concerned by tip stiffness-- a stiffer tip actually aids in bite detection. Think about it. And a Daiwa rod is unlikely to break during normal fishing. Most rod breakages are due to misuse caused by carelessness or stupidity. Jarvis Walker are one of Australia's largest and oldest tackle importers and distributers. They import the highly regarded Penn range of rods and reels as well as their own brands.

Just ensure the line and casting weight ratings (usually indicated on modern rods) are suitable for the fishing tasks and the rod balances well with the reel.

As for how much to pay, keep things in perspective.

If you like the rod and reel outfit and you enjoy fishing with it, then if you properly care for it (that is, you're a fine tackle user, rather than an abuser) it will serve you well for many years, possibly for the rest of your life. So how much money will you spend on petrol and other car costs getting to fishing spots; on accommodation or camping, food, beer or soft drink when you get there; and on bait, sinkers, fishing line and other items during that period?

The most noteworthy thing about fishing tackle in Australia these days compared to 20, 30 or more years ago is that, due to modern manufacturing methods and cheap Asian labour costs, it is so cheap relative to the cost of living and provides excellent value.

If you like the outfit, buy it.

Regards,

Bob

Edited by kenmare

hey all!! thanks kenmare and everyone for the replies... im still having trouble deciding what to do about the whole rod wont fit in the car situation, but anyway, going ahead with what ive planned now, ive got some more info on the telescopic rod

does anyone know anything or have used a daiwa telescopic carbon samurai carp sacj300t, 3.6m 6 section 6-10kg

i cant find any info on it on the web... hmmm... dunno why that is... also, the 2nd guide comes loose... so it is actually just 1 section between the 3rd guide and 1st, and when retracted the 2nd guide comes loose... does anyone know whether this is normal?? the rod is hugely stiff for a 6-10kg... to compare, my current shimano matchline will bend almost 90 degrees... whereas this one will bend, at most, maybe 15degrees... anyone have any thoughts on that???

anyway thanks ppls!!

hey all!! thanks kenmare and everyone for the replies... im still having trouble deciding what to do about the whole rod wont fit in the car situation, but anyway, going ahead with what ive planned now, ive got some more info on the telescopic rod

does anyone know anything or have used a daiwa telescopic carbon samurai carp sacj300t, 3.6m 6 section 6-10kg

i cant find any info on it on the web... hmmm... dunno why that is... also, the 2nd guide comes loose... so it is actually just 1 section between the 3rd guide and 1st, and when retracted the 2nd guide comes loose... does anyone know whether this is normal?? the rod is hugely stiff for a 6-10kg... to compare, my current shimano matchline will bend almost 90 degrees... whereas this one will bend, at most, maybe 15degrees... anyone have any thoughts on that???

anyway thanks ppls!!

Hi Danilo,

Sounds like you're being sold a very slow action freshwater carp fishing rod, rather than a beach rod. And I'd avoid those non-fixed guides if I were you -- just another thing to go wrong on a tele rod.

Still reckon you should check out the faster taper Silstar Powertip Traverse X range of tele beach rods or similar: much more rugged and suitable for what you have in mind. Match it to a medium (size 50 or 60) Okuma EPIX, or similar, spool with 12 lb or 15lb mono or 15 to 20 lb braid as you prefer, and you have a nice outfit.

As the water warms up between now and Christmas beach fishing should improve. To avoid the chopper tailer, salmon, rays etc try something a little different.

Forget about hefting 3 oz or more leads and whole pilchards. Instead, early morning and evening fish the sandy pockets between the reef at the ends of the beaches using as bait pieces of fish, beach worm, pippy or crab, with a small ball sinker (1/8 oz to 1/2 oz) right on top of a size 2 to 2/0 suicide or beak style hook.

This rig allows the bait to move around naturally and rarely snags, but is cheap to replace if it does. Make sure the point and barb of the hook remain well exposed.

The bream you catch are sure to surprise.

Regards,

Bob

Edited by kenmare

• 2 weeks later...

I also used to think that telescopic rods were not serious rods until I saw one in action over the long weekend.

I was on Budgewoi beach and the fellow beside me took one out, it was about 12-13 ft long had a fine taper/ fast action with plenty of power in the butt. It cast a heavy weighted pilchard a country mile.

He gave me a closer look at it, it had japanese writing on it with the only english being 'Surf Power', he said his brother in law bought it from Penrith markets about 8 years ago for $40. It was fibreglass all through to the butt (no grips) had quality Fuji components and the best ferrule system for a telescopic I've ever seen.

If I ever see one these rods in a shop I would buy it without hesitation, it impressed me that much.

I also used to think that telescopic rods were not serious rods until I saw one in action over the long weekend.

I was on Budgewoi beach and the fellow beside me took one out, it was about 12-13 ft long had a fine taper/ fast action with plenty of power in the butt. It cast a heavy weighted pilchard a country mile.

He gave me a closer look at it, it had japanese writing on it with the only english being 'Surf Power', he said his brother in law bought it from Penrith markets about 8 years ago for $40. It was fibreglass all through to the butt (no grips) had quality Fuji components and the best ferrule system for a telescopic I've ever seen.

If I ever see one these rods in a shop I would buy it without hesitation, it impressed me that much.

hey mate wow thanks for the reply this thread has been collecting dust for quite a while, and i certainly appreciate the info as im still learning!!

ya actually i think in japan most fishos use a telescopic rod, and they indeed have some nice teleos there, problem is they never make it to australia!! id really love to get my hands on a good one cos itll go nicely with the car i am looking for...

hmmm fibreglass eh?? what characteristics does fibreglass give??? the one im looking at is carbon... if you look above youll see the spec numbers for it but i havnt been able to find any info onthe rod at all.... i prefer a fast action rod.... still looking though...

but dude what is a ferrule system?? i have never even seen that word before!! haha

anyway dude if you have any other info on teleos please let me know!!! thanks!

Well, the one I saw was firbreglass but it 8 years old, I'd say that a new one today would be graphite or at least a blend.

Try some of our site sponsors see if they can source something for you. I tried to do a search on the web for something that looks like the one I saw but no luck.

The ferrule system (if I'm using the right word) is the bit used to join each section of the rod, in a telescopic rod it also holds the guides.

Edited by gone_wishin