Skinning Flatties

gretsch

Gidday Chefs,

I know this has probably been around for a while and I certainly didn't invent or lay claim to same but, I have tried and tested a way of removing flattie skin which is much easier than the usual knife method.

Personally, I quite like the skin on but, my :wife: prefers skinless.

This is what I do:

Don't scale the fish !!

Take off the two fillets as you normally would and then get your knife (make sure it has a sharp tip) and work it under to head end of the fillet until you release the skin back about 15-20mm. Then, grab the tag with your fingers and, whilst holding the fleshy part down, gently but firmly, peel the skin off. You will be left with a a skinless fillet save for the fat layer which tends to adhere to the flesh. This is good as it keeps the fish moist during cooking.

This is the only method I use now. It it almost fool proof. Once you have it started, it is so easy.. :thumbup:

Edited by Ceph

mate always wanted to learn how to skin flat heads.... if possible can someone take some pics of where to exactly cut the flathead so that you extract the flesh and leave the backbone behind...

thanks

anthnoy

mate always wanted to learn how to skin flat heads.... if possible can someone take some pics of where to exactly cut the flathead so that you extract the flesh and leave the backbone behind...

thanks

anthnoy

It is easy. You just run your knife down to the bone behind the head and in front of the pectoral fin and then spin it so that it is parallel with the back bone and then run it along the back bone to the end.

Gidday Chefs,

Take off the two fillets as you normally would and then get your knife (make sure it has a sharp tip) and work it under to head end of the fillet until you release the skin back about 15-20mm. Then, grab the tag with your fingers and, whilst holding the fleshy part down, gently but firmly, peel the skin off. You will be left with a a skinless fillet save for the fat layer which tends to adhere to the flesh. This is good as it keeps the fish moist during cooking.

This is the only method I use now. It it almost fool proof. Once you have it started, it is so easy.. :thumbup:

Hi Ceph

I recently discovered this method by accident myself!! Great minds eh? :biggrin2:

It is the only method I use now as well. It also works for trevally (but not for bream)

Webby

That sounds like an easy way to skin a fish. Thanks Ceph now I have to catch me a flatty and give it a go.

Edited by shmick

thanks

anthnoy

next one i catch i will do you a demo...i tried yesterday for no luck... i might even put a vid up

i have never found any problem skinnin flatties with a knife , after filleting, the key is to grab the fillet form the tail end... placing your knife as close to parallel as possible to the chopping board.... then, keep the knife stationary with slight downward pressure, lightly saw the fillet left to right.... that simple.... if you only pull on the skin you will have no problems (in theory)

• 2 weeks later...

Another way to skin flatties is to start the fillet cut between the 2 pectoral fins. You then wedge your thumb between the skin and flesh where the rear pectoral fin is, then when enogh skin is lifted use the fin as a handle and pull the skin back.

• 3 weeks later...

That method works even better if you leave the fillets in the fridge for 2-3 hours and let the flesh firm up a bit also if you like boneing flathead here is a good video demonstration to look at (sorry to the mods if this is not welcome on this site)

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

next one i catch i will do you a demo...i tried yesterday for no luck... i might even put a vid up

i have never found any problem skinnin flatties with a knife , after filleting, the key is to grab the fillet form the tail end... placing your knife as close to parallel as possible to the chopping board.... then, keep the knife stationary with slight downward pressure, lightly saw the fillet left to right.... that simple.... if you only pull on the skin you will have no problems (in theory)

ditto, easy as once uve done a cple, :1fishing1:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...