Squidgy Braid

the_lure

Gday all

I recently purchased some 10lb squidgy braid for my Laguna 2000, been using 4lb fireline on it for some time and very happy, but wanted something heavier for the spare spool.... but :ranting2::ranting2::ranting2: i have had so many twists, line tangles and rod wraps that Im a bit fed up..... is it just me? shoudl i have gone for a true braid on my spinning reel, or reserve it for the baitcaster??

cheers

Chris

I have found that when you spool up a reel you often put twists in the line. With mono a few twists don't seem to matter much but braids knot very easily. I troll the bare line behind a boat for a couple of hundred metres to get the twists out and the problem disappears. Give it a go.

Cheers,

Jeff

Guest Big-Banana

Gday Mate. I continually had the same problem with Fireline XDS and after asking why it kept happening on the forum I got these two main answers:

1) I spooled to much line onto the spool

2) The line on the spool didnt have enough tension.

Try this release about 100m's of line and bring it back under heavy tension.

Hope this helps :1clap:

I use 8lb squidgy braid and had similar problems. Ian Miller sent some advice and once I applied it I havent had a problem since and I am using it with unweighted squidgy bugs aswell as other weighted plastics.

I took off a 3rd of the line.

From what I can gather from Barra's advice was it is desined to be spooled to 2/3 of your spool for best results.

Its worked for me, so take your spool back to 2/3rds and see how you go.

Cheers Luke.

Gday Swoffa,

I thought the same thing when I was told, I have it on a 7ft squidgy spin with a Symetre reel and those that were at the Fig Tree social would have seen that I was casting every bit as far as them without putting in too much effort and I am about as tall as the 7 Dwarf's so I dont think it has effected the casting ability.

I guess also it depends on what you are using it for.

How far do you cast when chasing bream from your boat? Most of the time you are flicking not really casting.

I am no expert but I took the advice of a pro 'Barra' and it worked.

Not trying to stir you up and its interesting to hear opinions on matters like this one but I'll stick to my guns its worked for me.

I guess everyone has too try the ideas of others and come up with the solution they agree with.