Broughton Island

Ray R

I need some help here Raiders, is Broughton Island a Marine Reserve (NO FISHING ZONE) or can you still fish there, please help me Raiders, Hutcho and I are up there next weekend, don't want any surprises.. Cheers Ray R...

I need some help here Raiders, is Broughton Island a Marine Reserve (NO FISHING ZONE) or can you still fish there, please help me Raiders, Hutcho and I are up there next weekend, don't want any surprises.. Cheers Ray R...

G'day Ray,

From first glance it appears there is a marine park off Broughton Island

that has a "Seasonal Recreational Trolling Only" on it, plus other sanctuaries.

Here is the map which may help.

I don't know what that restriction involves or when it's in force.

Hope it helps a bit.

Cheers,

Pete

Edited by MallacootaPete

Map here Ray:

http://www.mpa.nsw.gov.au/pdf/psglmp-zoning-plan-lo-res.pdf

Essentially,western half OK,eastern half closed for about 2km seaward then a cone for 'seasonal recreation trolling',whatever the hell that means, out east to sea for another 6 or so.Sigh.

What are you blokes going there for anyway-you seem to get enough to stock a fishshop every time you run out to the bay!

Cheers,

Dave.

Hi guys,

The map Dave B has provided is spot on. in essence rec fishos cant fish in the pink areas, but everywhere else is ok. The "troll" zone was put up because every year port stephens has a marlin fishing tornament which brings a lot of $$$ into the area, so they couldnt completely ban that area. It seems with anything political, money talks.

JayKay

Hi guys,

The map Dave B has provided is spot on. in essence rec fishos cant fish in the pink areas, but everywhere else is ok. The "troll" zone was put up because every year port stephens has a marlin fishing tornament which brings a lot of $$$ into the area, so they couldnt completely ban that area. It seems with anything political, money talks.

JayKay

Don't be cynical JayKay-I'm convinced there are strong scientific imperatives making the access during the tounament entirely necessary for the preservation of the otherwise devastatingly overutilised resources within said fishery.Shame on you! :mad3:

Cheers,

Dave.

B)-->

QUOTE(Dave B @ Oct 5 2007, 08:34 PM) 199134[/snapback]

Map here Ray:

http://www.mpa.nsw.gov.au/pdf/psglmp-zoning-plan-lo-res.pdf

Essentially,western half OK,eastern half closed for about 2km seaward then a cone for 'seasonal recreation trolling',whatever the hell that means, out east to sea for another 6 or so.Sigh.

What are you blokes going there for anyway-you seem to get enough to stock a fishshop every time you run out to the bay!

Cheers,

Dave.

just a weekend getaway and a bit of an adventure fishing in a different spot, and yes you are probably right

Thanks DaveB, Jaykay, Mallacootapete, great info for our trip next weekend... Thanks again guys... Ray R...

B)-->

QUOTE(Dave B @ Oct 5 2007, 09:27 PM) 199155[/snapback]

Don't be cynical JayKay-I'm convinced there are strong scientific imperatives making the access during the tounament entirely necessary for the preservation of the otherwise devastatingly overutilised resources within said fishery.Shame on you! :mad3:

Cheers,

Dave.

spoken like a TRUE politician!!!

you running for mayor mate?!?! :074: