Avet Reels

barker

Nectic, I am currently looking at a similar setup, an Avet LX single speed with Rapala Braid composite overhead rod 10-20kg class.

I am not sure whether to go with the LX 4.6:1 or LX6.0:1.

Can you please tell me when each of the above would be best, I'm a bit confused.

Cheers

Nectic, I am currently looking at a similar setup, an Avet LX single speed with Rapala Braid composite overhead rod 10-20kg class.

I am not sure whether to go with the LX 4.6:1 or LX6.0:1.

Can you please tell me when each of the above would be best, I'm a bit confused.

Cheers

Cantab,

Mate i chose the 4;6;1 because the 6.0.1 is extremely high.....i wanted the lower gearing incase i have to pull out a big king from the depths with ease...........4:6:1 is a great allrounder...definately better suited for downrigging and live baiting...

• 2 weeks later...

netic,

please excuse frangkie, he is a good mate (patient) of mine from the sheltered workshop i work at - he has always been partial to buying rubbish product and telling anyone that listens of the gargantuan captures he makes. take his comments with a grain of salt and encourage him as we all do to help him along. :wacko:

barker.

cop that franga.

ps.- sorry to anyone offended by this in-joke.

Yeah I did...you would be surprise at some of the things people post..........

You didnt indicate you were joking at all..................a quick lol...or :tease: or :074: would have been enough to establish the fact that you were joking

now now franga,

leave the nice man alone. he was just trying to help us all with this most difficult pastime of ours.

now back inside and remember... don't touch those sharp hooks on your new lures, i haven't had time to file them down for you yet.

sorry netic, we lost sight of him around the shop earlier today and the snotty fingermarks we found on the office computer gave us an inkling he was up to no good in there for a while.

thanks for keeping him occupied for a bit... we will keep a closer eye on him in the future.

now now franga,

leave the nice man alone. he was just trying to help us all with this most difficult pastime of ours.

now back inside and remember... don't touch those sharp hooks on your new lures, i haven't had time to file them down for you yet.

sorry netic, we lost sight of him around the shop earlier today and the snotty fingermarks we found on the office computer gave us an inkling he was up to no good in there for a while.

thanks for keeping him occupied for a bit... we will keep a closer eye on him in the future.

Believe it or not barker is actualy one of my apprentices, and believe me he is going to have an interesting day at work tomorrow!

Hi.

I had an MXL 6.3. Gave to my mate last week. Don't find it very strong when winding reefies up. His MXL 4.6 much better reel.

I use my Accurate now, instead of. I have a coupla other AVETS. they all nice reels. AND. a great price if you go through charkbait. or cabbagekey.

Regards

Macka17

hey jewgaffer,

how are you mate? my mate frangkie is a top bloke with a good sense of humour. he loves to take the piss and couldn't waste the opportunity with another fella at work linked to the mentioned reels.

have you been getting amongst the action yourself?

same-same action for me, although now i have a new rod/reel combo to dish up a bit more to the kings.

see you out there again one day, regards - barker.

hey jewgaffer,

how are you mate? my mate frangkie is a top bloke with a good sense of humour. he loves to take the piss and couldn't waste the opportunity with another fella at work linked to the mentioned reels.

have you been getting amongst the action yourself?

same-same action for me, although now i have a new rod/reel combo to dish up a bit more to the kings.

see you out there again one day, regards - barker.

Nice to hear from you again Steve !!! I had a really good time on the kingfish that day, thoroughly enjoyable, daredevil tactics and all, it was great fun for me !! It was one of the best outside cliff face trips I have had for years and plenty of the old rock and roll, good chiropractic, tobacco everywhere and not one lit up . :lol:

The currents were right, the tide was running up, the wind was north east the baitfish had nowhere else to go. We had plenty of time to work it out and if they're not there all year round, the kings always hit that area first. Steve it's a mini Greenwell Point. All I can say is this, if your wife wants takeaway I know you'll grab the boat, shoot down off the cliffs for an hour and come back with the kings plus the spuds :D

We'll met again Steve, just can't let an inspiration go like that. We're off to Burraneer real soon I'll give you a call :thumbup:

Regards, good luck with the avets and your smick new gear!

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Nectic, what line are you running on the LX? and I've heard the Rapala Braid rods are good but rated higher than they are as far as line class.

How have you found the 10-20kg?

Mate im loving the Braid rods....i have them on 2 of my outfits now and they have awesome bend to allow me to enjoy the fight and allow some shock absorbtion but they still have a heap of strength when needed to turn a kings head.

Im running 40lb Sensor braid and so far everything as held up well. but this outfit hasnt seen a king beyond 80cm yet....so hopefully i will give it a good test next week

Hi

As far as threels go.

Regardless of what people say. If you can afford the two speeds go for it. You never know when it'll come in handy. not much more exxy. very little weight difference.

I'm slowly changing all mine over. What the hell, It can't hurt. and feels real good when a big Samson or a kingie. turns on you. Just drop a cog. and give it to him. feels great. Well worth the money.

Macka17

Macka

I agree somewhat.

You dont NEED a 2 speed for much, but hey its great to have and it sure feels good to be able to wind up a baited hook in a hurry or winch a fish in in low. About the only time a 2 speed is needed is for the guys chasing big fish out wide, like 'fin doing deep laps under the boat etc.

I love my 2 speed :biggrin2:

when a three speed reel comes out i'll be the first to buy it (especially if it has over-drive) :1prop: