The Best Wollongong Fish Spots

Guest moldyform

Guest moldyform

G'day my first post!

I live in the Wollongong area an am looing for spots to fish both rock and beach. I have gone to Bass point a few times. Is there any good spots out there?

Cheers

G,day Moldyform.

Mate if you can elaborate on what type/species you would be chasing, it would help, but either of the two breakwalls at port harbour are OK for taylor, salmon, bonito and the odd king. Luderic are also available on the inside waters as well as bream and trevally and school jews.

Windang Beach for taylor, Salmon and flathead and Jews, Windang Island for Bream, Taylor, Kings Drummer, groper and the odd snapper

Red Point off Hill 60 salmon, taylor, bonito, kings and snapper. Any of the northern beaches will produce salmon, taylor, bream and jews.

Take your pick and watch where most of the others are fishing its allways a good sign.

Cheers.

• 2 months later...

It was my first time fishing at Hill60 last Saturday with my Brother.

When we got there there were 5~6 people already fishing, everyone were using pilchards. Me and my brother are kinda new to lure fishing and we started using metal lures. My brother cast out his lure and he got a bite, turned out to be a mackrel. he caught 5 mackrels within a span of 3 minutes. crazy! and I havnt even started setting up my rod. I too started catching them like crazy. The other folks just watched us have all the fun. I think thats the best thing about lure fishing is your contstantly active and hunting your fish.

Well anyway our aim was to catch some bonito. Can anyone tell me if they have caught Bonito before off the rocks at hill60??? what is the best time of the year? what are the best lures?? and how fast do i need to reteive my lure.

I live around Sydney and I just want to catch Bonito!

Cheers!

mate i think its still a bit early for binitos... a couple of the guys have been fishing for them over the last few weeks off the rocks at otford with no luck... they are supposed to be turning up soon...

Hey thanks for the info. appreciate it. Will try again in a fortnight when it gets hotter.

Stick with the breakwalls and bag out on tailor. Forget the island its too hard as you have to walk on the sand and it gets everywhere and sometimes you get stranded on high tide.

Much better to just fish the breakwall or Hill 60 as they are easy to get to and safe.

Bonnies arn't here yet, maybe another month or so i reckon.

give the bonito a couple of weeks

you dont have to venture to the rocks to get bonnies either

sydney harbour is a great spot when their on

heading up north isnt a bad idea either, try avoca as its very popular for bonnies

but always expect a crowd there.

however a mate of mine tells me their around north head all year round?!

Yeeros & Injay, thanks for the info. greatly appreciate it.

I dont have any access to a boat yet, so im kinda sticking to rock fishing at the moment. Sydney Harbour would be the easiest area to get to for me. But i dont know where to start fishing at. Is there a great spots in Sydney Harbour which isnt too treacherous?

Sorry if this question doesnt relate to this topic, but I didnt want to start a new thread. And hoped I could just keep this question in here only for now. Your knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Edited by katsuo

Sorry if this question doesnt relate to this topic, but I didnt want to start a new thread. And hoped I could just keep this question in here only for now. Your knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

No thats good!!

By the way where abouts do you fish at hill 60?

Cheers