Rushcutters Park, Edgecliff

cattfish

G'day fisho's,

So I've put a lot of time and effort over at rushcutters, normally off the small public jetty, for pretty poor results :thumbdown:

I have heard good things about it and it looks like a great place to cast a couple of lines but it has been very unproductive.

I've tried most baits and all different lures at different times of the day. I'm after a bit of advice, has anyone had results there?, what are the best methods? do I move on?

Id get off the jetty and move all the way to the point, ive fished there using hand lines and caught good bream of an evening and trev's and lizards....prawns peeled and left to dry worked best for me.

Hope this helps you out.

Hi Cattfish

:1welcomeani::1welcomeani: to FIshraider!

Shame about not getting into the fish so far, given the effort you have put into it!! Perhaps downsize your line & hooks - better chance of getting fish if using say, 10lb line or less - even to 4lb? Just use a stronger leader to the hook (not too big). Try suspending your bait under a float - put a big enough sinker below the float so the float is only just bouyant in the water & with a stopper knot or rubber above the float, to easily adjust the depth you are fishing.

Even using a squashed bit of bread or bits of prawn may help you get onto them. I am sure there are plenty of fish around. I would fish the rising tide, when the fish come in to feed off the jetty structure (altho they will be there most of the time, anyway!)

Good luck! Let us know how you go

Cheers

Roberta

We have had a great amount of success at Elizabeth Bay , ( next bay around ) , particularly for flathead. Aim towards the moored boats , and do a slow retrieve along the bottom. # 1 Son prefers a 3" or 4" gulp minnow , I have done well on the humble peeled prawn. As you are LB , try 6lb braid with a 10lb fluoro leader , goodluck. We have also caught Bream and Trevs there , and have seen Kingies skulking about.....

Ross

Hi Ross I reckon Cattfish ( :1welcomeani: Cattfish !! ) should give Rushcutters Bay a big miss it's more of a backwater alcove for summer night fishing, and with the backdrop of Rushcutters Park, it's not much of an environmont for fishos late at night these days. Elizabeth Bay would be the shot like you say on the bottom to the top of the tide casting out towards the moored boats as well as fishing in close. It can be accessed through the side of Rushcutters going down thru Roslyn Gardens to the bottom. The bay opening favours breezes from the north east for fish congregations around the shores of Elizabeth Bay.

Years ago around the navy ships at Garden Island was the go you could get thru the gate with a blue kit bag full of fishing gear and a wave, not any more though.

The boys from HMAS Katabul, the land based naval office in Potts Point used to fish alongside the battleships and if you got to know them you would get cocao and hot soup and snacks off the navy boats. Good blokes those sailor fishos usually clean cut buck teethed blokes from the country or W.A or somewhere who would rather fish than hit the Sydney nightlife.

Anyway those were pretty easy going days.

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Id get off the jetty and move all the way to the point, ive fished there using hand lines and caught good bream of an evening and trev's and lizards....prawns peeled and left to dry worked best for me.

Hope this helps you out.

Nice one, thanks, I'll move up a bit and let you know how it goes.

Years ago around the navy ships at Garden Island was the go you could get thru the gate with a blue kit bag full of fishing gear and a wave, not any more though.

The boys from HMAS Katabul, the land based naval office in Potts Point used to fish alongside the battleships and if you got to know them you would get cocao and hot soup and snacks off the navy boats. Good blokes those sailor fishos usually clean cut buck teethed blokes from the country or W.A or somewhere who would rather fish than hit the Sydney nightlife.

Anyway those were pretty easy going days.

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

I work at Garden Island these days. The Navy has now actually stopped anyone fishing off it anywhere because of potential that they might slip and hurt themselves somewhere :wacko: and then create a public liability problem. These days the only fish we see here is those unfortunate ones that swim into the dock when the caison is out (to let in a ship) and then get left high and dry when the water is pumped out. That and the crumbed variety in the canteen.

Mysterythecat

Nice looking fish there, Ceph - like you, I like the squidgie fish - but the bigger ones for the leases up here! 100MM silver fox - look just like poddy mullet on Mr Twister jigheads!! THey work a treat!

Cheers

Roberta

If you go up to the point next to the house, there is a sand bar that gets washed over with the waves.

My 7 yo son caught a nice flattie there one afternoon on a soft plastic using a $15 rod.

We tried the jetty and got nothing and on the point we got the flattie within 15 minutes.

Cheers

Greg