Manly Dam Landbase?

SiNH

As the Winner of the Manly Dam carp classic i think i would be an expert on this place,

Nahh!!! no expert here, Just got it right on the day. We could only manage lil ones on the lure but i seen Mark 84 got a stonker bass. You can take a petrol power boat with in the ski boundries but it's only lecie or paddle outside of that. There is heaps of good bank to cast from. Hope you get a stonker.

Lata Raida.

Waynie the Carpinator

As the Winner of the Manly Dam carp classic i think i would be an expert on this place,

Nahh!!! no expert here, Just got it right on the day. We could only manage lil ones on the lure but i seen Mark 84 got a stonker bass. You can take a petrol power boat with in the ski boundries but it's only lecie or paddle outside of that. There is heaps of good bank to cast from. Hope you get a stonker.

Lata Raida.

Waynie the Carpinator

congrats mate! what was the winning fish?

On the other side of the dam wall opposite the car park theres some lily's there and there are some bass and redfin around . Some of the people I've talked to who fish down there reckon there are trout and silver perch in there.

I haven't fish there for a looong time (in the days when plastics were Mr Twisters and scroungers) we use to fish celtas and tassie devils but i'm sure small plastics would be the go

Just wondering though, I came across a couple of sites on the internet and its led me to believe that the water quality in the dam isnt great for fish consumption?

Since some of you have been there recently, what is your take on this water quality?

More so would taking redfins home for the table a good idea?

Nice little fishery Manly Dam, the Bass are generally small (with the odd decent fish) and there are plenty of Carp for fun. I haven't encountered any of the Redfin myself but I hear there is a good population. There are NO Trout or Silver Perch in Manly Dam, neither were ever stocked and the conditions are not conductive to Trout survival anyway. The Silver Perch call is most likely a misidentification of fish, Golden Perch were stocked into Manly Dam a long time ago all though they are rarer thans hens teeth in there.

Shore based access is quite good, either side of the Dam is easily accessed.

As for water quality, well there was a major fish kill a few years back when the golf course dumped a tonne of crap into it. I am not sure if it effects the current fish population in any way?

Cheers

Windy

I wouldn't have thought there was Goldens either, but I was going through my extensive Freshwater Fishing Magazines and found an article written about the Dam quite a few years ago and it stated they were and a photo of one caught there. I think the Stocked Dams and Impoundments of NSW book also backs this up.

Cheers

Windy