Nepean River

Blood Knot

Hi raiders

Woke up early Sunday morning (5.00am) and decided to go for a fish (had planned on sleeping in) but have no sleep control :wacko:

So jumped in the car, heart said go to IC and chase bream & flatties but ended up out at Penrith for 2nd shot at catchin Bass.

Caught 4 smallish Bass - between micro size and 25cm all on R2S poppers. Rigged up a Gulp 3inch Jigging grub in "smoke"colour and gave that a shot just before quiting and caught 1 more nice fish at 33cm.

Sorry about the duplicate post on this subject, can mods please delete this one Thanks

John

post-99-1195464060_thumb.jpg

Edited by Blood Knot

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see the nepean doing well after the rains. Getting a bass like that is a great way to start the day.

I got these 3 last Friday arvo (30/11/2007) trolling Kokoda hard bodied lipless minnows from my kayak near cover at Camden Airport. 2 were the orange colored variety and one on black/silver.

Top to bottom 35cm, 33cm, 29cm.

post-6111-1196985610_thumb.jpg

post-6111-1196985627_thumb.jpg

post-6111-1196985595_thumb.jpg

Edited by ARP1980

Hi ARP1980 :1welcomeani:

I think you be able to help out here I often take my 10 year old grandson, Little Jewgaffer up to Chelleaton Bridge, Cobbity Bridge or to the boat ramp alongside the turf farm at Theresa Park to launch my smaller boat.

The airport section between the weirs has always been kept secret when I ask about it.

A local from up there, a customer in a tackle shop, told me that it is an excellent hot spot. He made a point to tell me the bass up there went ballistic on blue colours.

He had to go before he was able to explain where I could get a boat in or for that matter get land based access.

Can you give me some advice on getting access to this section ? It would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hi ARP1980 :1welcomeani:

I think you be able to help out here I often take my 10 year old grandson, Little Jewgaffer up to Chelleaton Bridge, Cobbity Bridge or to the boat ramp alongside the turf farm at Theresa Park to launch my smaller boat.

The airport section between the weirs has always been kept secret when I ask about it.

A local from up there, a customer in a tackle shop, told me that it is an excellent hot spot. He made a point to tell me the bass up there went ballistic on blue colours.

He had to go before he was able to explain where I could get a boat in or for that matter get land based access.

Can you give me some advice on getting access to this section ? It would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

G'Day Jewgaffer,

I access the river at the base of the bridge on Macquarie Grove road. There is a large sandy bank there where you could put in a canoe or smallish tinnie. Unfortunately the Council has gated off the area at the road so you might have to haul your craft 20 odd metres or so.

Directly opposite the launching bank is a flat area for you to land base. Haven't heard of people having much luck there for bass but have heard plenty of stories about carp up to 16kg being caught on floats with corn or bread. Your grandson would probably have a ball if he hooks on one of those dirty buggers!

I always paddle down stream as upstream is a little shallow and weedy.

Would be interested to know where the boat ramp is at Theresa Park? I've only ever gone as far downstream as Cobbitty Bridge. Don't mind fishing there also, but access is very steep for launching the Kayak.

Thanks for the tip on blue colours. I have a blue stumpjumper ready to go but haven't used it because the lipless minnows seem to be doing ok over the last couple of months.

Hi ARP1980. Hi Blood Knot. This reply is for you for your bass fishing trips too.

For what we call the old Theresa park ramp go up Werombi Road past the University Vet Farms. Go past Terry Road and turn right into Mckee Road. When you drive almost all the way down McKee road you will come to a turf farm. Keep going to the last turf paddock and turn right at the lane along the side of the turf.

Open the gate but be sure to close it every time to keep the horses in the paddock that leads down the track about 150 mtres to the river.

To give you an indication, I have had deep sea cabin boats in there dozens of times , though restricted to parts of it ( the good ones tho !) and I have had overnight sessions in that part of the Nepean. There is excellent water in that whole area and several nice beaches for family picnics. If you go left from the boat ramp you come to a white beach in front of a distant homestead. There is home made brick barbecue there that fishos, campers and picnics etc share and plenty of nice grassy ares, old wood and excellent bank fishing. It is a remote and quiet part of the river only accessible by boat or thru an isolated farm.

The water in the area up to the weir is a magic spot for bass and perch. There's heaps of eels and I have never caught a carp there so the water must be too good a quality. Beware of black snakes near the shore and particularly the boat ramp. I struck three of them at the waters edge one time. It's loaded with tree vipers in the overhanging trees as well.

I only hope that the council who own the track down to the river don't put a gate in front of it and say there use it for emergency access !! They did this at South Camden and another handy ramp up river near Douglas Park, an excellent part of the river for perch as well.

Also I have a mate Gary, a concreter with a cow farm a few miles up from Menangle towards Picton. He has turned the cow track into a boat ramp! We have a spot a mile or so up the river with about 30' feet of water off a high cliff. This is a magic spot for massive size bass.

If you ever want Gary's number send me a pm. It would be ideal up there for your kuyak and you would have the whole river to yourself, but slip Gary half a dozen stubbies and when he might slip a spare key to the gates!

Hope this helps and I know you will enjoy being a fishraider.

It's nice to have a kayak bloke up this way

Cheers

Hi ARP1980. Hi Blood Knot. This reply is for you for your bass fishing trips too.

For what we call the old Theresa park ramp go up Werombi Road past the University Vet Farms. Go past Terry Road and turn right into Mckee Road. When you drive almost all the way down McKee road you will come to a turf farm. Keep going to the last turf paddock and turn right at the lane along the side of the turf.

Open the gate but be sure to close it every time to keep the horses in the paddock that leads down the track about 150 mtres to the river.

To give you an indication, I have had deep sea cabin boats in there dozens of times , though restricted to parts of it ( the good ones tho !) and I have had overnight sessions in that part of the Nepean. There is excellent water in that whole area and several nice beaches for family picnics. If you go left from the boat ramp you come to a white beach in front of a distant homestead. There is home made brick barbecue there that fishos, campers and picnics etc share and plenty of nice grassy ares, old wood and excellent bank fishing. It is a remote and quiet part of the river only accessible by boat or thru an isolated farm.

The water in the area up to the weir is a magic spot for bass and perch. There's heaps of eels and I have never caught a carp there so the water must be too good a quality. Beware of black snakes near the shore and particularly the boat ramp. I struck three of them at the waters edge one time. It's loaded with tree vipers in the overhanging trees as well.

I only hope that the council who own the track down to the river don't put a gate in front of it and say there use it for emergency access !! They did this at South Camden and another handy ramp up river near Douglas Park, an excellent part of the river for perch as well.

Also I have a mate Gary, a concreter with a cow farm a few miles up from Menangle towards Picton. He has turned the cow track into a boat ramp! We have a spot a mile or so up the river with about 30' feet of water off a high cliff. This is a magic spot for massive size bass.

If you ever want Gary's number send me a pm. It would be ideal up there for your kuyak and you would have the whole river to yourself, but slip Gary half a dozen stubbies and when he might slip a spare key to the gates!

Hope this helps and I know you will enjoy being a fishraider.

It's nice to have a kayak bloke up this way

Cheers

Wow! that's some great info Jewgaffer!!!

I'm sure i'll be hitting Theresa Park during the Christmas/new year period and just tell me the beer your mate prefers because that spot at Menangle sounds super!!!

I'll be in touch soon. Have heard from other sources that the bass right upstream are massive and you've added fuel to that fire. Tried menangle downstream from the road overpass early in November for a 25cm and 32cm Bass. Couldn't troll there as it was a little shallow but casting poppers and shallow divers seemed to get some results.

Thanks again. Fishraider is reaping benefits already!!

This was one of the bass I got at menangle 10/11/2007. 32cm on shallow diver (scorpion) - redfin colour.

post-6111-1197113298_thumb.jpg

No worries, I'll pass on freshwater information anytime. There is no such thing as a secret spot X, although in certain locations there may be only enough room for one or two boats .

The only problem in freshwater is getting accces to new territory and locating undisturbed spots and fishing them accordingly to keep them that way.

Good types of locations can be recognised and constantly tested using natural baits to verify the prime positions and indentify the most favourable conditions for using lures. otherwise "you will be fishing blind" as my own Dad used to say many, many years ago.

Cheers

Edited by jewgaffer

No worries, I'll pass on freshwater information anytime. There is no such thing as a secret spot X, although in certain locations there may be only enough room for one or two boats .

The only problem in freshwater is getting accces to new territory and locating undisturbed spots and fishing them accordingly to keep them that way.

Good types of locations can be recognised and constantly tested using natural baits to verify the prime conditions etc. otherwise "you will be fishing blind" as my own Dad used to say many, many years ago.

Cheers

Jewgaffer - Thanks for sharing so much info. I dont have a Kayak ( though do have boat). Allways on the lookout for landbased spots though. I work out at Campbelltown and have just started sussing out some spots for a quick fish before work.

Thanks

John