Bluewater Lure Recommendation

Byron

G'day all,

I need to buy my brother-in-law Anthony a trolling lure for Xmas and looking for some advice.

What I am after is something that could be trolled in-shore for tuna, dollies etc on 15kg. Looking to spend up to $40-50 and thought a small size Pakula (Micro Sprocket, Zipper etc)

So to all those bluewater trollers amongst the members, please give me your thoughts on what you would recommend.

Rgds,

Byron

Guest bluecod

Byron,

Guess who just opened a pandoras box!

There's going to be a multitude of lures that will do the job you've mentioned.

Does he fish a spread of lures, how many in the spread, where in the spread does he want to fish them? We won't go there

Keep in mind that a streamlined lure should be fished further from the boat and a lure that has a broad head and looks like it will push a lot of water should be fished closer in and around the prop wash.

I've had a lot of success on tunas with pink/white, pink/blue, pink/purple/silver [dollies also can't resist them] and using 15kg line he won't want to be using a hook or hooks larger than 8/0. If you get a fairly small lure [6"] the lure will also get more action if you are using fairly light hooks such as those used for saltwater fly.

To increase his chances at a small inshore marlin a lure of around 9" would be better and colour selection would be different [flouro], however his strike rate on the tunas will probably drop off. If you need help in rigging the lure PM me.

I have a couple of lumo micro sprockets, they're a good allrounder. :thumbup: The Mini sprocket is also ok, but the micro is better for most species. Run it in the longer positions in the spread. Also check out some of the top gun terminators, I have heaps of them they're my favourites. :thumbup:

Byron

contrary to that one day we had on the dollies they aint normally fussy in what they eat and summer tunas like stripeys and the like can be of the same frame of mind when blind trolling too. So for inshore tunas and dollies pretty well any old "shirt" will do. Your best bet simply based on the big fish will eat small lures philosophy would be all the ultra small stuff like Uzi's mini hollowpoints, mini magoos, jet heads, even chrissy trees etc are all the stuff I run when trolling for these fish. Colour selection by default is anything with pink in it but if your getting thes small lures you should have enough $$ to get a few colour variations. dont waste your money buying pre rigged setups for this size just use some light/medium leader and decent qual light gauge trolling hooks for when that bigger specimen jumps on board.

Edited by allen glover

Thanks for all the advice guys,

I will be heading down to make the necessary purchases today. Looks like I will get a couple of different lures instead of just the one.

Pink and a Lumo seems to be the consensus.

Cheers and Merry Xmas!!