Any Idea

Royce Hamilton

Question

6 answers to this question

Caught one 5 feet long and double thumb thickness 2 months back. For all the world was like a sea snake (especially head shape) as it didn't have all the full complement of teeth a eels usuelly comes with. Slimed up something horrible and slippery as we had it in the boat trying to de-hook it and talk about aggressive and fast!!!!!! As strong as steel when it coiled and wrapped around any object. Scared it might have been venemous but looked on the musuem site and it was a serpent eel from memory.

With 2 hands we couldn't straighten this thing to unwrap him off a bollard but eventually put him back in the drink. Old fishos told me to cut line of knock it on the head as they are so fast and aggressive and with both needle teeth and plates can go a toe or finger to the bone.

When caught it was as if it had wrapped around something on the bottom ( after initial dead strike I thought I was snagged) and was getting ready to bust off the line. Had a feeling of a couple of flutters so thought I might have a fish on and it ws just the lead snagged so upped the drag an tried winding. No luck so after 5 minutes with tension on while working another rod I decided to grab the line and bust off. It actually went for a short run after I got it off the bottom and another as it got sight of the boat . Fo something with no fins as all I was surprises until I felt it's strength in the boat and flattening of it's mid body.

Not sure I would bring another into the boat as ungloved fingers were a bit tingly from the slime and the agression.

Checked the site. Mine was this - serpent eel- http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/fishfact...sh/oserpens.htm

Edited by pelican

Hamo do you reckon that was what is was?

Yeah mate, sounds very similar. Did the same thing at the start where i thought i had a snag and then it let go of what ever it was holding onto. I would say it is the same type by the destinctive head shape. Thanks for the help, wont be bringing that in the boat again. Cheers.

If the tip of it's tail is hard and bony: Snipe eel/Serpent eel, incidentally a primo bait for kingis. Uses the tail-tip to bury into the sand, hence seeming like a snag initially. If not then it's a pike eel. You'd know if it was a pikey, he'll fearlessly & repeatedly lunge at you with jaws snapping & remarkable accuracy. Boating a pikey invariably results in claret, often requiring surgery. Best to cut the line or let the priest bless it ( +10 Hail Marys as penance) before it comes over the gunwale.

Pikies are without doubt the most unpleasant creature God ever shovelled guts into. :1tongue:

Edited by Jigholio

If the tip of it's tail is hard and bony: Snipe eel/Serpent eel, incidentally a primo bait for kingis. Uses the tail-tip to bury into the sand, hence seeming like a snag initially. If not then it's a pike eel. You'd know if it was a pikey, he'll fearlessly & repeatedly lunge at you with jaws snapping & remarkable accuracy. Boating a pikey invariably results in claret, often requiring surgery. Best to cut the line or let the priest bless it ( +10 Hail Marys as penance) before it comes over the gunwale.

Pikies are without doubt the most unpleasant creature God ever shovelled guts into. :1tongue:

:Funny-Post::Funny-Post::Funny-Post::Funny-Post::Funny-Post: