Kings And Jews

namesay

I cut my teeth on jewies when I was younger. It was almost an obsession for a while . There is so much BS surrounding jewies it is unbelieveable. Most myths are postulated by those who don't catch much but have large mouths or by those who tell porkies to keep their secrets safe. Slowly but surely I started to figure them out.

Cheers Kelvin

Kelvin, you summed it up to perfection. They do become an obsession and a bloody bad one. Once you think you have them sussed the obsession thankfully fades and you start to see clearly with both eyes again. Thank god there's more to fishing than jewies......so much more.

I don't quite know what it is about this species. They are not the greatest fighter, not the greatest on the table but the obsession phase you go through is so strong.....why?

My mate is a very well known Sydney jewfisho who now only chases them 3 or 4 times a year if he's lucky. He once chased then 3 or 4 nights a week!

Its near impossible to psych him up these days. Once the challenge is over, there's no real point. Time to move on to the next challenge just to keep fishing interesting again :thumbup:

Regards

Red

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kelvin, you summed it up to perfection. They do become an obsession and a bloody bad one. Once you think you have them sussed the obsession thankfully fades and you start to see clearly with both eyes again. Thank god there's more to fishing than jewies......so much more.

I don't quite know what it is about this species. They are not the greatest fighter, not the greatest on the table but the obsession phase you go through is so strong.....why?

My mate is a very well known Sydney jewfisho who now only chases them 3 or 4 times a year if he's lucky. He once chased then 3 or 4 nights a week!

Its near impossible to psych him up these days. Once the challenge is over, there's no real point. Time to move on to the next challenge just to keep fishing interesting again :thumbup:

Regards

Red

A funny thing with the modern aspect of fishing is that we are finding new ways to target our old favourites. We are now trying to get them on soft plastics. WIthout these new challenges all we are doing is culling the numbers. My mates and I did very well today on lures and bait. Once again the kings came and spoilt the party somewhat. Peter even got a giant flathead while mooching the plastic around. These lures are opening up a whole new chapter on these jews....yet another challenge! Cheers Kelvin

What a small world Kelvin...Sean belongs to the same fishing club as me and my daughter and admittedly I hadn't looked at Fishraider all last week and he came up to me at the pub last night asking me if I knew of the site and your alias etc...I remember you telling your story when your trailer stuffed up...I'm not surprised Sean did that either...he is a good bloke and even cleans our trophy cabinet which is not really his job but he's that sort of person...

He was pretty happy with the days fishing...nice to see the pics as well...

Good report and some top notch fish there...

Edited by Capt Hook

Love your work :074: Lets see if you can keep your promises :biggrin2:

Regards

Red

I not aware if you know what REALLY happens out there and the grapevine working among certain fishos. You really have to earn the trust of people before information flows. These forums are not the place where confidential information is passed.

You may have noticed that I have not posted any reports for months and months. Neither have all of my friends. This doesn't mean we were sitting at home twiddling our thumbs. Quite contrary. WE have been out fishing our usual 2-4 times a week chasing our finned friends. In summary the past 6 months have seen some extraordinary fishing!!!

This report is dedicated to my mate Tony and his celebrated capture. He is an highly intelligent individual who uses his considerable intelligence effectively and learns extremely quickly. He also has an extreme passion for fishing tackle and techniques. I now feel I am not alone when it comes to purchasing fishing tackle and trying out new techniques!!! He spends almost as much as I do :1prop:

Tony also has the ability to make great judgements. Of course this reflects on his business sucess but when it comes to fishing, he knows when to shut up and listen. This is what separates the good fishos and the not so good. Also he is a great guy in general. Being generous and big hearted....my kids love him and my wife doesn't mind him hanging around my house either.

The only trouble is that in the last few trips I had to catch most of the bait. :074: I know he will redeem himself tomorrow afternoon!!!! Cheers Kelvin

I not aware if you know what REALLY happens out there and the grapevine working among certain fishos.

A grapevine? What on earth has that got to do with fishing? :1prop:

I think the majority of hard-core fishos have networks of grapevines. One for each targetted species :thumbup: Thankfully these grapevines aren't affected by drought conditions......they only require one ingredient......trust :thumbup:

Cheers

Red

"i got 2 kings coming up on the sounder" 5 seconds later its a double hook up!

"Thats a jew! thats a jew! drop the baits to the bottom"... 2 minutes later jew on the deck!

Kelvin does 90% of the work and makes it took easy to catch fish.

Hey guys,

just a quick qestion as I am a bit baffled with the above comments, let me see if I have got this right, you look for Jewies on your sounder and then drop baits when you see what you think is a Jewie and hope to hook up???? Surely your taking the piss right?????? :1prop::1prop:

Mate

before i saw it with my own eyes i thought like you did, but i kid you not......Kelvin calls his fish before they strike, we even could tell when fish were in feeding mode or just cruising around the bottom. simple put his set up is "State of the Art"

"i got 2 kings coming up on the sounder" 5 seconds later its a double hook up!

"Thats a jew! thats a jew! drop the baits to the bottom"... 2 minutes later jew on the deck!

Kelvin does 90% of the work and makes it took easy to catch fish.

Hey guys,

just a quick qestion as I am a bit baffled with the above comments, let me see if I have got this right, you look for Jewies on your sounder and then drop baits when you see what you think is a Jewie and hope to hook up???? Surely your taking the piss right?????? :1prop::1prop:

I guess there will always be those who are baffled by novel ideas. Let's put it this way, we don't fish in areas where there are NO fish. I think all of us would agree that this is a waste of time. A sounder is a device which allows you to locate fish and structure. Some are better than others. If you know what a jewie or a king looks like on your sounder, their signatures are unmistakable.

We spot individual kings in water 150m deep- over offshore reefs. We don't drop jigs and waste time and energy until we can spot the kings. In my opinion a good sounder is uniquely THE most important piece of equipment when jigging. More important than reels, lines jigs etc. You won't catch fish if there are none below your boat!!! In shallower water, the process is even easier. A jew with its large air bladder is a prime target.

We use whatever technology is on offer to give us an advantage. I use some of the best tackle and electronics to find more fish to catch. Simple really.

If you don't think a jew reacts to a prime bait dropped right on its head then, you don't understand fish behaviour. Some fish like kings can actually be turned off biting a lure or a bait when presented repeatedly but not a jew. Barra and murray cod are the same in that they can be enticed to strike. Your bait/lure presentation is made exponentially more effective if you know where the fish are.

I fished with my mates Peter and Andrew midweek and we had strike after strike on our lures from jews ( and some nuisance kings and flathead ) . I was able to hover my boat above the fish and I would guess our lures were in the faces of the jewies 70% of the time. Peter managed to land 2 ( lost another 2 ) and not once did he cast his lure. He knew that I had the boat right over them and gently jigged them up!!! Andrew had the same sort of success ...all because we could spot the jews and I was able to position my boat to allow maximum time for the lures to stay in the strike zone. They were shut down but we managed to get a few...and lose a few. P.S Flathead are harder to spot on the sounder!!!.CHeers Kelvin

P.S Flathead are harder to spot on the sounder!!!.CHeers Kelvin

haha! i am sure you look for them Kelvin!

by the way Kelvin and i went out for a quick bash in the arvo and i got another jew this time on a lure!

got a couple of flatties while targetting the jews.

kelvin couldnt escape the kings! im seriously starting to worry!!

i think a good name for the trophy would be "Seriola Magnet"

Edited by R_Zee

by the way Kelvin and i went out for a quick bash in the arvo and i got another jew this time on a lure!

nice fish tony! hopefully you'll put me onto my first decent jew this summer :1prop:

Even when I try to get the baits out of the way, the kings just scoff them down!!!Even had them chase down my jewie lures...bastards! Cheers Kelvin

I had a tough day with bait only managed one squid a one cuddle fish.

i guess i should copy someone and soak my jigs in egimax OVERNIGHT.

perth is T-5weeks! samspon here we come!

Ah the cuddle fish.......just the ticket for the lonely fisho....

I recently found this site a few days ago and to say I'm impressed is an understatement.

Normally I would think much of what is said here is fisherman's tales but I'm pretty sure I have seen many of you on the water over the years and don't doubt what is said.

Having got into fishing seriously only in the last couple of years I aspire to the reach the time in my fishing career when I call kingies and flatties a nuisance........

Now to call jewie's a nuisance........

2Pipperty :1welcomeani:

If you search Kingfish you will find that during last summer season

Kelvin absolutley was braining them I think the rough count was 200+

As he has stated he does run the best technology on his boat but he also

has the hours on the water and would be the most knowledgeable person

here when talking Kingfish ( my opinion and many others )

So in answer to "your taking the piss right?????? " is, no he knows his target :biggrin2:

Always love your post Kelvin and was hoping to hear more with the Kings

coming on in numbers :thumbup:

Chris

In my opinion spending the hours is the greatest teacher. I think you may be understating the numbers of kings. In some months we have been getting over 100 kings per week!...especially in winter.

I thought I would not see the day when kings were once again a "nuisance"fish. When I was a kid lots of older fishos used to complain about the kings ripping off their snapper and jew baits and busting them off. Still remember when kings were thought of as being inedible and being completley undesireable.

I recount a bloke who used to always use a handline to bottom bash the reefs some decades ago. He once hooked what would appear to be a decent king on 100lb handline. The line wrapped around his arm and cut it down to the bone!!!! Nearly "degloved" his arm. He was fortunate to still have an arm and not a stump. The worst part was that he also lost the fish... :biggrin2:

I got hit a couple of times yesterday by kings as I was lowering the baits into the water. Had to try and pull the baits away from them but still managed to hook and land several. Lucky I always wear gloves as braid is like a razor blade! They also shadowed our lures and chased them down. Had to rip the lures away from the kings as plastics can get expensive.

We can thank this proliferation of kingfish to the decision to ban the floating traps. Now that the harbour is free of commercial fishing we can hopfully have the good ole times back. The kings are getting a little too easy to catch. It wasn't that long ago that getting double figures of kings in a session was the highlight of the year. Now it is a bad day when we don't score double figures when targeting kings. Often it is 20-30 fish in a session.

I guess we are trying new ways to tempt our old adversarys including jews, bream, flathead etc and changing the goal posts constantly. Like many fishos I like to target trophy sized fish. With so many smaller kings around it is difficult to get a bait down long enough for a bigger fish to take them!!!

This really is a 2nd chance at a fishery. I think we should be gratgeful. I know the tackle shops are.

I applaud the decision to increase the size of the legal kings to 65cm but I think it should go further. They start to breed at 70cm. We should increase the size limit to either 70 or even 75cm. This will allow the kings to breed atleast once before they are taken thereby replacing themselves. This size limit will also apply to the pros. UNlike us rec fishos they don't have a bag limit. It may mean that a lot of people may not have a legal kingfish capture for a while but they grow quick and in a year or 2 we will have a fantastic fishery with XOS kings in abundance and the smaller fish will create a fantastic catch and release fishery!!!! Kingies are hardy and survive well after release even in deep water.

Just my thoughts CHeers Kelvin

Edited by namesay

The better question is which brand haven't I owned!!! Tried almost all the brands and settled on furuno. CHeers Kelvin

Thanks Kelvin, but if I can pry just a little bit more. What model do you have and why did you settle on that particular model.

Why the furuno and lets say for example a similarly specified Lowrance?

I know its off topic somewhat, but you have wondering?

Thanks Kelvin, but if I can pry just a little bit more. What model do you have and why did you settle on that particular model.

Why the furuno and lets say for example a similarly specified Lowrance?

I know its off topic somewhat, but you have wondering?

I own 2 furuno sounders. They are the fcv585 and the fcv620. I have others that are installed on my boats but the furunos do the hard yards.

Why not Lowrance? For a start I can't read their screens!!!! Too much clutter and interference. The furunos are clear and concise. On a Lowrance sounder, I lose fish in all that clutter whereas the furunos show fish clear as day. I know you can clean up the lowrnace screen by lowering the gain but the furunos almost completely eliminate the clutter without sacrificing the fish finding power.

post-2057-1196583267_thumb.jpg

Have a look at this photo. We are jigging up kings in 70-80m of water. The higher frequency shows the trench that the fish are sitting in. The lower frequency show a broader picture and its target discrimination isn't as clear but it has better penetration in deeper water. The fish are showing up very clearly and you can even spot individual fish. They are ALL kings!!!! This is in full auto. I normally adjust the gain/depth zoom etc when jigging but this shows the power of these sounders in deeper water.

post-2057-1196583417_thumb.jpg

In shallower water, it is just too easy!! This shot shows a small school of kings pinning a bait ball on the bottom. I see this frequently where the kings are sitting above the bait.The kings are a bit "squiggly"as they are very active. They are really switched on!!!

If you buy the current copy of the "fishing DVD number 9 " scott amon shows a similar situation on an lowrance sounder. Eagle and lowrance are virtually identical. Just compare his picture to this!!!

post-2057-1196583468_thumb.jpg

This shot shows my downrigger bomb going through a school of kings. It is the blue line on the lower frequency. They are sitting just above some structure. You can count the fish. The higher frequency shows what is right under the boat and the lower frequency shows a broader picture. These fish aren't as active and show up darker and as ovals and arches especially in the lower frequency. These fish are generally harder to tempt.

All these shots were taken on auto!!!! It is what you get straight out of the box. Just fantastic. Of course you can get greater definition of your selected targets by selecting manual modes. No surface clutter and everything crystal clear ....easy.Most importantly the furunos don't sacrifice fish finding power with a clearer picture.

post-2057-1196583557_thumb.jpg

This is the result ..a happy angler! Cheers Kelvin

Edited by namesay

Now that is a familiar face!!! How have you been?? Now we can get the kingies the easy way..with bait and NO seasickness :074: Cheers Kelvin

hey hey its not patrick its charlie!!! the guy with the big muscles :P

im hanging for tonys boat to be ready hopefully this weekend we'll be able to get it out.

going to be a great summer i can feel it already :beersmile:

This sounder understanding is amazing stuff Namesay. :1yikes: I've never even heard of it before though I thought that eventually it would not be impossible, and as I can see you quietly mastererd it ages ago !!

Tell you what Kelvin, I need a lesson, my mate Mitch Boban needs some tweeking up, and we only need a little share of some of the comprehension you have :1Lighten::D .

Look at it this way Kelvin, Boban is a barrister/solicitor, I believe you are a dentist, I'll be Boban's client and I'll be your patient. I'm even prepared to take injection free extractions and hi speed drilling just to learn a little about it.

Are you willing to help us in a lesson Uncle Kelvin old mate ?

jewgaffer :1fishing1::byebye: