Radio Call Signs

Markwi

Boat Name: Anakiwa

Vhf Channel: 16-21

27Mg Channel:88-94

Coast Guard Call sign:ENC-760

Boat: Caribbean Reef Runner 21/3. White with a blue stripe.

Podded with a 200hp mercury optix.

Port: Botany Bay.

Boat Name: Bender

27Mg Channel: 88-94

Boat: Quintrex 385 Explorer. Silver With 30hp Mercury. And minkota Electric on the front.

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

I notice that some call signs seem to be 'official', as in ENS987 (this is just an example that I made up) and others hav listed them as their boat name. I am new to the airwaves, what is proper procedure with call signs. I will be launching from Port Kembla and further down the south coast.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hello Raiders-

Hydrasports 2500- white hull, twin Mercury 225

Boat name/callsign - Michelle1

Rego - AET831N - Alpha Echo Tango 831 November

Moored- woodford bay, lane cove

Fish- Sydney Harbour

Monitor- VHF16

Keen to meet fellow raiders- come over n say hello!!

Superfish- Stevie

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

boat name: Scamp

Boat: Haines V16

Call Sign (Central Coast): Charlie Charlie 336 (CC336)

Monitor 27Meg 88/94

Put in at Woy and out to Broken Bay, east and west reefs, Avoca drop offs, Valiant etc

give me a call when your out. Been fishing the area for 4 decades

Cheers

• 2 years later...

Boat name "Patronus"

Botany Bay coast guard call sign "ENC638"

Eagle November Charlie 638

Radio VHF - monitor channel 16

BOAT: Stacer 525 Bowrider (Black Hull, white deck)

regards Bill

Echo not Eagle (sorry not meaning to offend but when you can't hear properly it counts)

if anyone needs to know the phonetic alphabet I am willing to help (former CFS radio operator)

Edited by Adalimbi

• 9 months later...

Boat: Stacer 449 Outlaw side console

Rego: AHR066N

Colour: white with black bimini

Call sign: Sportfish 63 or Sea Miner

VHF 16

Fishing out of Broken Bay at the moment

6ubuduzu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Berleyguts

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Ok here goes a stupid question.... why do you have a Boat name and a call sign different to each other?

I'm just asking because I'm new and learning with my first boat

My Boat's name is Ofelinda and so far never went offshore or had to used the radio, can I use Ofelinda as my call sign or I need to register with something different with a coast guard or someone???

post-36271-0-58288700-1431598177_thumb.jpg

Edited by latindog

I'd guess that its to keep them unique

Only one call sign, but there is probably the same named boats around the place

My turn now

Boat: Two Blues - 5metre Runabout. White top, Orange hull
Call Sign 27mhz & VHF: Central Coast 796

Edited by antonywardle

• 1 year later...

Ok here goes a stupid question.... why do you have a Boat name and a call sign different to each other?

I'm just asking because I'm new and learning with my first boat

My Boat's name is Ofelinda and so far never went offshore or had to used the radio, can I use Ofelinda as my call sign or I need to register with something different with a coast guard or someone???

Not such a stupid question IMO :). If you register with your local marine rescue branch's radio club they will issue you a call sign that is as Ant said unique. Also saves time logging on and off as when you use your call sign they have the details of your boat, car, trailer and emergency contact on file so ask fewer questions.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

It is three years now since the last post. Way back there was a question as to whether you use your registered callsign or boat name to book on. Your boat rego opens up the opportunity to get a lot of info from RMS in NSW or the appropriate Boating Authority in other states. This could be vital if you get into trouble. YOU MUST LOG ON TO MARINE RESCUE. This for your own benefit, not ours. If you log on using your boat name the ifo collected by Marine Rescue is as far as it goes. You will be asked a series of question  such as rego, launch point, number on board, destination, estimated time of return and your onboard mobile phone number. You should be asked your vehicle and trailer rego and land contact with mobile number. If you log on by app you will have to fill in the same information. However the app will log your gps coordinates at set intervals. Which means if you are overdue or call for help we can find your boat on Google maps. Please log off, as occasionally we find an overdue vessel parked in a driveway. Sounds funny but we then have to locate the vessel owner and make sure he is ok before logging him off. This may or mar not involve the police to locate him. Who said being a Marine Rescue Radio operator boring

• Thanks 1