Brown's 29/11

tomahawk1999

G'day all,

after selling my boat about 5 years ago I hadn't been out game fishing or to the mountain, mainly concentrating on bream and flatties on sp's.

Untill yesterday when I got an invite out with an old mate who has just bought himself a little Riviera :1prop: and is keen to get into game fishing but wanted some clues on how to go about it.

post-1271-1196405923_thumb.jpg

We ran out to the bait station where we found 21* water and started trolling down sth to head for Browns.

The water temp improved the closer we got and I couldn't believe that there was only 1 pro drop lining out there on such a top day.

About 500 m off the mountain we picked up our first little fin on a sprocket and after boating him we started a cube trail.

We picked up another 2 fin and lost a mako over the next few hours and after things slowed down we decided to have some lunch and then troll back up to Brown's as we had drifted a fair way south.

post-1271-1196406131_thumb.jpg

We started trolling again and just as we got back to the mountain we had a double hookup on fin, with one being boated quickly however the other was a fair bit bigger and ended up getting away. :thumbdown:

As we started cubing again one of the guy's hooked up big time but lost the fish fairly quickly, Bruce our captain was christening a new Saltiga rod and reel loaded with 50lb braid and sure enough he hook's the jumbo size Y/f.

After 1/2 hr we set him up with a make shift harness and rod bucket as the stick had no gimble and the rod no harness lugs and he's into it.

post-1271-1196406042_thumb.jpg

To cut a long story short after 3 hours on this fish and not even seeing colour Bruce's back gives in so he hands the rod to me! 3/4 hr later we get colour and it was some fish, I've caught quite a few fin before up to 60kg and this thing was easily bigger than any fish I had seen, it's sickles reached back as far as it's tail. :1yikes:

The flyer was ready with a fixed head as a back up and just as we get the trace clear of the water the leader let's go at the hook.

We we're disappointed but to be honest with you that fish fought so hard that it deserved it's freedom so at 6.00pm we turned the boat for home had a beer and talked about the one that got away!!! post-1271-1196405610_thumb.jpg

Sounds like that was one nice fin and a nice inutation back after so long out of it....

looked like a nice day on the water to put time in for a cube......

Just curious but this by chance wouldn't be Rod.... from "Tomahawk" the boat that was fitted with twin

rockets on the back from the old days gone past at SGFC.... sorry if that's not the case and i have you confused with some one else...

Cheers Warnie.....

G'day Steve,

yeah it's me I really lost interest in the game fish scene after selling the boat.

I still have great memories of the point score days at SGFC though.

look's like the new Ungry is just about bulletproof, kind of reminds me of Victors old boat Mungral.

I did like your centre cab Ungry though, I alway's envied your fuel bills back then! :1prop:

I will pm you soon for a proper chat.

Regard's Rod.

nice work guys!!!! Shame about the big fin!!!! We were out there today and it was pretty quiet, lots of bait jumping around at various times during the day but nothing seemed to be chasing them!!! we did manage 1 good dollie to 120cm though so it wasnt all bad. We also had what we think was a marlin come through and take a bibless minnow drop it then pull the band from the short rigger, drop it then pull the band from the long rigger drop that then had one screaming run on the shot gun but dropeed that as well!!!!!

hmmmmm there is always tomorrow!!!!

nice work guys!!!! Shame about the big fin!!!! We were out there today and it was pretty quiet, lots of bait jumping around at various times during the day but nothing seemed to be chasing them!!! we did manage 1 good dollie to 120cm though so it wasnt all bad. We also had what we think was a marlin come through and take a bibless minnow drop it then pull the band from the short rigger, drop it then pull the band from the long rigger drop that then had one screaming run on the shot gun but dropeed that as well!!!!!

hmmmmm there is always tomorrow!!!!

Hi Fishlexic,

what temp did you get at Brown's ? It got up to 22* when we were out there.

We didn't see any beakie action however there were heaps of dolphins and pilot whales working the area, no birds except muttons flying through.

We did see some small dollies when we were cubing though. Sound's like it was a nice one you got.

Good luck if you get out tomorrow.

Cheer's Rod.

Hi Fishlexic,

what temp did you get at Brown's ? It got up to 22* when we were out there.

We didn't see any beakie action however there were heaps of dolphins and pilot whales working the area, no birds except muttons flying through.

We did see some small dollies when we were cubing though. Sound's like it was a nice one you got.

Good luck if you get out tomorrow.

Cheer's Rod.

Hey rod we had better temps on the shelf!!!! we had about 23.2 on the shelf but could only manage 22.1 outside with the best temp break happening before the shelf so we should have stayed and worked that instead of heading out further perhaps.

Hmmm just checked the weather for today and its not looking that crash hot i can see a turn around before we get to far coming on this morning!!!!! :ranting2:

Just out of interest what temp did you pick up your fin in???? we have only managed good numbers of them in 19.8 degrees for the last few weeks, I think i feel a theory coming on.......but then again probably not!!!!

Edited by fishlexic

Hey Craig,

I hope you did make it out today.

We got all our fish around brown's in water bet 21.5 -22.0, we didn't find anything warmer.

Don't know about the water temp theory; I have heard it many times and I know of longliners who search for the so called magic temp of 20* before setting their gear.

I believe finding bait is more the key, we have caught fin trolling in water up to 25* and down to 19.5*.

The waters in Hawaii and Fiji rarely get below 23* and up to 28* and these places hold heaps of fin and big fish at that.

I'm sure other raiders will have their own opinions.

Cheer's Rod.

• 2 weeks later...

Top Report there Rod!!!

That rod ur mate has his saltiga has no guts in the ass of it from the looks. Pity about the fin but still nice to see you had a good day out wide along with sum niicceeee fish thrown in as well

Dan

Dan.

If it's a Saltiga Stick. It'll be a Parabolic. Bends all the way through. Not a Stroker type. They much easier to work with. Specially with bigger fish.

Macka17