Live Bait Tank

Mugen

Hi Guy,'s

Just thought I'd share some pics of my live bait tank that i'm putting together..

what do you guy's think...? hopefully fill it with bait this coming weekend and chase some Kings..

Added pic with a few Botany Bay Yakkas in the tank and happy as larry.. :thumbup:

post-4116-1196582471_thumb.jpg

post-4116-1196582485_thumb.jpg

post-4116-1196582502_thumb.jpg

post-4116-1205825447_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mugen

Mate that sure looks the goods,

where did you buy the barrel and fittings?

The barrel was purchased from a company in Smithfield called REFLEX (60 litre)

The outlet is just a sink fitting available at any boating shop as for the inlet set up

I machined those up myself with a piece of 20mm conduit running down inside.

Mugen

The barrel was purchased from a company in Smithfield called REFLEX (60 litre)

The outlet is just a sink fitting available at any boating shop as for the inlet set up

I machined those up myself with a piece of 20mm conduit running down inside.

Mugen

Thanks Mugen,

I'm not too far from Smithfield, will have to pay Reflex a visit.

Good luck on the Kings, let us know how the bait tank goes.

Stan.

top setup. The only thing I would probably do is put a 90deg bend on the inlet hose so the water has a circular motion.

Livies love it.

Thats a good point by heath

good setup mugen that will do very well keeping bait alive

Hi Mugen,

Can you tell me a bit more about the Rule pump?

In particular, where would you mount the pump in relation to the waterline?

How high above the waterline can it be mounted (I have concerns about it being self priming)

Also, does it still function while the boat is underway?

Cheers,

Jeff

Hi Mugen,

Can you tell me a bit more about the Rule pump?

In particular, where would you mount the pump in relation to the waterline?

How high above the waterline can it be mounted (I have concerns about it being self priming)

Also, does it still function while the boat is underway?

Cheers,

Jeff

Jeff this pump is not self priming so it must be mounted below the waterline..This is a thru transom pump which I will be setting up slightly different with my own pickup coming thru the transom then connecting to the pump....The pickup is designed to let the water flow whilst underway..The pump will only be used when stationary and I might also run it off a timer...

regards Chris

Jeff this pump is not self priming so it must be mounted below the waterline..This is a thru transom pump which I will be setting up slightly different with my own pickup coming thru the transom then connecting to the pump....The pickup is designed to let the water flow whilst underway..The pump will only be used when stationary and I might also run it off a timer...

regards Chris

Thx Chris,

Can you put up a picture of the pump and its mount location once you have it all installed?

I still cant work out how you will mount it so that it works both when stationary as well as when underway.

Jeff

yes! and because the pickup faces foreward into the water you dont even need the pump on whilst traveling it actually flow faster than normal (though i do leave mine on).

have also seen some members have their pump inside the hull with a stainless pickup connected to the back of the transom and running through the transom! not sure ut id say the pump and where the pickup enter the boat is below the waterline priming the pump!

Mugen

I made a similar one last year. One thing I did was to get one of those camping sleep mats from the $2 shop and wrap the middle section of the tank in a strip. You can easily cut it to fit fittings etc. It helps insulate the tank a bit especially if the sun is beating down on it all day. The one I used had a metal foil coating which really helps...although it can be a bit dazzling in the sun.

Cheers

Chris

Thx Chris,

Can you put up a picture of the pump and its mount location once you have it all installed?

I still cant work out how you will mount it so that it works both when stationary as well as when underway.

Jeff

Edited by Mugen

Hi Guy,'s

Just thought I'd share some pics of my live bait tank that i'm putting together..

what do you guy's think...? hopefully fill it with bait this coming weekend and chase some Kings..

Added pics of the pick up I manufacture ,Great for boats with two drian bungs,

post-4116-1197679052_thumb.jpg

post-4116-1197679072_thumb.jpg

post-4116-1197679090_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mugen

Hi Guy,'s

what do you guy's think...?

Hi Mugen..

Just out of interest what was your reasoning behind doing it the way you have......as opposed to doing it the

standard method say as Wildfish as shown....you have obviously put a fair bit of work into it.....and as i

said was just interested why you went that way....

My main concern for you would have to lay in the pickup...Judgeing by the picture i would have to say

that a fair volume of water would be forced up and through the pickup...particularly whilst underway...

so would like to suggest replacing that clear tube for some high pressure hose and adding

another clip to the fittings.....it is quite possible over the summer months the heat can soften the clear tube to

the point were it might keep blowing off....i say this only as coming from an out wide fishing

mentality.......that people like myself become very nervous with any thing that can allow water and worse

still that can be forced fed into the hull more so if you were unable to see it happening.....i realise

you are mainly fishing the harbour and as such is not as paramount.. but more for some one who might opt

for the same set up and apply it to a boat and venture way out wide...

Please don't take offence as none is intended as i can see your heart as gone into it....

Also after reading some of these posts i myself for example and i know i'm not fishing for king's................

but i do have bait tank's which are fed by rule 1100gph bait pump's i see the majority talk of useing the rule 500gph pump....

and other than a slightly bigger outlet hose the 1100gph pump fits the standard pickup bracket and

was wondering why a bit more than double the volume of water into the live bait tank would not be of a benifite in helping

in keeping the bait's refreshed and alive.....just a bit puzzled in that regard have i missed something

or is there another reason....

Cheers Warnie...

Hi Mugen..

Just out of interest what was your reasoning behind doing it the way you have......as opposed to doing it the

standard method say as Wildfish as shown....you have obviously put a fair bit of work into it.....and as i

said was just interested why you went that way....

My main concern for you would have to lay in the pickup...Judgeing by the picture i would have to say

that a fair volume of water would be forced up and through the pickup...particularly whilst underway...

so would like to suggest replacing that clear tube for some high pressure hose and adding

another clip to the fittings.....it is quite possible over the summer months the heat can soften the clear tube to

the point were it might keep blowing off....i say this only as coming from an out wide fishing

mentality.......that people like myself become very nervous with any thing that can allow water and worse

still that can be forced fed into the hull more so if you were unable to see it happening.....i realise

you are mainly fishing the harbour and as such is not as paramount.. but more for some one who might opt

for the same set up and apply it to a boat and venture way out wide...

Please don't take offence as none is intended as i can see your heart as gone into it....

Also after reading some of these posts i myself for example and i know i'm not fishing for king's................

but i do have bait tank's which are fed by rule 1100gph bait pump's i see the majority talk of useing the rule 500gph pump....

and other than a slightly bigger outlet hose the 1100gph pump fits the standard pickup bracket and

was wondering why a bit more than double the volume of water into the live bait tank would not be of a benifite in helping

in keeping the bait's refreshed and alive.....just a bit puzzled in that regard have i missed something

or is there another reason....

Cheers Warnie...

Hey Warnie

Thanks for you thoughts and no offence taken

I ended up going this way only because I did'nt want any hoses running down the back of the boat,just wanted to keep it nice and neat thats all..I have seen many boats with the same sort of setup ,I'll put up some pics of another setup.The hose you see in the pic was actually only for mockup,I have a roll of reinforced hose in the shed and will be used.

The photo was taken before I finished playing around with the pickup and there is a reducer which fits into the pipe thus reducing water flow/pressure..But even the pickups you buy for the pumps are a similar setup with the pipe facing foreward under the boat.

As for the pump I have taken note from a few raiders some use the 350gph pumps on 60L tanks and they have no troubles but they say they would probably go with the 500gph next time..

So after some thought I went with the 500gph and it is more than enough for my 60L/15.8 gal tank

They recommend that the pump be able to replace the water in your tank every 10 mins so in theory the 500gph will replace 83.3 gallons every 10 mins which is well over what I need so I will actually close the flow valve/tap off slightly to reduce flow..I could of used the 350gph which is still well over the flow rate that I need,but just decided to go the larger in case I added a second small tank etc...

As for your 1100gph pumps ,I'm not sure on the size of your tanks and they also might be regulated thru a flow valve which will reduce the amount of water flowing into your tanks..And if they are regulated they may only be flowing half the pump rating, depending how much they're controlled.

I've also used some quick connections on the hose where it connects to the bait tank for easy removal of the tank if you dont want it in the boat and also for washing down whilst on the water..

I have also installed a float valve for my bilge with an alarm which will sound if the bilge is operated just to let you know water is getting in..Not that it will :biggrin2: ..

Cheers :beersmile:

regards chris

post-4116-1197796093_thumb.jpg

post-4116-1197796110_thumb.jpg

Hey Warnie

Thanks for you thoughts and no offence taken

I ended up going this way only because I did'nt want any hoses running down the back of the boat,just wanted to keep it nice and neat thats all..I have seen many boats with the same sort of setup ,I'll put up some pics of another setup.The hose you see in the pic was actually only for mockup,I have a roll of reinforced hose in the shed and will be used.

The photo was taken before I finished playing around with the pickup and there is a reducer which fits into the pipe thus reducing water flow/pressure..But even the pickups you buy for the pumps are a similar setup with the pipe facing foreward under the boat.

As for the pump I have taken note from a few raiders some use the 350gph pumps on 60L tanks and they have no troubles but they say they would probably go with the 500gph next time..

So after some thought I went with the 500gph and it is more than enough for my 60L/15.8 gal tank

They recommend that the pump be able to replace the water in your tank every 10 mins so in theory the 500gph will replace 83.3 gallons every 10 mins which is well over what I need so I will actually close the flow valve/tap off slightly to reduce flow..I could of used the 350gph which is still well over the flow rate that I need,but just decided to go the larger in case I added a second small tank etc...

As for your 1100gph pumps ,I'm not sure on the size of your tanks and they also might be regulated thru a flow valve which will reduce the amount of water flowing into your tanks..And if they are regulated they may only be flowing half the pump rating, depending how much they're controlled.

I've also used some quick connections on the hose where it connects to the bait tank for easy removal of the tank if you dont want it in the boat and also for washing down whilst on the water..

I have also installed a float valve for my bilge with an alarm which will sound if the bilge is operated just to let you know water is getting in..Not that it will :biggrin2: ..

Cheers :beersmile:

regards chris

Sounds like you have put some thought into it there chris......so i'm sure if something is not to your likeing

you will adopt another method that will be to your likeing....in my regards my bait tanks are 150 litres more than double

the volume you are refering to so i figure 1100's would be par for course.....i guess i get a tad

paronoid when a lot of time can be involved in getting bait to see it die due to insuficent exchange of water

during the day or in the trip out......hence the faster and quicker i can replace the water more so the better is my way of thinking....but in fairness to you as i said i am

not fishing for kingy's and most times the slimey's i'm refering to will be of the horse variety and they can be quite

tempramental to any thing other than lot's of fresh clean water......Chris my concern in the pickup was not for the sealing as such

in allowing water in....but more so for the possibility of running over something and ripping the pickup off the back of the boat due to a submerged object...ie;

a floating log or a fish trap while being 20 mile out resulting in it being difficult to stem the ingress of water with it being below the water line

i guess i would just have to carry a rubber stopper that i could belt in the hole if that were to arrise....

as i said just an outside mentality way of thinking in regards to a question of yes "but what if."....with some thing....... that on most account's will most likely never happen.....Hope you have it all up and running soon and you get amongst them with a vengence

and hope to read all about it in the report's.......

Cheers Warnie...

howdy folks this might be another option for your pick ups ,i run an attwood trough hull pump which comes out of the transom i screwed a right angle fitting on it and instead off using a steel or alluminum pick up i have used a bit off hose with the bottom cut at an angle so if you do clip something in the water the hose will just pull off ,hasnt happened yet been using this setup since 2001 with no dramas if any one interested i will post a pick

arman

heres the photo and as ungry warnie sugested i carry a couple of tapered cone bung things to belt into a hole just in case the s t hits the fan,i also have a ballvalve connected directly to the pump on the in

side of the transom just in case a hose splits

anyway heres the pick the hose is loosly sit ing on the fitting as in you can move by hand

post-5893-1198225445_thumb.jpg

Agree with principle of not having additional holes below the waterline in your boat.

I needed a bar in front of the outlet (outlet looks a tad small - I use double overflows on a rule 360) as southern squid tend to to block the outlet for you.

Circular water motion is a must, and a darker tank is better.

thats my 2 bob worth after buiding about 5 versions over 3 tinnies.

and have a spare pump available - nothing worse than being offshore and your live baits dying.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Guy,'s

Tank looks great, I've built three versions over the last four weks trying to get it right, and i'm getting close now. One problem you may find is your tank might siphon back through the inlet pipe unless you have a oneway valve. For this reason I have my inlet at the same level as the out let, and If I want to direct water downways I can add an elbow, not that I have needed to.My livies stay so happy I wonder if they prefer it to the ocean :1prop: . I use a 64L esky and a 500 gallon pump, works a treat.!

:1welcomeani: to FishRaider King slayer

I had that problem, just drill a 1/8th hole in the inlet pipe inside of the tank (NOTE-:not a hole in the tank)and when it sucks, your

syphon suction is gone due to air in line . If water comes out of the hole in the tank who cares as thats where it needs to go.