warnie

South West Rock's At Xmas....

Hi all...

it's fast approuching that time of the year again were at xmas myself like a lot of others

hit the road and travel to greener pastures...

In my case south west rocks being the destination of choice...For those of you who have experianced

south west rocks it need's no introduction....

For those that are just starting out or whose first marlin alludes them this place would have to be high on the

list of most likely of place's to be able to achieve such.....

It never stops to amaze me of just how many fisherman with there own boat have not been able to achieve there hopes and dreams

of there first marlin untill they have tried there...every xmas i have great delight in taking out my family or

friends and watching with a grin from ear to ear when a rod goes off and my . :wife: or one of the kids

get to to do battle with one of the little black marlin....and being within so close proximity to the shore....

The sight of olympic size bait schools with marlin swimming through them is a sight that never diminishes

no matter how many times you see it....and when the 10kg outfit screams to life and whoever which one

of the kids turns it is to achieve that experiance....whilst i run around getting barked at with 50

differant orders telling me were to go, how to drive,whilst trying to evade other boats,or the breakwall

at the same time attempting to video the event so it can be shown for there school show and tell......

and when they have had enough a short ride to simply drop them off at the beach is all it takes

so that us big boys can go back out and play.....

oh yes!!!!!!! the word on the grapevine is....... it is a great place...so if you see me up there at xmas

say hello.......

One word of caution..... s.w.rocks does involve crossing a bar please treat with the upmost of respect

and caution talk to experianced fisherman and or seek local knowledge and check on weather and conditions before crossing and if in doubt don't go.....

Cheers Warnie...

Yes it should be very good once again warnie

i have been going there for 31years now and love the place

as warnie has said please be careful on that bar heading out

see you there warnie :thumbup:

Heard the rocks isnt to bad for some monster cobes to!!!!!

Heard the rocks isnt to bad for some monster cobes to!!!!!

Yes they had a great run last season gone....reminds me of the perils of fishing!!!!!!!!!

if having a small boat and crossing the bar is not enough i took a mate to the area and left him to his

own devices he was in a quintrex 18' approx when i see him hook up to his first cobia as you can imagine

the two of them on the boat were estatic the cobia was around 18kg after gaffing the fish he must of killed it

in the process as it lay motionless on the gaff so while he held it there the other guy started to take a pic....

this is were it goes pear shaped for a hole half the size of his boat opened up and the head of a shark ate the cobia and the gaff while he was holding it for the pic....Sheer Panic took over as this was one of them

gaff's which has a lanyard attached to it in turn to his wrist (didnt want to loose his grip)

as fear took over whether he was going to get pulled overboard in the water or his arm ripped out of his socket......the actual gaff head straightened releasing all involved needless to say all were relieved

we joke about it now when we see each other for he mounted the gaff on his wall with the pic taken at that moment which shows nothing but spray.....but now when i tell him to take care with the bar..he says warnie

thats not what im worried about....... the shark since has grown to about the size of the one of jaws....but i can say with all confidence it was

no little fella and just goes to show dont go dipping your toes in were they don't belong...

Cheers Warnie..

Hey Warnie

That gaff story is amazing!! Loved it.

I should be in SWR for a week from the 5th Jan.

It's a very special place. Can't wait to get there.

As for the bar there, your warning is extremely appropriate!

For anyone intending to cross any bar, please talk to the locals and listen to their advice.

Cheers

Peter

This will be my first trip up to swr. Can't wait :1prop: Shane is taking his jet ski and has just added 2 rod holders to give the blues a go.

This will be my first trip up to swr. Can't wait :1prop: Shane is taking his jet ski and has just added 2 rod holders to give the blues a go.

So that's what happens when you wait for a boat to be built

is shane one keen or mad fisho or what. :1prop:

that is going to lend its self to some great video footage........ either which is going to

be great viewing on u tube....

or at the very least win me a great prize.......... when i show it on funniest home video.........

i cant wait and have the video prep'ed and waiting

will shane be haveing a bait tank on the jet ski or will the bait be hand delivered????

nudge just to clarify he said blues did he not say like outwide over the shelf blues

is that his train of thought or closer to the jail grounds for little blacks....

either way it will provide no shortage of excitement when one of them rod's bend over

Do they make a two seater ????????

i'm all ears on this one

Cheers Warnie.....

hey warnie why dont you tell the whole bloody world about my favourite fishin spot...bob

You wont get me near SWR at XMAS. Too bloody busy and too many holidaymakers. However each to their own. Enjoy.

Cheers BART :1fishing1:

Awesome place but has become increasingly crowded over the past 6-10 years or so. I always wait until after school holidays have finished and head up around mid feb and you can get a great mix with late season marlin and hopefully some early season spotties and spaniards. With the water that is heading down the coast and pushing hard in around the rocks it should be a good start to the year.

All the best to those who are lucky enough to visit the rocks.

You wont get me near SWR at XMAS. Too bloody busy and too many holidaymakers. However each to their own. Enjoy.

Cheers BART :1fishing1:

Unfortunently bart....for me xmas is the only time of the year when holidays can be organised for all

concerneded with family etc....but in all honesty i have found that up there to be no differant from any

other holiday destination at that time of the year the best of a bad bunch so to speak..

Coff's, Ballina Yamba etc,......

i once tried Port Stephens at xmas now that's what i would call busy......

although that's the benifite of owning a boat once out on the wild blue yonder....

there is a hell of a lot of it and quite often only get to see one or two boats at best

have thought of staying home in Sydney but it just dosen't seem to hold the same appeal......

the possibilities of heading south crosses my mind.....but the thought of the fickle weather throw's me.....

any suggestions on good holiday destinations any one?????

Cheers Warnie...

Hi Warnie,

Half your luck mate going up to the Rocks for Xmas.Great spot,great fishing and I really enjoy it up there. However being at the grumpy old man stage ,I prefer to go up there when it is a quiet .Then I can enjoy my fishing more and keep my stress levels at an acceptable level. Hoping to catch up with NOISY next year up there.

You have a good Xmas

Cheers BART. :1fishing1:

quote ungry warnie

Unfortunently bart....for me xmas is the only time of the year when holidays can be organised for all

concerneded with family etc....

........i once tried Port Stephens at xmas now that's what i would call busy......

......the possibilities of heading south crosses my mind.....but the thought of the fickle weather throw's me.....

any suggestions on good holiday destinations any one?????

Cheers Warnie...

....................................................................................................................................................

Hey Warnie.

I know where you're coming from here Stevan with the likes of SWR, Port, Coffs, Narooma, Bermi at holiday time getting busier and more expensive every year ......I'd stick to the north for mid summer consistency. Even the north easterly days when you can't go offshore are better than the southerlies and the cold and rain down south.

You know something Steve, I think Ballina and Lennox has a quieter atmosphere and it's nice, relaxed and colourful up there over the Christmas holidays as is Mallacouta and the Eden, Green Cape, Wonboyn area. The reason is the distances from Sydney and from Melbourne respectively. Brisbane people give the Gold Coast a miss and holiday on the Sunshine Coast and Noosa area. Adjacent country people on holiday give Ballina a miss and head for the Gold Coast, Iluka and Yamba.

Ever thought of having a good relaxing holiday in sleepy old Harrington Steve? Wide off Crowdy will suit and your game fishing could well be an eye opener, you'll get good results around the reefs. The Crowdy co/op boys are are a pretty good lot of operators.

If the north easterlies hang in and do happen to build up, there is plenty of other good fishing available. A quick trip to Old Bar for a nightime deep gutter session fishing only livies is legendary for bigger jew or a 4wd along the sands inside Manning Point where you walk out and stand still to get your whiting and flathead around the burley.

There's a Caravan Park at Harrington on the lagoon behind the breakwall at the end of the township within walking distance of the Harrington Hotel. The Hotel is a good family oriented set up with a public jetty alongside which is a top but run up tide flathead spot (run up because of the gantry opening to the sea opposite the jetty - the rocks inside the gantry are legendary for big blackfish and flathead fly thru the opening hittng everything at once but they hit up high in the water at speed in the fast running water coming thru the gantry) The hotel is not far from the bowling club, the other main attraction. They both have top dining rooms, subsidised food and the best seafood at good prices even at holiday times. Of course you can always get adjourning rooms for peanuts at Bob's Harrington motel where I stayed almost every year for a week at a time. Bob has a little old courtesy boat and I used to check his crabs traps for him for a lend of the little boat and fish off the oysters leases at Croki. By the way you han drive up to Croki in 10 minutes and get oysters in thre shell direct off the oyster farms for about $6 a dozen, seven days a week!

The only other motel is the Breakwater. A single story older style accomodation (looked like painted up shearing sheds but has a nice comfortable set up inside) and is owned by a chap called Peter. It's also family operated and from memory it was only $70 a night for a double and a single at Christmas time.

I think the Harrington motels are so cheap because not many holiday makers go there, mainly people staying with their retired parents in town and at the canal estates in Harrington Waters. Taree motels always have vacancies and also cost peanuts due to the town being bi passed by the freeway

There is just so much you can do in day around Harrington. The women can enjoy shopping for specials in Taree and generally prices are cheap to suit the area and they cater for the brokies who live up there. For example a short back and sides would only cost you or me about nine bucks for a year's supply of haircuts in one hit and only a band aid or two. :D

The last time I stayed at SWR was in January this year on the way back from Bundaberg and Ballina with a friend I call Paul Angler. We stayed at Trial Bay tourist park in an old red Ford F100 with a lwb slide on trailer. We stayed in Marlin Way not far from a bloke who had a brand new F300 towing a new looking Four Winds deep V - I think the boat was from memory. There was a deep sea tournament starting on the Saturday. There were a lot of deep sea blokes staying up there. Where you up there then Steve? I didn't know your boat in January or any other raiders either, and none till June this year.

Cheers Steve and this might be a chance for some good deep sea isometrics, a bit of arm wrestling ay?, good family relaxation, nice outings to Taree and cheap shopping and a bit of a hairstyle for the women, good family get togethers at the hotel and the bowling club right on the waterfront, nice blue water too, and what about this one Steve - a sit back and relax for a jew off the breakwall, along the gantry section, casting into the swirling gutters inside the breakers coming into the Manning for the run up and the top down too!

Cheers

Steve I hope this information helps you and I recommend a holiday in Harrington for you to do what your best at, and something else for a change that has a nice difference to SWR.

I will be stopping off at Harrington and SWR for a day or two in January on my way to Goondiwindi and back to Ballina until the 22th Jan and also for two or three days on the way home.

Look for a guy with a walking stik gaff combo with a little boy also under a blue FR cap.

Regards

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

We will be pleased to catch up at SWR and anyone going by the Ballina main wharf who sees a daytime jetty mute fishing for bait next to a kid on a Monday or a Tuesday morning come over and say hello :D

Edited by jewgaffer

Ever thought of having a good relaxing holiday in sleepy old Harrington Steve? Wide off Crowdy will suit and your game fishing could well be an eye opener, you'll get good results around the reefs.

There were a lot of deep sea blokes staying up there. Where you up there then Steve? I didn't know your boat in January or any other raiders either, and none till June this year.

Hmmm Jewgaffer....

you have a nibble there.....for sleepy Harrington sounds like a place on the coast of interest in me haveing a look at....

a differant change of the scenery sounds like the go.......... and i have heard talk off some of the boys about the reefs holding a healthy

population of recognised bread & butter species....

I stay at trial bay tourist park at chrissie also as well and over the years have got to know most of the boats that stay there that fish for the same likes and dislikes as myself and that sort of group all leave at around

the time as the next group roll's in i suspect this would of been around that time that you refer to... for you couldn't miss

my tent for every one who knows me refers to the abode as the "grizwarnes"......as referance to chevy chase.....i may stay in a tent but dead set

it includes every known luxury that's been invented by man.....part of the reason its the only way i can get my family to stay there for im hardly home because im off fishing most of the time.....and an excuse to take the boat away

with me so as i can get all the gear up there........but not this year i have decided to step up in the world and

didge the tent and go for up market accomodation....like a solid roof over my head....

so i will keep my eyes open for you and hope to say hello.....and anyone else for that matter...

thanks for the reply jewgaffer....

Cheers Warnie...