Springand Thimble Or Plastic Tubing

Hi guys

Was at the local tackle store the other day stocking up on terminal tackle hooks, leader, sampo's, crimps etc

I was trying to decide weather to buy plastic tubing or springs and thimbles...soo i bought some of each.

Is one of them better than the other?

Which do you prefer for live baiting and trolling lures springs/thimbles or plastic tubing?

I will take some photos of my rigging when i get a chance and post them to show how i do it.

cheers james

Cool. My first post...we use armour springs for anything over 24kg and jigging in any tackle class. It forms a nice radius loop and provides best chafe resistance. Placcie tube is great for lighter line classes & cubing as its less visible. You cant go wrong with crimps provided the outer edges of the sleeve are untouched.

Hope that helps!

i always leave a ML or 2 on the edges of the crimp.

cheers james

HMMMMMM no one has told me about this 2mm thing yet???? Is this so the line doesnt rub on the edge of the crimp or something??? If so i think ill be recrimping some lures!!!!!!

Hi guys

Was at the local tackle store the other day stocking up on terminal tackle hooks, leader, sampo's, crimps etc

I was trying to decide weather to buy plastic tubing or springs and thimbles...soo i bought some of each.

Is one of them better than the other?

Which do you prefer for live baiting and trolling lures springs/thimbles or plastic tubing?

I will take some photos of my rigging when i get a chance and post them to show how i do it.

cheers james

Hi James...thought i might just give you my 2 cents worth

The important part of the question "is one of them better than the other"

one thing that we all hate to see after putting so much effort into hooking a marlin

and i presume that is your intention is to see it all terminated very quickly by tackle failure....

make no mistake about it if there is a weakness in your tackle to exploite it will show it

and after it happens and all the finger pointing and shaking of the heads as settled down inspection of what's left leads you to an answer to what has transpired...yes i have been through it many a time....

needless to say i use chaff tube...what ant mentioned about the spring is a relevant point i also can add through

experiance that when pressure is applied to your trace the trace stretches..........

That little bit between the top of the crimp and the bottom end of the thimble stretches also

to the point were under pressure if the fish was to do a 90 degree turn its possible for enough leverage to be applied to cut the leader clean through at that point...

in live baiting with out giving to many tricks away i will say...You will find you will have a much better result if you down size your leaders.........

i drop to 100 lb trace and less if need be... bearing in mind i use circles... chaff tube on the loop as

mentioned and i use Yo-Zuri double sleeve crimps nbr 2 if i remember correctly applied with the appropriate power presser

and a lumo bead is neatly slid over all crimps so they are not exposed.......this serves to lower the overall bulkiness and visibility factor

substantially over say a jinkai crimp.......and your hook up rate will improve substatially.......

sorry about getting all technical on you but if any thing is unclear and i can be off help then let me know....

Cheers Warnie....

Thanks heaps guys

Learning off you all once again.....iv mainly been using the chaff tubes as i find they are easier to work with.....yet to experience how effective they are though....hopefully soon i will find out.

cheers james

• 1 month later...

i just thought i would ask the question "how many times have you guy's run your lures with no chafe protection ? did you experience any chafe in the leader loops when you did?"

personally i have pulled lures for the last ten years or so and am yet to see any chafe on hook or swivel end loops. i have experienced some lures that will chafe the leader were it enters the head (mainly on jetheads or big plunger/kona heads ) i tend to think that anti-chafe gear was invented by tackle shop owners and us fisherman have mostly just used it out of habit.?

mate to be honest i wouldnt take the risk.

where you use this protective layer is a high point of risk of chafe and or breakage.

with gamefish they will find your weakpoints in your gear very very quickly.

i know before every trip out i check and recheck and check my gear some more extremely thoroughly before i go. just to prevent it all going sour.

i actually enjoy going through all the gear!

but i wouldnt compromise a maybe once in a life time fish if it jumps on for the sake of saving a couple of bucks on an armour spring.

as we all know gamefishing is at the expensive end of the fishing ladder, may as well spend that little extra for peace of mind ;)

Col

Edited by djmac

your right . it's an expnsive sport , a grand roughly for a decent outfit 60 to 120 bucks for your average lure + line + leader + hooks +swivel etc etc not to mention the price of diesel (god help us) but were do you draw the line? i guess it's a small expense and if it gives you a little extra peace of mind it's probably worth the xtra 50c. Though i tend to think if you have been pulling a lure long enough to chafe through the leader without getting a fish on it you'd be better to spend the money one a new lure!

cheers Dave

I wouldnt use a thimble on the swivel end of the leader.

Armoured spring, or clear plastic chaffing tube is more than adequate. If snugged up tighly and crimped correctly your leader will never make contact with the swivel.

Plus dont think anyone here runs sand paper over their sampo swivels to make them abraisive enough to chew through armoured spring.

I seen thimbals get wedged on sampo's and twist out of the leader, only moments before the leader let go. an Armoured spring or chafe tube cant get wedged on a swivel, nor can it ever twist out.

Each to their own I guess

Chris

Hi Chris,

Even if done correctly and tight as tight can be, the natural stretch in the mono can cause the armour spring to relax and give the swivel the oppurtunity to pass through the spring and commence rubbing on the leader. It will only be a matter of time before it breaks through as once in there, it will very rarely pop back out- belive me I have seen it happen with my own eyes on 2 seperate occasions, particularly when under heavy drag pressure.

I am toying with the idea of combinging the 2. I will let you know how I go.

Cheers

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

I'm not sure what (brand?) leader material you've had issues with in the past, but the stretch factor of lets say 200-400lb mono over the space of 4cm (roughly the amount required to make the loop) is so minimal its almost non-existant. Keep in mind if you are getting that much stretch over 4cm worth of loop, how much strech are you getting over the other 10-14 foot of leader?

I've used quite a few different leader materials and none have had the amount of stetch over the loop to allow the leader direct access to the swivel. Also if the leader does have that amount of stetch it will just as easily pop out a thimble that gets caught up in a snap.

On our lures we use clear tubing, or armoured spring. what evers available, for use on tackle up to and including 37kg. We've opened up a 10/0 Mustad (light guage) sunsetted on 37kg without damaging the armoured spring or leader connection.

On our live baiting rigs, we don't run any sort of protection for the leader. the mono gets doubled over and fed back down the crimp. again with this rig we've done alot of fish (well over 50) including some okay ones pushing 150kg without any issues, and thats with Zero protection. Some fights going for close to 3 hours, and 90% of the fights on sunset 24kg.

Keep in mind that these are disposable rigs and are only ever used for 1 fish.

Hope this doesnt throw too bigger a spanner in the works, but I figured its all worth mentioning.

Chris

post-192-1199882312_thumb.jpg