Robbielites

Game Fishing For Beginners

Hi all,

I would love to get into game fishing, but know absolutely zero.

I realise it is something you have to do over years to be proficient at and that you need to throw time and money at it to get results. But hey we all have to start some where.

Can any one suggest a starting point? Must read books, DVDs you swear by, basic tips for the beginner. Things you would do differently if you were starting out in the sport. etc, etc.

Cheers.

Robbie.

Mate iv learnt asking questions to other raiders has helped me HEAPS...with out fishraider id be clueless.

Theres no such thing as a silly question....just remember that....a wise person told me that recently.

Cheers james

P.S iv heard that peter pakulas between the lines dvd/instructional video is a must have.

James is correct Robbie, if you start with going through the entire Between the lines CD, it will give you a massive insight in to what game fishing is all about.

hmmmmm

I have heard this as well, its kinda steep to buy though..... robbie if you are going to buy it see if we can get it anywere cheaper for 2 at once!!!!!

Will be watching this thread as I'm very interested to get into this in the future.

zero experience here :wacko:

Thanks for you responses guys :)

Robbie.

hmmmmm

I have heard this as well, its kinda steep to buy though..... robbie if you are going to buy it see if we can get it anywere cheaper for 2 at once!!!!!

Craig,

I just rang around a few places for zip!

Apparently the original is a few years old and is a CD rom, but there is a newer version coming out with the new range that is a DVD. Tony is getting it in some time before Chrissy, so I will follow it up in a couple of weeks and let you know how I go :)

Robbie.

Mate there are some real Game fishing Gurus as members here....Keepin Tabs, Ungry Warnie and of course Ross Hunter...These guys can really help you out...

Also chat to members Like Reel Addiction and Offtap, these guys started game fishing less then 18 months ago and now have notch up some awesome catches of Marlin and YFT...

Hi Mate, Peter Pakula has a website that has a few interesting articles on Game Fishing also Alaistar McGlashan strikzon series of DVDs should also be a help he also has a website I hope this is of use to you. Regards Pappy

Edited by pappy1

[quote name='Robbielites' date='Dec 4 2007, 10:51 PM' post='210089

I would love to get into game fishing, but know absolutely zero.

, basic tips for the beginner.

Cheers.

Robbie.

Hi Robbie

A basic tip i would like to offer in regards to when you go gamefishing is that you will find

the gamefish plait to be the prefererred knot for forming a double line

and is high on the list of choice by many of us...

i did not notice it on the section on knots above and i presume it will be shown by instruction on the dvd's that have been recomended by others however in regards to the plait.....my advise to you robbie would

be to get with a mate for a short session and instruction first hand on the procedure as its so much

easier to pick up....especially the tightness required in maintaining the plait effectivaly which is allways

a bone of conjecture with who ever is experimenting in useing for the first time...

you will quickly become efficent with doing it with a bit of practise and has i said remains a preferred knot

by most for forming a double.....i know you said basic but was unsure to how far back basic to refer to

or zero info known required....if you require suggested lengths of the plait then hollow and myself or someone can post them for you...

Cheers Warnie.....

Hey mate, rather than buying the CD you can access and read the Between the Lines CD online here:

http://www.pakula.com.au/BTL/Docs/000%20Index.html

If you go to that link you will see that some of the sections say 'yes' to being online, however you will find you can access all of them. Have a read, it might not have all the stuff on the CD, but it is an awesome start.

Daniel

Mate, I have learnt heaps from you and can suggest a couple of things

As was suggested by captain swordy, time on the water.

Establish a connection with some old timers, I used to drool at their boats at the wharves and offer to carry their equipment back to their car, help wash down their boats etc. after a couple of weeks their suspicions about you trying to get a free ride led to deck handing every now and then (always unpaid - maybe a few fish), and then I really started to learn and work.

I targetted particular people and was open and honest about what I was doing, old blokes love to talk, and I loved to listen. They always caught fish, they would feel the conditions on the way out and target a particular species because of the way the palm trees were moving earlier that morning.

That was fifteen or twenty years ago, now I struggle to tie knots.

If you can't afford a charter every second week think outside the square

. . . may the force be with you

Derek

Mate, I have learnt heaps from you and can suggest a couple of things

As was suggested by captain swordy, time on the water.

Establish a connection with some old timers, I used to drool at their boats at the wharves and offer to carry their equipment back to their car, help wash down their boats etc. after a couple of weeks their suspicions about you trying to get a free ride led to deck handing every now and then (always unpaid - maybe a few fish), and then I really started to learn and work.

I targetted particular people and was open and honest about what I was doing, old blokes love to talk, and I loved to listen. They always caught fish, they would feel the conditions on the way out and target a particular species because of the way the palm trees were moving earlier that morning.

That was fifteen or twenty years ago, now I struggle to tie knots.

If you can't afford a charter every second week think outside the square

. . . may the force be with you

Derek

Robbie,

It is now 42 years since I caught my first marlin and from that point I fell in love with the pursuit of these amazing fish. I have fished the top end in the days when 1.5 metre barra where the norm. Cairns when thousand pounders were plentiful and many other exotic play grounds throughout the world,but nothing matches the thrill of a wild striped on medium tackle flying ever skyward behind my boat and you do not have to travel overseas to experience that as we have some of the best marlin fishing on our doorstep. Every day there is something you learn about techniques and improving your skills. Modern technoligy has played a major role colour sounders, GPS, faster more sea worthy vessels etc.

No book can teach any angler how to be an expert, the real deal is getting out there after having read books and practise the skills, make a few mistakes, that is how you learn.

It is a lifetime experience that you can build a collage of wonderful memories from. There will be days when everthing goes wrong and days when you cannot do a thing wrong.

It's all part of the wonderful world of marlin fishing

My tip "Keep panic to a minimum"

Good Luck in your pusuit.

Roscoe

Hi guys,

im very interested in this thread as well. I know im not there yet but in a couple of years im hoping to be up there getting into some game. What would be the absolute minimum boat and motor you would start out game fishing in?

I only have a little 4.7m Aluminium with 40hp on it now but in a couple of years ill be upgrading so I want to know now what id be looking at paying. Im not looking to get into the best thing money can buy just something to start out.

Before that time comes ill be taking more charters, learning, asking questions and gaining more confidence.

Any help is appreciated.

Dan

Hi guys,

im very interested in this thread as well. I know im not there yet but in a couple of years im hoping to be up there getting into some game. What would be the absolute minimum boat and motor you would start out game fishing in?

I only have a little 4.7m Aluminium with 40hp on it now but in a couple of years ill be upgrading so I want to know now what id be looking at paying. Im not looking to get into the best thing money can buy just something to start out.

Before that time comes ill be taking more charters, learning, asking questions and gaining more confidence.

Any help is appreciated.

Dan

Hey dan no regrets the boat i go out on a fair bit is a 660 trailcraft with a 4 stroke 150 on the back and outriggers, We do see a few smaller boats out there when were out in the wide blue yonder but even in trailcraft it can be a little un nearving when the swell and the wind pick up together. It can make for a long ride home if your out past the shelf. It also depends a bit on how wide you want to fish, i am told that quite a few marlin are pulled in each year only a few km's off the coast from various locations in sydney. Clifford hooked his first ever marlin by the sydney harbour fad a few years ago so it depends on the what the water is doing!!!!

Hope that helps a little mate!!!! Im new to the game myself so im sure there will be plenty of other more insightfull posts!