Marine Park For Sydney

pjbink

Who is this National Parks Association? They have nothing to do with the NSW Government or the National Parks and Wildlife Service.

I think they could well be another looney greeny mob who have given themselves an official sounding name so that people think they have some authority.

They are a conservation organisation. They are not an arm government, but they could be receiving government funding. I know the Nature Conservation Council (NCC) recieves government funding. They get positions on various government committees. These groups can't be ignored as a looney mob given that they have been pretty good at getting their own way.

greetings fishraiders

I would have to agree with the fisheries. I like the idea of making bigger "no go" zones only because

I went fishing with a mate for the first time on a boat. I told them its was illegal

to keep undersized fish but he caught and kept bucket loads. This was in botany bay, where there wasnt 1 section of the bay that wasnt covered by people fishing. How many of them where catching undersized fish??? Time and time again ive witnessed fishraiders post pics of a fishing outting (1 person) coming back with like ten fish or more. I would just like to ask how many fish does it take to catch for it to be enough. This post, this debate.... i just want to say its contradictive (if all fishos get together, the state wont no what to do) to me thats why this debate is going. There is way to many of us. Take for instance how many disagree with what the japanese are doing with whaling? 100% of us?? So that would make 99.9% of us hipocrits. All fishos are "over fishers". I would like a safe sanctury for fish in the bays, estuarys and harbours. I dont care if these organisations linked with national parks and wildlife etc but all i care about making it fair for everyone and introducing "no go" zones to serve a purpose so that the next generation can do what we love to do! GO FISHING!!

:05::1welcomeani: to the new world we have made for our selves

the brush

There's nothing wrong with the fishing in Botany Bay after at least 150 years of commercial and (now only) recreational fishing. Anyone taking undersized fish there will be caught eventually as fisheries inspectors are active.

We are talking about fish - not whales. They are extremely fecund and most are fast growing. Natural levels of predation are very high. Fishermen are just another snout in the trough. There is not much risk winding back fishing effort if signs of overfishing appear. We can certainly do better than seriously damaging our ability to go fishing by locking up productive grounds forever. As Prof Burton points out if the fishing level is a threat we are better off tackling it head on with the many tools available to fisheries managers.

Many marine biologists regard degradation such as pollution and reclaimation of mangroves and other habitat as a bigger threat to marine biodiversity than fishing. Most of us like living in cities and having jobs so this to some extent is tough luck. Green zones will do nothing about this.

Also any substantial fishing effort will lead to a reduction in fish stocks. This does not mean they are in terminal decline or that 'there will be no fish left for our kids' . The population dynamics mean that under fishing pressure recruits benifit from less predation from larger fish and less competition for food. Maximum sustainable yeild for marine fish is usually attained when 30 - 40 % of the stock is left compared to the unfished state. They can be harvested at this level indefinitely. Also it is well known that fish wise up to angling methods and therefore our catches aren't always a good guide to abundance.

evening raiders

i agree with at every ramp around highly populated cities and erea's should be policed with boom gates

and about 4 officers cotinuisly inspecting each boats catch when they exit the ramp. and to majority

of us. fishing is a hobby not a living. so i agree with a 5 fish bag limit per fisho. us fishos out penrith area

are use to catch and relise program. so we can the next day catch him again and again and again

its all part of the fun and meaning of the sport "" Fishing."" So 100% of use fisho's like to eat our fish fresh so why dont we promote catch what we need and then catch and release its not to hard to do. so then the fish will come back in droves.

:thumbup::thumbup:

the brush

evening raiders

i agree with at every ramp around highly populated cities and erea's should be policed with boom gates

and about 4 officers cotinuisly inspecting each boats catch when they exit the ramp. and to majority

of us. fishing is a hobby not a living. so i agree with a 5 fish bag limit per fisho. us fishos out penrith area

are use to catch and relise program. so we can the next day catch him again and again and again

its all part of the fun and meaning of the sport "" Fishing."" So 100% of use fisho's like to eat our fish fresh so why dont we promote catch what we need and then catch and release its not to hard to do. so then the fish will come back in droves.

the brush

Nice idea about policing ramps. But unfortunately, like the people who hide their buckets of undersized fish in their cars and come back for more, it will be just as easy for people in boats to stop off at other places on the way to the ramps to drop their illegal catches off before going through the boom gates. Also if you think it's viable to do this, think again. How many illegal catches go undetected now because the fisheries don't put enough resources behind it? I've been fishing around the wharves of the inner city for about five or so years and I've seen a fisheries inspector once and the only reason I think that guy appeared was because the poor residents of Mosman would have pushed for it at Taronga Zoo wharf. He turned up with a council guy and I was booked $110 for fishing on that wharf. My licence was OK but they got me anyway for fishing on the wharf. They meant business that night.

evening raiders

the brush

Nice idea about policing ramps. But unfortunately, like the people who hide their buckets of undersized fish in their cars and come back for more, it will be just as easy for people in boats to stop off at other places on the way to the ramps to drop their illegal catches off before going through the boom gates. Also if you think it's viable to do this, think again. How many illegal catches go undetected now because the fisheries don't put enough resources behind it? I've been fishing around the wharves of the inner city for about five or so years and I've seen a fisheries inspector once and the only reason I think that guy appeared was because the poor residents of Mosman would have pushed for it at Taronga Zoo wharf. He turned up with a council guy and I was booked $110 for fishing on that wharf. My licence was OK but they got me anyway for fishing on the wharf. They meant business that night.

g-day all if anybody else witnessed the fisheries officers on botany bay about two weeks ago im sure you too were proud to see where our license money is being spent. two fisheries officers flying around the bay on brand new jet skis. some might think this is a more cost effective way for them to get around. however after watching them play on their new toys for over 40 minutes & not check myself or any of the twenty or more boats nearby you really have to wonder about how badly our money is being wasted.

No doubt they could better enforce the existing rules if they redirected the money wasted on unecessary marine parks. The many milions spent on bureaucrats, boats, park rangers and PR could also be directed at fighting pollution and degragation or go into fisheries research or stocking programs.