Probably A Stupid Question

Novicefisherman

Question

mate dont feel sad about letting him go....

for me definite juvenile king.......

check out that dorsal fin shape and the slight yellow stripe down body and shape of the head......

was that you fishing the headland with another fisho sunday morning just after sunrise...

if so that was me trolling along the front....

was a very quiet morning...was some small school sounding out front but not playing fair...

i didnt turn a reel all morning so you did better than me....

cheers... steve.....

Edited by roosterman

Hi Guys,

Strange one, I think its a baby sampson Fish.

It has the shape of a trevor but no rakers near the tail that a trevor has.

Looks like a cross between a king and a trevor.

I'll be keen to see what other people think and if we get a definate ID.

Just had another look... check out the mouth, certainly not a trevor, no big rubber lips and completely the wrong shaped mouth and head.

I reckon its a baby Sampson Fish

Cheers,

Edited by mottyman

i call juvenile amberjack, based on shape & faded hunting stripe over the eye. another tough seriola. Good to see them here! Nice catchpost-6106-1198475608_thumb.jpg

i stand corrected,

so thats an amberjack eh... is this an uncommon thing to catch them as far south as here..

they look alot meaner than a king especially with that dark stripe across the eyes

do they fight as good as kings or better....

Edited by roosterman

i call juvenile amberjack, based on shape & faded hunting stripe over the eye. another tough seriola. Good to see them here! Nice catchpost-6106-1198475608_thumb.jpg

Although his fish in the picture doesn't have the same top fin as does this diagram...I think it isn't a juvenile amberjack...juvenile kingfish maybe...

OK so as a novice fisherman to sydney all this does is highlight how hard it is to ID fish in sydney

what do we all reckon the fisheries guys would say when a panel of forum experts is arguing kingie, trevor, juvenile amberjack with encyclopedias to hand .. whats a poor bloke standing on the rocks to do ....

OK so as a novice fisherman to sydney all this does is highlight how hard it is to ID fish in sydney

what do we all reckon the fisheries guys would say when a panel of forum experts is arguing kingie, trevor, juvenile amberjack with encyclopedias to hand .. whats a poor bloke standing on the rocks to do ....

Very good question. . . i would throw it back if i wasnt 100% sure of what it was.

Answers anyone else?

Hard to see some of the features due to the angle on the photograph perhaps, but I would have called it as a common garden variety blurter - the silver trevally. Juveniles often have the yellow striping.

The illustration above for trevally is for a giant trevally I think. Head is more rounded.

Cheers,

Bob.