Coffs Harbour

clifford

hi to all Raiders

Went out for my last fish for the week, took my folks and younger brother out. We had a late start for the day and left the ramp about 1 in the afternoon, blasted it out to the 120m mark and dropped our lures and started the waiting game. It was about 3 hours before we had our first hit the shot gun went off, it was my black bart lure the reel started to scream the old man picked up the tld 30 and held on and i mean held on it did not stop the real pealed off 2/3 of the line so we dicided to step the drag right up to sun set did nothing it just went on, it got down to about 70m of line left on the reel when we notised that the line was crossed over on the reel then snap it was all over. The fight was on then off with in a min there was only one tone that came off the reel it did not stop for a breath, after scratching our heads we dropped lures it was not long but we had a nother hit it was a small dollie about 60 cm. That was the last hit for afternoon we dicided to head back in as it was dark and we had a long way to go, it was a interesting day :1prop: .

clifford

Hey Clifford had a chat to Fishlexic about this already, when you have lost 2/3 you are better off backing your drag off rather than going to sunset, or you will lose the fish.

Have a read of this: it is off the online BTL CD from Peter Pakula-

Let’s think of the spool of a game reel as a wheel, say a bicycle wheel, with an outside rim and a hub. The wheel turns easily by pushing the outside rim with the palm of the hand, but trying to turn the wheel with one finger pushing a spoke close to the hub is much more difficult.

This is no different when we use the same principal on a game reel spool. The drag is set using a full spool of line . As it is close to the outside rim of the spool it takes far less force to turn the spool than it would take to turn the spool where the line is closer to the hub of the spool, remembering the drag setting, that is friction on the spool, remains constant.

To show this clearly we will look at various results obtained using a Shimano Tiagra 20 with 8kg Stren High Impact Tournament Line. The test was done on a full spool, at two-thirds full, one-third full and right at the bottom of the spool. Note the measurements in millimeters are taken on the line capacity of the reel, not the diameter of the spool.

The spool of the reel is 28mm. It is normal for game reels to be filled with line leaving a space for either leaders or novices who can’t level the line effectively. This is to prevent the line or leader getting jammed between the spool and reel housing. In this case full spool diameter was 4mm less than the spool diameter that is 24mm, which is about normal. The drag was then set at 3kg at normal drag setting speed. Though please note that in the following, the scales were pulled slowly.

Full Spool: Pull is at 24mm, 2kg drag

Two-Thirds Full: 16mm, 4kg drag

One-Third Full: 8mm, 6kg drag

Just on empty: 0mm, 7kg with just the line ticking off very slowly. At any speed the inertia breaks the line. Note that in the original setup the drag was set at 3kg which is a little high for 8kg. This is apparent now that with just a few turns of line left on the spool, the line will break very easily with the slightest increase in speed. The understanding of taking the reel, line and rod to their limits can only be understood by exercises and experiments such as this.

So basically sunset when you only have 1/3rd of your spool left will create excessive drag on the line, and subsequently you will usually snap off, thats why you must cater for the amount of line out, and back off your drag, even though sunset seems like the logical thing to do when you are about to be spooled.

Cheers, hope this helps

Daniel

Hi clifford

Quick get the writing pad out

There is still time to put a xmas wish list together...

"Please santa make that 5 tiagra 50 wides"

I think maybe it's time to relegate the tld 30's to the backburner just for a while.....

get some runs on the board and then start settling down with the lighter gear

or if you are running at least one fifty on board then by the sounds of it run that on the shotgun

it sounds like that is the one that seems to be the one getting nailed the most....

Cheers Warnie....

Hey Clifford had a chat to Fishlexic about this already, when you have lost 2/3 you are better off backing your drag off rather than going to sunset, or you will lose the fish.

Have a read of this: it is off the online BTL CD from Peter Pakula-

Let’s think of the spool of a game reel as a wheel, say a bicycle wheel, with an outside rim and a hub. The wheel turns easily by pushing the outside rim with the palm of the hand, but trying to turn the wheel with one finger pushing a spoke close to the hub is much more difficult.

This is no different when we use the same principal on a game reel spool. The drag is set using a full spool of line . As it is close to the outside rim of the spool it takes far less force to turn the spool than it would take to turn the spool where the line is closer to the hub of the spool, remembering the drag setting, that is friction on the spool, remains constant.

To show this clearly we will look at various results obtained using a Shimano Tiagra 20 with 8kg Stren High Impact Tournament Line. The test was done on a full spool, at two-thirds full, one-third full and right at the bottom of the spool. Note the measurements in millimeters are taken on the line capacity of the reel, not the diameter of the spool.

The spool of the reel is 28mm. It is normal for game reels to be filled with line leaving a space for either leaders or novices who can’t level the line effectively. This is to prevent the line or leader getting jammed between the spool and reel housing. In this case full spool diameter was 4mm less than the spool diameter that is 24mm, which is about normal. The drag was then set at 3kg at normal drag setting speed. Though please note that in the following, the scales were pulled slowly.

Full Spool: Pull is at 24mm, 2kg drag

Two-Thirds Full: 16mm, 4kg drag

One-Third Full: 8mm, 6kg drag

Just on empty: 0mm, 7kg with just the line ticking off very slowly. At any speed the inertia breaks the line. Note that in the original setup the drag was set at 3kg which is a little high for 8kg. This is apparent now that with just a few turns of line left on the spool, the line will break very easily with the slightest increase in speed. The understanding of taking the reel, line and rod to their limits can only be understood by exercises and experiments such as this.

So basically sunset when you only have 1/3rd of your spool left will create excessive drag on the line, and subsequently you will usually snap off, thats why you must cater for the amount of line out, and back off your drag, even though sunset seems like the logical thing to do when you are about to be spooled.

Cheers, hope this helps

Daniel

Thanks Daniel i have heard that before it was a dieing hope to slow it downbut it did not work.

Hi clifford

Quick get the writing pad out

There is still time to put a xmas wish list together...

"Please santa make that 5 tiagra 50 wides"

I think maybe it's time to relegate the tld 30's to the backburner just for a while.....

get some runs on the board and then start settling down with the lighter gear

or if you are running at least one fifty on board then by the sounds of it run that on the shotgun

it sounds like that is the one that seems to be the one getting nailed the most....

Cheers Warnie....

Hi warnie

We are running two 50w , two 30w and tld 30 but i think your right we might have to step it up another two 50w if it keeps on going this way ill have to work on the :wife: i mean santa.

Hi warnie

We are running two 50w , two 30w and tld 30 but i think your right we might have to step it up another two 50w if it keeps on going this way ill have to work on the :wife: i mean santa.

You will still have that one 30W lol, Murphy's Law, it will always get hit :1prop: Anyway, 4x50W and you are set, just put them on the riggers and corners and run the 30W on the shoddy. Unlucky mate, did you get a look at the fish at all....sounds like a blue, would have been one hell of a first fish!! Get all the gear in quick because before you know it you are spooled and onboard a trailer boat chase it with the pointy end...

Cheers,

Daniel

Hi warnie

Hi Clifford

In the meanwhile if you hear the fishing starting to ramp up with stripes being in the reckoning

change tactic's to involve

in putting two sweetened hookless lures set on the riggers with the two 30w's

run in conjunction with a normal lure way out the back on the shotgun on one off the 24kg outfit's along with your assortment of teasers set in the wash....

next have Fishlexic primed and on battle stations with the remaining 24kg outfit at hand ready with a prepared

garrie or slimey waiting......and when the next marlin turns up ready to eat something if either it end's up takeing the shottie

or the classic scenario in that been Fishlexic simply dropping the skip bait back to the lit up aggresive marlin that has

been teased to the point were it simply pounces on anything resembling a feed then zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

will be the result.......fishlexic hooked up on 24kg and fighting.........sounds easy hey.......quite often in that given situation it

can be.........at least you will be fully optimising and useing to your advantage the fight on 24kg gear...

in helping to turn the tide your way....

just another option to give consideration to.......... along with the multitude of other mounting plan's you proberly have in mind......

Merry Xmas....Warnie..

Thanks again for the replys guys!!!!! Warnie that sounds like a great idea... although i think we might need some practice!!!!! We have the lure spread down pretty well but this new technique might require a fair bit of time to get right i reckon!!!! Funny that it all takes time on the water!!!!!

As for the 50s that would probably be my turn but with heading O.S. for a couple of years soon i think clifford might have to keep working on the :wife::074::074::074:

Hope we can arange to go out with some of you more experienced guys soon!!!!!!

Merry christmas guys hope santa brings you lots of :1fishing1: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!

Edited by fishlexic

Thanks for the replys guys. daniel did not get a look at the fish would have been a sight, Warnie we have not done much in live baiting but we are keen to give it a crack we have got are selfs a rigging kit know and done a lot of reading just got to put it into practic any advise would be apreceated to show what not to do.

Hope you all had a good xmas.

clifford

Thanks for the replys guys. daniel did not get a look at the fish would have been a sight, Warnie we have not done much in live baiting but we are keen to give it a crack we have got are selfs a rigging kit know and done a lot of reading just got to put it into practic any advise would be apreceated to show what not to do.

Hope you all had a good xmas.

clifford

Hi Clifford..

Just going through the finishing touches to the gear and tackle and finishing in loading up the boat in preperation for going up north tomorrow.....so if i can remember while i am away i will try and get some pic's illiustrating and touching on

the area's you are not quite sure about.... although i'm not sure with what your not 100% on.......maybe it will highlight as you say "what not to do"

tight lines boy's all have a good one while i am away....

Cheers Warnie....

Hi Clifford..

Just going through the finishing touches to the gear and tackle and finishing in loading up the boat in preperation for going up north tomorrow.....so if i can remember while i am away i will try and get some pic's illiustrating and touching on

the area's you are not quite sure about.... although i'm not sure with what your not 100% on.......maybe it will highlight as you say "what not to do"

tight lines boy's all have a good one while i am away....

Cheers Warnie....

Thanks for that Warnie have a good trip up north good luck......

clifford