Samson Fish Serving Suggestions

choad

Scored my first samson fish yesterday and was wondering how these critters should be cooked.

I filleted one today and baked half the fish, one piece just baked with salt and oil, the other wrapped in foil with some spices. I found the fish a bit dry and tasteless. great fight though, tougher than a kingie i reckon.

how do raiders rate samsons as a table fish?

what is the best way to cook them up?

Hi all

Fight all right they are right up there with Kings and GTs.

As Shadda said the secret is to not over cook any fish. Baking Fish is hard as they all require different times and heat. Sampsons taste great, the way i like to cook mine is to cut fillets into managable portions place in a foil basket, add a bit of butter, bit of lemon juice, salt , pepper and seal foil at the top, cook over the grill on a barby, after a few minutes open one and check progress, cook accordingly. You can also try different herbs and spices to taste, including soy sauce, Yum.

Another method is to make a marinade of lemon juice, lime juice and dill , marinate pieces of fillet for 5 min then throw on hot bbq plate and cook quickly. :biggrin2::biggrin2:

Kilacarp :

Hi all

Fight all right they are right up there with Kings and GTs.

As Shadda said the secret is to not over cook any fish. Baking Fish is hard as they all require different times and heat. Sampsons taste great, the way i like to cook mine is to cut fillets into managable portions place in a foil basket, add a bit of butter, bit of lemon juice, salt , pepper and seal foil at the top, cook over the grill on a barby, after a few minutes open one and check progress, cook accordingly. You can also try different herbs and spices to taste, including soy sauce, Yum.

Another method is to make a marinade of lemon juice, lime juice and dill , marinate pieces of fillet for 5 min then throw on hot bbq plate and cook quickly. :biggrin2::biggrin2:

Kilacarp :

thanks for that.

the rest of the fish was fried up today until just cooked and the meal wasn't bad.

thankks for the suggestions.

G'day,

We got amongst them the other day and did sashimi. Tops. Equal to kingfish in the flavour department. Also did a salad with the raw fish on rocket lettuce, topped with a wasabi dressing made of wasabi, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil and a bit of sugar. Very nice.