Kariong Gardens Dam

patl

has anyone tried the dam at kariong for cod, silvers etc...

I know you have to pay but have seen a couple of pretty good pictures of cod out of there lately, being 15 minutes from home it could be worth a look

I know you have to pay to get into the Penang Gardens but I didnt know you had to pay to fish the dam. It is not fenced off and is easily accessed at any time. At least it was when I was out there 5 months ago, maybe it has changed since then. There was always people fishing there when I went out ( only to run my dog in the park there )

The dam (pond) is only open to fishing on sundays from 0900-1700hrs and costs $12,it used to be open at 0700 but nobody was showing up that early.I have fished there twice the first time with lures from 0700-1100 with not a touch,the guy there said you dont get too many on lures. The next time we took frozen prawns and chicken fillets and caught 2 cod to 60cm 2 golderns to 50cm one silver and one catfish. So if youve got nothing better to do its ok but i wont be rushing back in a hurry.

cheers

Mick

Thanks for the replies, I was jsut curious and thought it may be worth a shot in Feb with lures when it gets hotter.

If it is mainly a bait place I am not really interested.

I have got a cod in a fish tank at home and it is amazing to watch the effects the barometer and weather conditions have

post-75-1104830860_thumb.jpg

Guest Target

Patl

Thats a nice little cod, how old is he? I tossed up between the cod or a barra for my tank, and ended up with a barra because I thought the cod would grow too slowly. I am regretting it noww, in two months my barra has grown from 4cm to about 10cm, and he just keeps growing. At this rate he will outgrow the tank by the end of this year. Great to watch though

Adrian

I have had a few native fish in tanks

Barra - sometimes they will only eat live food which can get pretty expensive unless you can catch enough mosquito fish etc... to feed it. But they way they light up and stalk and then make fish dissapear is great.

Silver Perch - grow really quick but rule the tank

Yellas - Grow slowly but usually only come out at night so you never see them until they get big.

Bass - same as Barra, but moody depending on the barometer

Catfish - just grow and grow

Mangrove Jack - absolutely amazing the way the colours light up and how savage the attack is, I think this one died from hitting the glass too hard chasing food.

Bream - it is amazing how aggressive the bream actually where, it was in a tank with catfish and a barra, most times it was the bream that ate things first

This cod was about 40mm long whem I got it, it is now about 150mm long. We got it at the floral spring festival they have at Kariong each year (I think August), I think it was about $10. It eats everything, brine shrimp, goldfish, blood worms, crayfish and fish food. It will be interesting to see how big he gets, he is in a 5ft tank on his own except for a couple of red claw crays, which help feed him by producing babies.

Guest Target

Thanks for the info Patl

Looks like my little boy is going to outgrow his 3ft tank by the end of the year... oh well, good excuse to get a bigger tank. And so far, have to agree, he loves live food, I should call him houdini, everything just dissapears as soon as it hits the tank.... have to start catcing moscito fish now, too expensive to keep buying feeder fish. Lucky he also likes squid and fish flesh (but he wont touch pilchard)

The Mangrove Jack sounds like an intersting fish to have.

Thanks

Adrian

Guest Jocool
The Mangrove Jack sounds like an intersting fish to have.

Thanks

Adrian

25770[/snapback]

The Mangos are an awesome fish! I fell in love with them when I saw one about 30 cm in an aquarium. It was going for around $300! :1yikes: OH....and you can only have 1 Mango in a tank!

I have been meaning to start up an outdoor tank to get it ready for a Mango, but I have to do my rear patio first.

I have also heard that the size of the tank will limit the size the fish grows to, so perhaps your Barra will be OK for a while yet!

Guest Jocool
You can have more things in the tank but when you get up the next morning there will be only 1 thing still swimming

25791[/snapback]

Too true! :risata:

it is amazing to watch the effects the barometer and weather conditions have

Spot on there ! The barometer has a big effect on fish. I have a barometer function in my watch & keep an eye on it when I'm fishing.

Its a Casio Sea Pathfinder & it has barometer, compass, tides ,moon phase & thermometer built in.

The barometric presssure function has a line graph display which shows the pressure every 2 hours for the last 26 hours as well as the current reading.

Handy gadget & with the compass no one can tell you to get lost :1tongue: